Friday, July 3, 2020

Friday Food: Now With Very Unattractive Food Photos!


Friday

Short version: Tuna patties, leftover potatoes, carrot sticks with curry dip

Long version: I counted this meal a win because I was totally going to punk out with tuna salad (83 degrees in the kitchen at 5 p.m.), but pulled myself together and made tuna patties instead.

I was going to fry the leftover potatoes, too, but my fortitude didn't extend to that.

Saturday

Short version: Bacon and egg sandwiches, Grandma Brown's baked beans, green beans

Long version: Since I had a supply of bacon grease on hand, I decided to cook the green beans in that. Good call. Way better than boiling them in the microwave, which is what I usually do.

Sunday

Short version: Antelope, lazy German potato salad, green beans

Long version: Let's put bacon in everything!

The antelope was two small roasts, browned in bacon fat, then pulled out, sliced, and returned to the pan with a cube of garlic scape pesto and some heavy cream. Such a good combination.

And for Lindsay, who wants to see what our weird game meats look like:


After browning and slicing, and before going back into the pan.


The finished (and not very photogenic) product. I should've artfully strewn some basil chiffonade over this for the photo, right?*

The potato salad was just boiled, chopped potatoes doused with vinegar, salt, and a very, very small amount of sugar. I have had literally sweet German potato salad before, which I consider unappealing in the extreme. I put in about two pinches of sugar. 

I didn't want to cut into a whole onion for just the bit I would need for the potatoes, so I just used some roasted onions I already had in the refrigerator. Also bacon bits and extra bacon grease, of course, because of such things are a German potato salad made.

And the same green beans as the night before, because again, there was that handy bacon grease.

Monday

Short version: Tuna skillet

Long version: Bacon bits (and the grease from cooking them), diced onion and celery, tuna, cooked rice, frozen peas, mayonnaise, grated cheddar cheese.

Have you ever wondered what three pounds of tuna might look like in a can? Well! Wonder no more!


Same unrealistically inspirational mug for scale . . .

Before A. and Cubby went to see the MiL in New York, she asked me if there was anything she could send back with them. And I said (among other things), "Tuna." 

See, I can't find the bigger, 12-ounce cans of solid white tuna in stores here, so I used to order it online by the case. Then came a global pandemic and panic buying, and just like that, tuna was pretty much no longer available online. It is, however, still available at stores in bigger cities, apparently. So the MiL bought one of these giant cans at BJs for me. 

It's a lot of tuna. You're going to see it again for a few nights coming up.

Tuesday

Short version: Tuna salad sandwiches, carrot sticks

Long version: What does one do when there are still two pounds of tuna in the refrigerator and it's 83 degrees in the kitchen? The answer is obvious.

The big news this day: I harvested The First Tomato, a Stupice. And then I ate it. Without sharing. Because that is the tradition of The First Tomato.


A little (very little) selfishness is a good thing sometimes.

Wednesday

Short version: Pork chops with cream gravy, boiled potato chunks, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: We very, very rarely have pork chops, but A. found some boneless center-cut ones in the clearance section of the meat department last time he was at the grocery store. These I browned and cooked through, then removed to make a gravy with finely diced onion, milk, and cornstarch.

I oversalted it a bit, but it was still pretty good.

Thursday

Short version: Pork slop for A., tuna salad sandwiches and frozen peas for the kids, salad for me 

Long version: The MiL used to make a combination after Thanksgiving of leftover turkey and gravy served over mashed potatoes that she called Turkey Slop. I made a combination of leftover pork and gravy, but then I just mixed in leftover rice and some frozen peas. It was still pretty sloppy.

