Friday, June 5, 2020

Friday Food: Where the Antelope Roam


This has been quite a week. A saddening, frightening, and confusing week for everyone who has followed the news. Food seems to be a silly thing to be talking about when there are so many other conversations to be had that are so much more important, but still, we eat.

Friday

Short version: Antelope, boiled potato chunks, frozen green beans

Long version: Thanks to a neighbor, we unexpectedly find ourselves with quite a few pounds of antelope, which we have only eaten once. I'm always a little wary of game meat until I taste it, because it varies so much based on the animal and the conditions in which it died and was processed.

When it doubt, though, marinade is my friend.

So I marinated a couple of small roasts in yogurt, lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder, then seared them, sliced them, and returned them to the pan to finish cooking.

Verdict: Very good. Not gamy. Jack, who is not generally a meat-eater, even had three servings. Hooray for palatable meat!

Saturday

Short version: More antelope, leftover potatoes, bread and butter, frozen peas

Long version: This was the backstrap, which I didn't marinate because I was now confident it wouldn't taste gamy. Instead I just seared the two pieces of backstrap, then sliced them and added them back to the pan with some garlic scape pesto to finish cooking.

A good combination.

Sunday

Short version: Carnitas-style pork, garlic bread, green salad with ranch dressing, butterscotch pudding

Long version: Due to a confluence of milk sources, I found myself with seven and a half gallons of milk in the refrigerator on Thursday. It seemed advisable to use six cups of it for pudding.

I have never made butterscotch pudding, but I was kind of low on cocoa powder, so I thought I'd try it instead of the chocolate I would normally make. Every time I make pudding, I am surprised at how long it takes to make pudding. The heating of the milk really can't be hurried, lest it scorch, so it's kind of like making risotto or a roux: Long periods of contemplative stirring.

Or, in my case, impatient stirring, because it takes even longer to heat up the milk for the double batches I'm always making. Like more than half an hour.

Anyway.

I used this recipe and it was very good, except only A. and Cubby really liked it. Boo. Guess I'd better get more cocoa powder, because there is no point in spending all that time making pudding only half the family will eat.


"Chocolate or bust," says Poppy the tough girl.

Monday

Short version: Bacon, pasta with garlic scape pesto, frozen peas

Long version: Nothing to see here. Just more pesto. Forever.

I need to make sure to cook the pesto a little more when I'm using it for a pasta sauce, though, because just putting it straight on the hot pasta doesn't tame the spiciness of the raw garlic scapes enough for the smaller children. Microwaving it for a few seconds is enough.

I was reading something about garlic scapes just the other day, and the author claimed they had a "mellow sweetness." I had to wonder what kind of garlic he had, because ours have no mellowness at all. Sweetness, either. You try eating one of our scapes raw and it will punch you in the mouth with the garlic burn. But after a few seconds of cooking, no problem.

Tuesday

Short version: Tuna patties, leftover pasta, steamed broccoli trees

Long version: One nice thing about having a continuous stream of toddlers in the house for the past decade is that we can continue with the broccoli tree game. "It's a broccoli tree!" They take a bite. "The tree is losing its leaves! It must be fall!" Another bite. "More leaves gone! Winter is coming!" And so on until the tree is felled and used for firewood.

The fun we have at the dinner table is just never-ending.

Wednesday

Short version: Italian sliders, leftover pasta, roasted sweet potatoes/bell pepper/onion, green salad

Long version: I can't decide if these should be called Italian sliders or flattened meatballs, but I think the former sounds more appetizing. It's just ground beef seasoned like meatballs, but without the bread crumbs and egg, and then cooked as very small hamburgers before being covered in marinara sauce and melted asadero cheese (our--much cheaper--substitute for mozzarella).

Whatever you call them, they're very good, and much less time-consuming than meatballs.

Thursday

Short version: Antelope stir-fry, rice, salad

Long version: Marinated antelope, frozen vegetables, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, peanut butter, done.

It was 81 degrees in my kitchen when we sat down to eat. That does not make me happy.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week? And more importantly, how are you feeling these days?

7 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Unsettled. How I am doing. Watching the news is at a minimum. Glad to live in the boonies.

Food...
Take out fried chicken w/ homemade sides.
Leftover chicken with Spanish rice .
Took a ride , got take out Reuben sandwiches , drove around eating it. Scenery. (who knew Reuben was capitalized, just a sandwich folks)
Favorite pizza from local place at home.
Deli lunch meats Italian sandwich. Chips.
Leftovers from that sandwich.
This is my husband's version of me taking some time off and he would cook. :)

Sara said...

I hate the time pudding takes. My long-cut/short-cut is a fake double boiler so I don't have to stand there with it the entire time. Takes longer to heat. However it can't burn but can lump if I totally forget. I just walk by and stir it every few minutes until it starts to thicken then I stand there and stir. Fake double boiler is a bigger pot on the burner with 3 canning jar rings in the bottom then the milk pot on top of the rings. Heat milk for yogurt the same way, just bigger pots.

Food this week has been fresh fruit and raw vegetables 3 meals a day plus even more fruit for snacks. Zero cooking. AKA, I went shopping for the first time in a couple months. I get so excited over the fresh foods that I inhale them for days. Doesn't help that I get so excited I buy WAY too much and we have to eat fast.

Breaking the trend today somewhat, made lavash bread pizza.
Even more fruit and vegetables of course. Just got home an hour ago, with right-out-of-the-field blueberries and cantaloupe.

A. needs to build you a summer kitchen. I have a tiny one, don't know what I did without it. Well I do know.....no cooking for 3-4 months every summer! I hate a hot house!

Anonymous said...

Hey, GP love your husband's version of cooking...So like my husband.

zucchini pizza, home grown asparagus, home grown strawberries
take out
Swedish meatballs over mashed potatoes & gravy, asparagus, brownie
take out
takeout, strawberries over a brownie
mini meatloaves, roasted carrots & mushrooms, brownie with strawberries
chicken parm bake, green beans, strawberries & brownie again for tonight
Linda

Anonymous said...

Friday was the conclusion of a messed up week and we had grilled cheese sandwiches. Saturday we had steak with fried potatoes and onions. I really don't know what we had Sunday (more of the screwed up week). Monday we had fried chicken and jojo's from the deli, as I was there for groceries anyway. Tuesday was pizza take and bake at DH's insistence. Wednesday we had BLTs. Thursday we had tuna pasta salad and tomatoes. Not an exemplary week, but there it is, disrupted by high heat and medical appointments.

I have now read all posts from beginning to end. What a journey!

Anonymous said...

Saturday - pizza with sauteed chard and leek, mushrooms, andouille sausage, tossed salad
Sunday - Chilean hotdogs(sausage) which are hotdogs(sausages) in buns topped with mayo, chopped tomatoes and guacamole. We used some kielbasa and smoked sausage.
Monday - chicken piccata on spaghetti, roasted broccoli
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - Mexican baked eggs on crazy good rice
Thursday - leftovers from Wednesday
Friday - pork chops baked on assorted greens, leftover rice, roasted broccoli
Pam

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: All the posts is a LOT of posts. Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Truly my pleasure!