Monday, March 16, 2020

How I Homeschool


I fear that I, uh, don't.

Today was the first day of the three-week (yeah, we'll see about that . . .) school suspension. I thought, "Hey, what a great opportunity for Cubby and Charlie to do some things they don't normally get to do at school! Geography! Typing! Spanish!"

Let me tell you what we actually did today, which was sunny and almost seventy degrees.

We put some potatoes outside that were already sprouting to sprout further and get ready for planting. I put seventeen potatoes in the sun and had Cubby help me figure out how many potatoes we might potentially get from those seventeen potatoes. We came up with 134*. (Math!)

The shearer came and we all stood around watching him work and helping however we could. Cubby took care of the gate so A. could go in and out with the fleeces, I wrote down the ewes' ear tag numbers along with a description of each (so we can figure out which ones to cull), and A. actually caught the sheep and moved the fleeces. (Agriculture!)


Cubby on gate duty.


That's a lot of wool.

A. dug many feet of dirt so I could plant 500 beet seeds. Cubby filled pots with soil and planted watermelon seeds. (Botany!)

The boys made boats out of paper and had a contest to see which ones would sail the longest in the bathtub. (Science! And also, lots of screaming and tears about cheating!)

So, all in all, a most academically successful day.

I was obviously born to be a teacher.

* They're really big, so our calculations included cutting each potato in half and getting a minimum of  four potatoes from each half planted.

5 comments:

flask said...

i'm not worried about your kids not learning.

Kay said...

As a former home school momma, I can say you did it perfectly. That's how we did a lot of our school days. Helping Dad on the Farm. And some days were book days with text books. That's the joy of homeschooling. You, do you. Enjoy this time together. And please send some of that warm sunshine up to me! We are having baby calves and it's chilly and wet. Not a good combination.

Anonymous said...

I would say it was a very good learning day!
Linda

tu mere said...

Gee. Not a bad first day without school. Ah, but can you continue with the hands on academic activities for another three weeks? Here's hoping the sun continues to shine and the outdoor activities continue to multiply!

Anonymous said...

I super high five your diverse curriculum. We will be fine around here also ... as soon as I can adjust my inner self to all the people, all the time.

Karen.