Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Contemplating Eternity


Yesterday while I was on lunchroom duty in the elementary school, wiping applesauce off the floor and reminding the kindergarteners for the 26th time to please stay in their seats and eat their food*, Charlie came over to me and asked, "Hey, Mom, do you know what would happen if a watch and time had a fight?"

Not really being in the mental place to give such a question much thought, and also not really sure what he was talking about, I asked back, "No, what?"

"Well, time would win. Know why?"

"Why?"

"Because the watch would eventually stop, but time goes on forever."

That was not really what I was expecting, but I had to acknowledge the logic of his philosophical train of thought.

And then he went back to his peanut butter and jelly sandwich, no doubt to mull over the meaning of life and the purpose of human existence. At least until recess, when the game of tag on the playground drove all the philosophy out of his head.

* Yes, being a teacher's aide is pretty much just like being a mom. Except I get paid to wipe up applesauce and nag at the school.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, that's what my mom said her whole 13 years as a TA,plus she had to drive 67 kids 35 miles to and from school, before and after she was the TA. That was when buses wouldn't go over 35 mph! -Susan in NC

mil said...

And I wonder how Charlie visualized such a fight--

Gemma's person said...

Look out world....here comes Charlie, lordy, a real thinker. The new Steve Jobs.

tu mere said...

Oh my goodness. I can't wait to see what Charlie becomes in life. He has such extraordinary thought processes! The question always is: How do you channel such uniqueness? But you already know that don't you! Good luck, Mom.