Tuesday, June 30, 2020

A Garden Revelation


We are inundated with squash plants this year. One of the things we learned last year is that squash is happy to grow here. This is sadly not the case with all vegetables (alas for the leeks), but squash can handle our climate. So we figured we should roll with that.

A. planted some saved squash seeds* back in January as an experiment to see if they would perform like a volunteer and come up early. They did.

Then I planted half a dozen out in the pasture.

And we have at least three volunteers in the back garden where we had many volunteers come up last year thanks to an old compost pile.


Last year's volunteer squash that ate the back yard. (It got even bigger than this in the end.)

All together, I'd say we have at least 14 squash plants. And as everyone knows, squash plants are very, very prolific. It is not unusual to get half a dozen squash on one plant. So 14 plants times 6 squash per plant is . . .

Well, it's a LOT of squash. Way more than I would be able to eat as winter squash in one season. Or even give away, I suspect.

However.

At least a couple of our plants are from seeds we saved from Rafael's calabaza that he gave us last year. We know, thanks to Rafael, those are calabazas when allowed to ripen fully on the vine, at which point they are a hard-skinned winter squash. But they are calabacitas when harvested at an immature stage in the summer, in which form they are cooked like zucchini.

None of the calabacitas have appeared on those plants yet, but it made me think: If the calabaza can be eaten at an immature stage, why not other winter squash? Like, say, the unidentifiable volunteer in the middle of my tomato plants that already has two baseball-sized squash on it?

Why not, indeed.

So I pulled those two squash off, chopped them up, and sauteed them in olive oil.

TA DA! Bonus garden vegetables!

I had to remove some of the seed part, because even the immature seeds in a winter squash are fairly big at an early stage, and I think this would only work when the skins are still thin and tender enough to be easily poked with a fingernail, but still. Early garden vegetables from a plant that I have not had to tend, and a way to use some of the avalanche of squash before it smothers us this fall.

Garden victory is mine. At least, when it comes to the squash.

* Every single one of the seeds we saved from various varieties last year and planted this year germinated. I purchased exactly one packet of squash seeds this year--Delicata--and of the six seeds I planted, only ONE germinated. So annoying.

4 comments:

tu mere said...

Looking forward to your Friday food log with squash and cabbage receipes the whole family will eat. If not, you're going to be really challenged to finish off all those veggies by yourself. Glad you've got families/friends to share your bounty with.

mil said...

The year I planted delicatas, one seed germinated. I can't remember how many I planted--but I do remember that one germinated, and I got two little squashes. Of the six kabocha seeds I planted, six plants came up. I hate thinning them, but it has to be done! I have planted my butternuts and my summer squash (a Middle Eastern sort; they are the best), but they have yet to emerge.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is great! No more frozen vegetables for awhile. :)
Linda

Gemma's person said...

In my opinion you are not missing anything by not growing delicatas...nothing to right home about.
We grow what is called a neck pumpkin , it looks like a butternut squash and they keep forever in the cool dark of our backroom. It has a longer neck that is full of meat then a butternut. Very good taste.
Provider green beans...hard to pick from stem.
Contender is what we grow...easy to pick and prolific, good taste.