Monday, June 1, 2020

What I Hold On To


These past few months have felt like a continuous figurative body slam any time I read the news. And the past week? Slam after slam after slam after slam.

There are many things I could say. Many thoughts I have, and far too many emotions to go into here.

So instead, I focus on the things I can hold close to me.

The potatoes that we planted over two months ago are coming up. Finally. They need lots of water, as does everything else, because it's going to be almost a hundred degrees every day this week. But I'm grateful to have so many things to water, because that means food for my family is right here, in my soil.

I have three tiny tomatoes on one of the plants. The day of the First Tomato draws nigh, and there will be much rejoicing.

There are more eggs in the incubator, so I hope to have another round of chicks hatching in a few weeks. The chicks that hatched out several weeks ago are outside and growing well.

The big boy lamb born last week unfortunately died--he never would suckle, though we don't know why--but the four ewe lambs are doing well.

And of course, there are these goobers. I hold them closest of all.





I hope you have something grounding to hold on to, too. Be well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love it...I call my great nephews goobers all the time. (And to their faces!!!) I didn't think anyone used that word anymore.
Poppy sure looks quite professional in "her" kitchen.
Yeah, the news is not very appealing to read.
Linda

mil said...

Huge bummer about the lamb.

Gemma's person said...

Thank you for sharing loved children who are loving . Everyone needs to know they are loved. Parents jobs are tough...loving should be easy and love should be free.

Daisy said...

News just gets worse and worse. I have friends in Minneapolis, family in Milwaukee, and keeping track of their situations makes me even more afraid for our immediate future. But I do see peas coming up, and lettuce, and my started-from-seed tomato plants are better than ever. Our city's Covid19 numbers remain consistent, and our city's protests have so far been peaceful.
And DH is finally seeing why I think setting up our pantry like preppers might be a good idea.

Daisy said...

Slam, slam, slam! That's what it feels like these days. I've been grateful that DH and I are both employed, that none of us have encountered the virus, and that dear daughter has started a significant garden to grow what she can in the big city.