Wednesday, January 1, 2020

I'm Off


I spent quite a bit of time in the kitchen today ensuring our health, wealth, and happiness for the year, as well as making stock from the rooster A. finally dispatched a couple of days ago. This all produced many dishes, thus adding to my kitchen work for the day.

But tomorrow, I'm not planning on cooking anything but breakfast. I'm not cleaning up anything, either.

And how am I doing that? By leaving.

See, I told A. about a month ago that all I wanted for my birthday was to go stay a night in a hotel. By myself. What A. called, "An introvert's perfect 40th birthday."

Yup.

I'm going to a small city 90 miles away and staying just the one night at a hotel there. I'll only be gone about 36 hours, but none of those hours will involve cooking, cleaning, or caring for anyone but myself.

I asked the boys what they would do with Daddy while I was gone.

Jack said: "Mommy, it's going to be totally out of control."

Cubby said: "Lots of snacks, lots of videos, and candy."

Charlie said: "It's going to be chaos. I have big plans. The remnants will be obvious."*

Cubby wondered what Poppy thought about my being gone. I said that she doesn't have much of a sense of time yet, so until I was actually gone, she wouldn't have any opinions. "Yeah," said Charlie, "And you're not wearing your earrings yet, so she isn't suspicious."

Indeed.

I must admit that I'm going to miss these four whackos:


But I also must admit that I'm very much looking forward to not being on call for them for even a short period of time.

* I swear that's EXACTLY what he said. Ominous, to say the least.

7 comments:

Lindsay C said...

Happy New Year's AND Happy Mom Vacation! Hope you enjoy your stay away ... are you going the hotel or the airbnb route?? Either way I am sure that you will have an incredible time and when you get back I'm sure the kids will be searching for all of the veggies that A might "forget" to make! ;)
- Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful stay! Enjoy!
Linda

Kay said...

I hope Daddy and Poppy survive(d). She looks worried in the photo. Eagerly waiting for the update on the "remnants."

Happy Belated Birthday. I hope you had a wonderful, RELAXING time. It sounds wonderful to me and I don't have 4 littles; just an old duffer Farmer.

tu mere said...

Absolutely love Charlie's responses. Gifted in such a very different way. Also love the comment about the earrings. Kids really do notice everything, at least everything that realtes to them. Relax, read, eat without preparing, and enjoy the quiet. Kind of like your room cave in Alaska, long, long ago.

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfect! Have a great mini-vacation! Mary in MN

flask said...

that totally rocks.

and good for you for knowing that this is what you want and good for your family for being supportive.

so often we don't have the space as women to just have a little quiet alone time and goodness knows with your crew you don't get a lot!

Anonymous said...

That is a great picture! The way Poppy appears to be looking from slightly behind, and the expression on her face is precious and priceless.
Yay you for your perfect birthday choice. Cooking Really loses its charm after doing it for more than 50 years so you might keep that choice in mind for other years. Just sayin'....Shirley