Friday, June 19, 2020

Friday Food: Sausage and Potatoes. And Repeat.


Friday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, fried potatoes, carrots and radishes with ranch dressing, sauteed spinach and tomatoes

Long version: I made a large pot of boiled potato chunks this day, both to use up the last of the now sad-looking big box of Sysco potatoes and to have some potatoes already cooked for the coming hot days.

The spinach also came from Sysco, in a five-pound bag. It was fresh spinach, which means it was a very large bag. But even a very large bag of spinach cooks down to not much spinach. I froze most of it in balls to use later, but this night I cooked some of it with the now-wrinkly grape tomatoes my mom brought.

Saturday

Short version: Barbecue pork, garlic bread, baked beans, frozen peas, cucumber spears

Long version: Leftover pork with the New York State barbecue sauce the MiL sent back with A. She also sent several cans of Grandma Brown's baked beans, another New-York-State-specific product, and the ideal of baked beans according to my children.

Sunday

Short version: Antelope, fried potatoes, frozen peas

Long version: This was a boned-out roast that I browned, then took out, sliced, and put back in the pan with a couple of cubes of garlic scape pesto and a bit of heavy cream.

And more potatoes.

Monday

Short version: Antelope fajitas, frozen green beans

Long version: Another roast, this time browned, sliced, and then added back to the pan with a sliced onion and bell pepper, plus cumin and chile powder.

The children got to have theirs with flour tortillas that my mom brought, which made them happy.

And then, after Cubby ate his burrito, he asked me if he could have another flour tortilla with baked beans in it. We had some beans left, so I said okay, and then he made himself an enormous baked bean burrito. It had like a cup of beans in it.

He ate every bite. Okay then.

I feel like this might be the most boring Friday Food post in the (long) history of Friday Food posts. Maybe we should pause for a photo? Yes? Okay.



One of the giant slabs of black walnut A. brought back from New York, with Poppy for scale. She is not tiny. The slab is just that big.

Well, that made everything much more exciting, didn't it? Sure.

Tuesday

Short version: Barbecue chicken sandwiches, fried potatoes, coleslaw, bribery Oreos

Long version: The last package of those giant bone-in chicken breasts, just simmered until they were shreddable, then mixed with more of the New York barbecue sauce.

And more potatoes. Told you it was a large pot of potatoes.

I promised the kids Oreos if they would get the living room picked up really well so I could vacuum the next morning. I'm sure our neighbor--Miss Georgia--who gave us the Oreos would approve of my using them in this way.

Wednesday

Short version: Vegan tamales, antelope, frozen green beans

Long version: I know you all just did a double-take at the word "vegan" up there. Has such a thing ever been seen before here in this chronicle of carnivorous cooking?

No. (But I hope you appreciated the alliteration there.)

The tamales came from the bed-and-breakfast-type place my parents stay at when they visit us. The lady who owns it stocks the kitchen with all kinds of things, and one of those things was a package of frozen vegan tamales from a Santa Fe tamale company. My parents brought them here thinking we might make them one of the nights they were visiting, but it was really hot then and I didn't want to steam anything for 30 minutes.

It was hot last night, too, but I steamed the tamales anyway.

They were tasty, but . . . lacking. Lacking the adhesiveness and flavor that a cup of lard gives them, that is.

We ate them with sour cream, cheese, and, in some cases, antelope meat. So that pretty much negates that whole "vegan" thing.

You expected anything else from us?

Thursday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, pasta with pesto, carrot sticks with ranch dressing

Long version: This was real pesto, made with basil instead of just garlic scapes. This is the first time this year that we've had enough basil from the five plants still alive in the garden to make pesto.

Basil pesto is definitely better than garlic scape pesto.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was there any ring counting on the tree slab to find out the age?

zucchini pizza, leftover potato salad, chocolate chip bar
chinese takeout
grilled pork chops, green beans, roasted potatoes
fish taco's in shells this time
husband helping a friend move furniture, so I had roasted potatoes & mushrooms with spinach & cheese on top
pork stir fry with vegetables over rice
chicken patties, broccoli for tonight
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Whatever was in the frig that didn't move or have mold.
Yogurt.
cream cheese mixed with herbs on baby croissant.
chicken,cauliflower,tater tots cheese casserole,
hamburgers/tots.
chicken,cheese in corn tortillas
peppers on assorted things during the week
and avocado.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: Not that I know of.

G.P.: That first line is the best summation of a week's eating I have ever seen.

Anonymous said...

Friday was a day of errands and rushing around, resulting in take and bake pizza.
Saturday was steak with fried potatoes and onions.
Sunday was a busy day as well and we opted for eggs and cantaloupe.
Monday I spent all day rectifying medical billing errors, making appointments, and getting preauthorizations, and I was in no mood for the planned cube steaks. I craved a chicken pot pie so that is what I had, and DH made do with a sandwich.
Tuesday was hellishly hot, and we just had sandwiches and salad.
Wednesday we finally got the cube steaks into the skillet by having them at noon, along with sauteed onions, wax beans, and mashed potatoes.
Thursday was still hot, and we had wieners, baked beans, and salad. At noon. We are trying it for a while.

mil said...

I did not count the rings, but possibly someone did. Black walnuts grow very fast, so the tree was not particularly old.

My dinners this week were far from memorable--spinach with tahini sauce sometime or other; asparagus twice, random strawberries, various treatments of garlic scapes. But last night I made a green sauce for pasta by cooking scapes and the last of the spinach, putting that in the food processor (I should have added more oil). I didn't have any walnuts, so I added romano cheese in chunks and some of the unsalted dry roasted peanuts I bought by mistake. Unsalted peanuts are about the least interesting food I can think of, and I thought the salty romano would help. The whole mixture was too thick, so I thinned the green mass with some half and half and ate it on gluten-free pasta. It was better than one might imagine.

Anonymous said...

Saturday - pizza with sauteed greens, mushrooms, andouille sausage
Sunday - pork butt in the crockpot resulting in pulled bbq pork sandwiches with coleslaw, roasted asparagus, strawberries. Our daughter, granddaugher and daughter's SO came to help us eat up the large roast.
Monday - same as Sunday but no strawberries or asparagus or company
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - soup made with leftover pork butt and the liquid from the crockpot, some tomatoes, black beans, spices and rice
Thursday - kielbasa and cabbage on crazy good rice
Friday - clean out the fridge night and we ate the leftover soup and kielbasa mix
Pam

Kay said...

The weather was hot and Farmer hayed most of the week; which meant 10 p.m suppers. Not fun.

S: Grilled hot dogs; baked beans, chips

M: Scrambled eggs and toast

T: Taco Salads (Joy! I got my order of local salad greens. I shared some with my dil because I'm nice like that.)

W: Chef Salads

Th: Spaghetti with meat sauce and biscuit sticks

F: Fish Sticks, breaded shrimp, fries and onion rings (Cleaned out the freezer)

S: Dinner out at Tex-Mex place. I had nachos, he had pablano enchilada. I didn't have a margarita as I'd had several hard lemonades over the week's time. I should have had one. The food was so-so.

S: Homemade pizza. Between the oven and using the washer, dryer, dishwasher and fans, I'm dreading the electric bill this month.