Friday, May 1, 2020

Friday Food: The Elk Is Back


Friday

Short version: Mutton backstrap, pasta, frozen green peas

Long version: The backstrap is one of the best cuts of meat, which means I don't have to do anything with it other than slice it, season it, and fry it. Which I did. And it was good.

The pasta had random sauce I made from some pureed tomatoes (the tasteless Sysco ones that I cooked a bit and then pureed in the food processor, skins and all, before putting small containers of it in the freezer), the last two cubes of pesto from the freezer, and some heavy cream. Sometimes those kinds of thrown-together sauces work, and sometimes they don't. This one worked.

Probably it was mostly because of the pesto. I really hope the eleven basil plants I have to plant out soon make it and produce a lot of basil for pesto this year.

Saturday

Short version: Ground beef tacos with homemade corn tortillas

Long version: Standard taco meat and tortillas, with the exciting addition of hot chili sauce for A. I make taco meat pretty mild--I could claim it's because of all the small children I'm feeding, but really it's because of me and my wimpy tastebuds--and A. has said he would like some hot sauce to put on tacos and chili and so on.

I was going to buy some hot sauce, but then I decided that was stupid when I had a huge bag of dried red chilis A. bought at the store a couple of months ago. All I did with them was soak them in hot water until they were soft, then puree them in the food processor and add some salt and vinegar. It was pretty hot, and A. was very pleased with it. As was Cubby. His tastebuds are far tougher than mine.

Random photo break! A. took this one down in the canyon at a place they stopped to fish (unsuccessfully):


This looks unreal to me, like a movie set or something.

Sunday

Short version: Pork, breads, squash, frozen green beans, graham cracker cookies

Long version: Pork butt cooked carnitas-style (that is, slow cooked, then fried in lard), more of the garlic bread dough that I cut into individual portions and allowed the children to season as they wished, and the very last of the frozen squash from last year.

The cookies are a recipe I got from the lady we used to buy milk from. They have only whole-wheat flour and the main sweeteners are Sucanat (the lady gave some to me, which is the only reason I have it) and honey. That makes them practically health food. I make them in small squares and call them cookies. They're pretty good, actually, although calling them cookies is a stretch.

Monday

Short version: Split-pea curry, leftover pork, leftover rice, frozen green beans, arugula salad

Long version: My children sometimes engage in what I call "mob eating." That is, one of them gets so enthusiastic about a particular food that they all jump on the bandwagon and eat multiple servings of whatever it is. In this case, it was the curry.

It was just a yellow curry of split peas, with some random pureed tomatoes I needed to use up, and a bit of heavy cream, but the children, led by Cubby, ate SO MUCH CURRY. They all ate two servings of  rice and curry and, when the rice was gone, started on bowls of just curried split peas. I put a stop to that after a couple of bowls each. I feared for their digestion.

The arugula was starting to bolt and will definitely finish that process in the multiple days this weekend when we're supposed to be over 90 degrees (WHAT?), so I pulled it up. I'm sad to say good-bye to the arugula. It never lasts as long as I would like it to.

I helped Jack do one of the crafts his preschool teacher sent home:


It's a chick. He did not like it, hence the sulky face.

And then, of course, Poppy wanted to make something, so I stretched my creativity to the limit and helped her make a pig:


You think I'm joking, but this really is the limit of my crafting ability. I would be the world's worst preschool teacher.

Tuesday

Short version: Leftover curry, boiled potatoes, fried eggs, frozen green beans

Long version: Despite his enthusiasm the night before, Charlie elected to not have the curry over the potatoes. Everyone else had it, though, along with the eggs and the inevitable green beans.

Wednesday

Short version: Pizza, cucumber slices with vinegar and salt

Long version: I decided to make pizza mostly because I needed to trim the basil plants that are really getting too tall for the grow box in the kitchen but can't go outside just yet. Also, it was going to be cool enough to crank the oven up for pizza without wanting to douse myself in ice water.

