Wednesday, September 16, 2020

In the Wee Hours

 

Is there anything more tedious than listening to other people talk about how tired they are? Not really. 

But I am, indeed, very tired this morning and I'm going to talk about it. Because the reasons are actually pretty funny.

The plan was to go to sleep early last night. The toddler, however, had other plans. At 8:30 p.m., she was still calling to me from her room to tell me this very important information: "Mommy! 'Rain' and 'Rainbow'! They rhyme!" It wasn't really the time to get into the difference between rhyming and compound words, so I just replied, "Well, no. But rain is the first word in rainbow. Now go to sleep."

So I didn't go to bed until around 9 p.m. Still okay, though, if I could just sleep uninterrupted until at least 5 a.m.

Ah, the optimistically wishful thinking of the tired mother.

At 3 a.m., the same toddler was calling to me from her bed so I could fix her covers.

At 3:45 a.m., that very same toddler was crying in her room. Presumably this was a nightmare because she didn't actually wake up, but did quiet down when I went into her room.

At 4:45 a.m., the five-year-old was demanding to know who put water in his bed. As if one of his brothers would rise from their sound sleep to splash water in his bed while he was sleeping.

Well, actually, I wouldn't put it past them, but this time they were innocent. Turns out, he was just sleeping very heavily with his mouth open and just woke himself up with his own drool.

But that was it for me. I gave up at that point and just got in the shower.

And so now, I am tired. But at least I have plenty of time to drink my coffee before we get on the school bus. 

Plus, I used to get a lot less sleep. Like during this crazy time:


So cute. So exhausting.

Even though I'm tired today, at least I have a reasonable chance of sleeping tonight, which was definitely not the case in the previous decade of my life with newborns and toddlers. So, you know, silver linings.

4 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Good thing they are SO cute! ;)

mil said...

The best thing about being old and retired: sleep. And last night I slept in a cool room, with open windows and blankets. Terrific. Your time will come!

Anonymous said...

Oh man...I remember those nights. I used to promise myself if I had to get up one more time I'd leave my kid out for the coyotes...

Obviously I never did...shes a screaming teen now...with a driver's license (thanks for your sympathy)

Anyway..what's really messed up is that though she sleeps through the night and has to be dragged out of bed in the morning and there is no reason for me to do so, I find myself checking on her through out the night.

Like I said...lol...messed up

I feel your exhaustion and you have my absolute sympathy tired mama.

mil said...

Aha! I just figured out that the kids were all eating those giant carrots!!