Monday, April 13, 2020

Real-time, Sane Sourdough: Part 2


Okay! Time to crack on with our sourdough!

Now that it's been sitting for 8, 9, 10 hours, I do the next addition of flour. This time I did it at 6:50 p.m., although I can do it anytime between 6:45 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. That is, when I remember after dinner and before I go to bed.

Often I'll be on my way to bed and remember I haven't dealt with the sourdough, at which point I swear gently to myself and shuffle back into the kitchen to tend to the sourdough. Because sourdough has no mercy.

Anyway.

Here it is, pre-addition:


Sing it with me: "Tiny bubbles . . ."

Then I do the same thing I did the first time. That is, four cups flour and two cups water, mix mix mix until all mixed up.

Then it looks like this:


Looks familiar.

I should mention that I make all-white-flour bread, although I will tell you later at what point I added whole-grain flours when I used to do that.

And then, because I go to bed early, I put the sourdough to bed, too. In the refrigerator.


Good night, sweet sourdough.

It'll just sit there in the refrigerator until I get up in the morning. And with that, we will leave you for the night.

Winter update: I don't put it in the refrigerator overnight in the winter, because our kitchen is around 58 degrees overnight. So I just leave it out on the counter. If your kitchen is very cool at night, you don't have to put it in the refrigerator overnight.

To be continued . . .

1 comment:

mil said...

We're still on the same schedule, but my kitchen is usually cool enough so that I can leave my whole-wheat mix out all night. Come summer, I use the fridge more. (Note: most people would not want to live at my temperatures.)