Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Construction by Kristin


Although there are many things I do well, building things is not one of them. Never hand me a hammer and expect something usable to come from my efforts. In fact, it's entirely possible I will end up with an unusable, exploded thumb.

But if you need something cobbled together out of cardboard boxes and duct tape? I am your woman.

Luckily for the chicks, a bigger home for them fell within my scope of building. That is, I could duct tape some pieces of cardboard to one of the old drawers we took out of the bunk bed to make the drawer higher and voila! A chick house.

I even found one of the dividers for the dogs' crates and taped that on one end of the box so that the children had a viewing end. That also has the benefit of keeping one end of the box open for better air flow.


And for better photos.

On the other end, with a solid piece of cardboard there and the heat lamp, the chicks can get into a warmer area if they feel cold.

See? Not only am I a general contractor, I am an architect. And I didn't have to pick up a hammer.

2 comments:

Gemma's person said...

As long as your box doesn't catch fire!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

G.P.: The heat lamp has a 75-watt regular light bulb in it. No danger.