As if I really need reasons to make pizza.

These were particularly good, too. One was just cheese, and one was half bacon with anchovy paste and half roasted bell pepper and onion/green garlic/thinly sliced raw onion.

I ate the one with the variety of alliums, which was one of the best pizzas I have ever had. More alliums, more better.

And why did we have bell peppers and cucumber? Because A. went to the grocery store. For the first time in seven weeks. I was SO EXCITED.

So were the children. They dove right into the grapes as soon as he got home. I had a seltzer. And there was much rejoicing in the land.

Thursday

Short version: Elk bites, leftover potatoes, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: You thought the elk was gone, didn't you? THINK AGAIN.

There are still at least three bags of elk in the freezer. I figured enough time had elapsed since we last ate it that the children wouldn't be too displeased to see it on their plates.

I was right. They all went back for seconds of meat. The ketchup I allow them to have it with it might have something to do with that.

Charlie ate all of his salad without comment, which is how I discovered that it's not the salad he objects to, but the vinaigrette I usually make for a salad dressing. It doesn't take much longer to make the ranch dressing, so I guess I'll be doing that more often.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have picked the seltzer over the grapes, too!
Is summer coming already to NM this weekend?!? WOW! 90 degrees!!!

beef & vegetable stew, garlic bread
takeout
mini meatloaves, roasted carrots, broccoli
macaroni & cheese, broccoli
zucchini pizza, kale salad, lemon cake
crockpot pork tenderloin & sweet potatoes, spinach & mushrooms sautéed, & lemon cake
and tonight either pizza or salmon patties
Linda

Tammy said...

It's the elk that never ends, it just goes on and on, my friends! lol
Glad to hear A got the store for some 'new things.' Sometimes that's all the pick me up you need.

Lets see....

Grilled chicken (dh is becoming quite the Marinade Master, it was devine), new potatoes, butter beans.

Pork Chops mac n cheese corn

Turkey and Dressing casserole, peas

Subs, b/c I had to go out to get meds, so why not? Called ahead, just had to run in and pay/pick up. Masks all around!

Beef Stroganoff, corn


Have a great week!

mil said...

I hope the chicks are doing well--

Friday: grilled cheese sandwich
Saturday: take out from the Fargo: cheeseburger and fries. Yum.
Sunday: a bowl of kapusta and a quesadilla. Dick made the kapusta, and it was tasty.
Monday: lima bean casserole
Tuesday: kapusta and an apple.
Wednesday: lamb, mushroom, and barley soup
Thursday: chickpea rotini with pesto and pecorino cheese (which helps the chickpea rotini.

I haven't gone grocery shopping in a long time--fresh vegetables are gone, except for cabbage, hidden somewhere in the back of the fridge. I must dig it out.

Anonymous said...

Hello there

This week we ate

Monday - Pita bread stuffed with homemade hummus, tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts and lettuce, had roasted garlic potato wedges to go with

Tuesday - Sweet potato and red pepper soup, bread sticks, cheese

Wednesday - Cheese and green onion omelets, leftover breadsticks, honey crisp apple slices with peanut butter

Thursday - Had some leftover soup so we had that with grilled cheese pickle sandwiches, carrots and dip

Friday - Huzbeast is getting a little twitchy about having very little meat this week so I have a roast going in the crockpot with potatoes, onions and carrots for him...he's a happy guy knowing this. Daughter and I will probably have rice bowls with all the veggie odds and ends in the veggie bin

Anonymous said...

Saturday - pizza with red sauce, mushrooms, green pepper, andouille sausage
Sunday - marinated and grilled pork chops, crazy good rice, roasted asparagus
Monday - Mexican baked eggs on crazy good rice
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - leftover Mexican baked eggs, roasted asparagus
Thursday - marinated and grilled london broil, twice baked potatoes, roasted asparagus
Friday - shrimp and mushrooms on pasta, steamed broccoli
Pam