Tuesday, July 7, 2020

The Newest Member of the Kitchen Team


I've been holding out on you. I mean, we've had a new range for three whole days now and you didn't know about it.

I know. Shameful.

Anyway, I guess it's not really that exciting, because the new range is pretty much exactly the same as the old range. Which was really old. It was a brand called a "Holiday," that is no longer made. It was in the house when we got here, so I don't know exactly how old it is, but I'm guessing about thirty years old.

To replace the Holiday, I purposely bought what is euphemistically referred to as an "entry-level" range, for which you can read "cheapest." I did not want anything with excess electronics and digital displays. Or buttons. Not only does that stuff always break sooner rather than later, but I wanted to be sure that I could use it when the power goes out.

The Holiday didn't have any electronic parts at all. But since it's no longer possible to buy propane stoves with pilot lights--at least not at a standard appliance store--I settled for getting one that only has electric igniters. If the power does go out, I can still light the stove burners with a match.

A. installed this thing in about fifteen minutes, which was something of a miracle. I was sure there would be some mysterious parts that would need to be ordered and would delay the installation. But no.

There was one part that had to be taken from the old stove and put on the new one, but other than that, it looked pretty easy. Possibly because I didn't do any of the work.


Range Senior and Range Junior during installation.

Although they look similar, the new range has several important differences. For one, the burners actually light on their own without the aid of a match. For another, the oven door closes tightly. Also, the burners aren't clogged with decades of grease, resulting in dirty, greasy, sooty stuff getting all over the bottoms of my pots and thus all over the kitchen.

And finally, and perhaps most excitingly, the oven has two whole shelves. I've been working with a single oven shelf for two years now, so this is a very welcome change. 

There are a couple of things that I'm still getting used to with the new range--namely, two of the four burners don't seem to have a low setting, so I have to be careful which ones I use when I want to cook something gently--but overall, it's a great improvement.

There. Now you're all caught up with the excitement at our house.

Carry on.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOORAY! I'm happy for you! And two oven shelves. No more green beans that aren't roasted to a golden brown.
I'm not much for all the new bells & whistles when it comes to appliances, either. Just give me the basics so I can get a meal on the table.
Linda


















Anonymous said...

For what it is worth, my range with electric ignition can't be lit with a match because it won't let gas flow if there is no electricity. This is to prevent you gassing yourself while trying to preheat the oven if, say, the breaker has tripped or something. Might want to give it a try before it is critical.

I long for a new range but there are things higher on The List. For now the cooktop works okay but we use a "countertop oven" as the oven in the range died.

Congrats!

sheila said...

All those electronic panels in new ranges fail because if you are using them you make lots moisture and that gets inside the panel and zap they go kaput. I learned that from an appliance repair guy.

Anonymous said...

Oh, hooray! And maybe your kitchen will stay a bit cooler, in addition to oven things cooking at generally the right temp, and also using less fuel. :)

I would love a propane range. Just not in the cards at present, and probably never.

Karen.

Anonymous said...

If I squint, I seem to see that the new range is an Amana--an old and reliable brand. Am I right? or should I keep that long-postponed appointment with the optometrist?
Mary in MN

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mary: Nope, you're right. It's an Amana. Good to know it's reliable. It had better be, with the amount of use it's going to get.

Joellen said...

Yay for the the new stove!!

tu mere said...

Now all you need is a/my dryer and we'll all welcome you into the world of applicances that, when needed, make your life easier. Really excited for you and your "new" stove!