Friday, May 29, 2020

Friday Food: Mmmm, MSG


Friday

Short version: Leftover lamb, pasta with garlic scape pesto, frozen peas

Long version: I pulled the meat out of the lamb stew and fried it, mostly because Charlie dislikes anything stewed and I was disguising it.

For the pasta, I just used some more of the garlic scape and lamb's quarters pesto I had made the day before, plus the last of some pre-shredded Parmesan that's been hanging out in the refrigerator for a long time. How does it last that long without getting moldy?

Never mind. I probably don't want to know.

Saturday

Short version: Sausage and pasta skillet

Long version: Some of that cheap Sysco breakfast sausage fried and then combined with the leftover pasta, peas, and some shredded cheddar. Pretty good, actually. The kids really liked it. Unsurprisingly.

Sunday

Short version: Roasted chicken, baked potatoes, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: Success with the chicken! I salted the chicken heavily a few hours before cooking it, and then rubbed it with butter, thyme, pepper, and garlic powder right before putting it in the oven. I also shoved into the cavity some of the garlic stalks from a couple of plants A. had pulled up, and then, when I made a drink, I put in the lemon rind I had used.

It was another of those disturbingly large chickens, so I put it in the oven at 3 p.m. at like 425 degrees and left it there until 5:30, at which point it was definitely done.

I also put in some potatoes and the two heads of garlic A. had given me.

The high heat meant that the juices and herbs got scorched on the pan, though, so instead of of making a sauce with the pan juices I made one with some chicken stock, one of the heads of roasted garlic, and some cold butter. It was thin, but flavorful.

No dessert this Sunday because Miss Georgia gave the kids some M&Ms at church and then A. took them all to the mountains later and got them all a popsicle at some point. I figured the Sunday dessert had been taken care of, so I didn't make anything.


There was still snow in them thar hills. The children were pleased.


Monday

Short version: Re-combined leftovers with sausage and peas

Long version: Browned sausage, diced leftover potatoes, a bit of diced chicken, some frozen peas, and the rest of the liquid from the sheep stew.

Definitely not exciting, but serviceable.

Tuesday

Short version: Eggs, bacon, pinto beans, personalized garlic breads, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: Everyone got bacon, but I let each child choose either eggs or beans. There was a fifty-fifty split, but who cares! The real excitement was the garlic bread the size of their faces.

I didn't mean for them to be so big. They look pretty small when I cut the dough up, but then they rose, and rose again in the oven, and then there were these big breads for each child.

They didn't mind. They didn't have any trouble finishing them, either. And they sure do have a good time kneading in their chosen spices:



Wednesday

Short version: Pizza, frozen peas

Long version: Jack brought me to the refrigerator in the morning to point out the sourdough starter jar that was overflowing its banks. So, since I had to take some of the starter out of the jar, I decided to make pizza for dinner.

I also had to harvest more garlic scapes, with which I made more pesto, so pizza seemed like a reasonable option.

I had already taken out some ground beef, so one pizza was ground beef--just browned and then mixed with some of the pesto--and onion, and one was just cheese.

For the sauce, I opened a can of pasta sauce that was in one of Miss Georgia's boxes of food. The pasta sauce had both high fructose corn syrup and MSG in it. It was . . . not very good.

I fixed it reasonably well by adding a small can of plain tomatoes and vinegar to it--to mitigate the sweetness--plus some olive oil and the pesto. It ended up being acceptable, although I would never buy that sauce myself.

Thursday

Short version: Spaghetti and meatballs, steamed broccoli, roasted green beans

Long version: I still had about a pound of ground beef left, so I added eggs, the bread crumbs I usually have in the freezer, milk, garlic powder, salt, and basil to make the meatballs.

The pasta sauce was the leftover pizza sauce, with cream added. We had spaghetti because that was the only kind of pasta I had left. Every child proclaimed spaghetti their favorite kind of pasta. They are actually getting old enough that the eating of the spaghetti isn't a complete mess. Well, except Poppy. She still makes a mess.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poppy seems to be enjoying making her own personalized garlic bread.

pork loin, homegrown asparagus, sweet potatoes baked with the pork
takeout
grilled hot dogs, homemade potato salad, homegrown asparagus
chicken soup with rice & various vegetables, garlic bread, chocolate chip bar
salmon patties, roasted potato fries, broccoli, choc. chip bar
cauliflower crust pizza, salad, choc. chip bar
and for tonight turkey & cheese sandwiches, soup
Linda

mil said...

Friday: rice and sardines with ajvar (red pepper sauce)
Saturday: Ham steak and carrot salad
Sunday: just snacked after taking a rhubarb cake to Marilyn for her birthday.
Monday: a big salad of arugula, spinach thinnings, lamb's quarters, and small garlic mustard;yogurt with rhubarb
Tuesday: ham steak and salad as above
Wednesday: ditto, with a grapefruit
Thursday: cheese omelet

It is fun to see the kids in the mountains--and I need to know who likes what spices in the garlic bread! That is a great idea, by the way, and it reminds me of the preschool bread days.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: Oh, she does. Because that means she's a big girl, you know.

MiL: I set out garlic powder, dill, basil, and oregano. Cubby chose garlic powder and basil. Poppy chose everything, because she is two. Charlie chose just garlic powder, because he is Charlie. Jack was out with A. building a fence, so I just put garlic powder on his, to be safe.

Gemma's person said...

breakfast burritos(eggs,potatoes,cheese,sausage)in store bought burrito shells
spaghetti(homemade sauce from frozen tomatoes from the summer)
chicken/dressing/gravy casserole style
chicken /broccoli/cheese/hash brown casserole
grilled hamburgers from freezer/home made ff
grilled cheese w/turkey ,chips

Anonymous said...

Back on one of the replies to one of the comments on the FG guest post, you said, "I am a complete dictator in my kitchen." I am, too. Anyway, totally borrowed your words and my friend is marketing them. https://www.harvesther.com/shop/kitchen-dictator

It's kind of fun to get the opportunity to share it (it debuted today) on a Friday Food post! Coincidence is my friend.

Thanks for your help, even though you didn't know it at the time. :)

Karen.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

G.P. Still eating tomatoes from last summer? Hat tip to you.

Karen.: You're welcome. Nice to be an inspiration, even if it is for something like being a kitchen dictator.

Anonymous said...

Saturday - pizza with sauteed kale and leeks, mushrooms, Andouille sausage
Sunday - large pork butt in the crockpot for pulled pork sandwiches topped with coleslaw
Monday - Argh! I can't remember
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - another round of pulled pork sandwiches and coleslaw
Thursday - red Thai curry on rice
Friday - shrimp piccata on angel hair pasta, sauteed zucchini with garlic
Pam

Anonymous said...

Oh, kitchen dictator should be a badge of honor. Things I say around here include "This is a snack, not a meal" and "This is NOT an open kitchen."

Karen.