This meal probably would have finished up the giant can of tuna, but then when I was making the tuna salad, I overdid the mayonnaise and had to add another 12-ounce can of tuna to it so it wouldn't be so gloppy. And so now, there is more tuna salad in the refrigerator. Forever.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

* Ha. That'll be the day. If you could see and hear what my kitchen is like right before dinner, you would know that I literally do not have time for that nonsense. Too busy yelling at kids to wash their hands and shaking clutching children off my legs while I dish up food. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Friday we had ham steak and mac and cheese/hash browns and sliced tomatoes.
Saturday was steak and masses of cauliflower.
Sunday was eggs and sausage links and toast.
Monday it was hot and we had tuna salad, and it was excellent. I made it the same way last time and it was really blah. I don't know what I did different.
Tuesday was our anniversary and we had take and bake pizza. Shocking, I know.
Wednesday the wheels fell off as my back went out in a big way resulting in an emergency trip to the chiro and a phone dr appt and a trip to the pharmacy. We went through the McDonald's drive through and called it good enough.
Thursday all I could manage was wieners and baked beans. And hubby did the cooking, so all I did was think of what to have.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda (I presume): So sorry to hear about your back. That happened to me once and it was AWFUL. I hope it's improving.

mil said...

On tuna salad--I'm glad that the big can came in handy--maybe too much so. A touch of mustard perks up tuna salad--a trick I learned from A's brother, who actually takes the time to taste what he eats.

I should look up Florence's recipe for sweet and sour green beans--Bae used to make it, and I think it would come in handy.

Very random food this week; I made the mistake of eating regular pasta with my pesto, and I shouldn't have. No gluten for a week! I shall eat yogurt.

Actually, the boys came up with the name Turkey Slop--derived from school cafeteria lunches.

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of your tomato.
I have never seen a can of tuna that large in our grocery stores, here in PA.

chicken cheese steaks, roasted potatoes & green beans
takeout
chicken skillet dish with macaroni, broccoli, spinach & cheese
fish taco's
grilled pork chops, sauteed carrots, mushrooms, spinach & potato salad
grilled hot dogs, turkey burger, potato salad, baked beans
And for tonight grilled chicken caesar salad, garlic bread
Linda

Anonymous said...

Too many anons. I'm Lucy.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Lucy: That's funny. You left your comment at the same time Linda almost always does, and your meals sounded much like hers. She usually signs her name, but I figured she just forgot. But now that I know it's you: Lucy, I hope your back is on the mend.

Anonymous said...

Saturday - pizza with sauteed greens, mushrooms, andouille sausage and salad
Sunday - grilled sausages and hotdog, salad, strawberries
Monday - chicken cooked in red curry tomato sauce, crazy good rice salad
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - leftover chicken and rice, broccolini
Thursday - lettuce cups with spiced ground pork filling
Friday - leftover chicken, mashed potatoes, broccolini
Pam

Gemma's person said...

sausage ,biscuits , milk gravy
green beans(thanks to our garden and it's master)new potatoes as well, smoked sausage
swimming and frozen pizza
cheese spread /bagel, oj store pepper,cukes(garden)in vinegar,
green bean redux
avocado mash/mayo, bagel,more store pepper orange
bacon sandwich boiled buttered new taters

Lindsay C said...

Yikes ... I will definitely be staying away from Antelope! I guess there is a saying ... you eat with your eyes! ;)
I am pretty sure that I will keep to eating my ground turkey, ground chicken, chicken breasts, turkey burgers, etc. But thanks for stepping up to the "camera" and sharing some pics! Also, do any of your kids ever protest certain meats because they aren't "typical" meats??

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Lindsay: No. These ARE typical meats for them. And in fact, the more exotic the meat, the more excited they are to try it. Like the cow tongue. Or the beaver tail.

Gemma's person said...

Lindsay C... these kids have grown up having atypical meats . If A. is game to try it and sometimes fix it,his kids seem to thrive on the challenge. :)
Atypical meat to them would be what we eat all the time.

Lindsay C said...

Kristin - I think that your children have been blessed with an opportunity to experience things that I never did. While I can't say that I will be seeking out opportunities to eat cow's tongue or beaver tail, I will know that I could probably reach out to you for a recipe if I ever find that I need to cook up some elk, antelope, etc. Thank you for sharing! :)