Sunday, March 15, 2020

Homeliving


We got official notice last Thursday that all schools in New Mexico are closed until April 6. That same day, our priest notified us that all church activities, including Mass, are suspended until further notice.

That pretty much eliminated all of our outside social and work obligations in one fell swoop.

So here we are, at home.

I suspect this is not as disconcerting to us as it is for most people, as we are perfectly accustomed and willing to manage on our own. We go weeks at a time without going anywhere but church and school, anyway, so it's not as if our routines depend on getting to a store or sports events or music lessons or, well, anything.

My brother joked that we practiced social distancing before social distancing was cool, and I think there's a lot of truth to that.

We are very lucky in that A. already does his main work remotely, we have no medical conditions of any kind in our family, and we never have to worry about running out of food or supplies because we always buy them in large quantities. Or, you know, grow and make them.

This morning we did church at home. I read the readings for the day and A. explained them to the kids. Then they had their post-church waffles as usual.

Tomorrow the older ones will be required to do some school-ish things (handwriting practice, reading history books or the encyclopedia, Spanish lessons online), but I'm not going to force them to do, like, actual lessons related to the math they were working on at school or whatever.

But otherwise? We'll just be here, tending our garden (the arugula is almost big enough to eat and I'M SO EXCITED), shearing sheep (a shearer is coming tomorrow, and A. is excited about that), and generally living our lives in a more or less normal fashion.

Keeping calm and carrying on is the order of the day. I hope it's the same for you.

Over and out.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our church was cancelled as well for the next two weeks, maybe more depending on this virus.
No problem with me social distancing!
Yay for your arugula. Love that stuff!
Linda

Lindsay C said...

I am hoping that they start publishing the facts that more people have already recovered from this virus and continue to recover each day, just like the flu or common cold! I hate the idea of social distancing and its a big struggle for me. I do think your kids are in for a few "fun weeks working the land" but I do wonder why your schools aren't required to do online learning? The schools here in MN are requiring online learning for 2 weeks for kids and that lunches and mental health resources stay available during the school building closures.
Can't wait to see you bring the kids into the kitchen too! :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Lindsay: Our school was working on remote learning, although it is a problem here that there are probably several kids who just don't have reliable internet access at their remote ranches. Just like in districts with poor kids that can't afford the Internet service or computers, it would be unfair to have the students that can access those continue their curriculum while the others are left behind. Our school is required to continue offering lunch, although I can't imagine many people here taking advantage of that, given their distance from the school.

mil said...

We had church as usual, but few people attended, and we all spread out. No coffee hours. The attendees were mostly choir members, the most faithful of the faithful.

All restaurants in the state are closed as of tonight except for takeout, starting at 8:00.

I am eager to hear about the shearing.

Joellen said...

My church was canceled for two weeks and I saw the pastor today and he said he will be putting sermons online. My father owns a funeral home and I help him manage it. We had a funeral today with over 100 people in attendance. I do t know what we will do if they put the state on lockdown. I live in Alabama and we have had it in the state for less than a week. At least I live in. Small town of only about 3400.