Wednesday, July 15, 2020

More than a Salad


This is what I had for lunch today:


Yum.

It's just a salad. Just a bowl of lettuce, tomato, sauteed squash, pecans and feta cheese*.

Except it's not just that.

It's the lettuce that A. planted for me last month so that I would have more when our winter-planted lettuce bolted.

It's the tomatoes I started from seed in March, even though last year's tomatoes were kind of pathetic and I had no great hopes for this year's harvest.

It's the squash that volunteered in the middle of the tomato plants and I left in even though I was sure the fruits would be those unappealing orange pumpkins that I don't actually want to eat as winter squash. Except this year I discovered I could eat them as immature squash in place of zucchini.

It's consideration, and hope, and experimentation, and work. All of that in a bowl.

And it was delicious.

* I very, very rarely have feta, even though I love it, but my brother-in-law brought it with him when his family came to visit. I didn't ask him to; he just did. So we'll add luck and family to that bowl, too. Nothing special about the pecans, though. I just buy them in bulk online.

3 comments:

mil said...

Definitely looks good, lacking nothing but possibly kalamata olives. Meanwhile, I am harvesting garlic and noticing that my tomatoes look like they will start ripening about August 1. Lots of Alma peppers forming. Farmer's market supplying my lettuce at the moment.

Gemma's person said...

What a gem , your brother-in-law.
Looks very good to me.

Anonymous said...

All the more appetizing when it's food you grew!
Linda