Tuesday, November 3, 2020

I Can't HEEEAARRRR Youuuuu

 

Today, I am completely ignoring the elephant--and the donkey--in our national room and purposely not looking at any media content relating to elections.

Instead, I will create my own media content (this post--that's my own media content) focusing on completely different topics.

Like bull meat!

I actually hadn't yet cooked any of the meat from the bull we butchered on Friday, but I took some of the steaks out of the freezer last night to thaw and fried a small test piece this morning.

So how did it taste? Like beef. Hooray! 

I know it seems obvious that a bull would taste like beef, but I've been eating home-butchered animals long enough to know that there is huge variation in the taste of meat even from the same kind of animal, depending on its age, sex, sexual maturity, manner of death, how long the carcass ages, and on and on and on. 

I was afraid that this animal, which was a mature male that has been breeding for the past three years and was butchered quickly and very roughly, would be strong-tasting.

It wasn't. So that's a relief. Although it will be sort of tough, I think. No problem, though. I've spent my entire adult life learning how to cook tough cuts of meat (because those are the cheapest ones, of course), so I feel capable of handling this meat.

I feel now would be a good time for a completely unrelated photo:


I can't remember the last photo of me that I posted here, but my sister took this when she was here for Poppy's birthday, so here I am. With my mom, not looking at the camera. I think we were looking at one of the children, who was obviously being amusing.

Also related to the bull and butchering, I finally cleaned out the gross, bloody coolers today. The ones that we transported the meat home in.

Yes, I should have done it immediately, but man, I was exhausted this past weekend after all the activity related to butchering and all the other things I usually do (mostly laundry and a lot of food prep), and then I worked yesterday, so I didn't get to the real scrubbing until today.

I did at least rinse them out, so there wasn't actually flesh stuck to them or anything, but I still had a lot of scrubbing--with water, with vinegar, and with boiling water--to do until they weren't totally nasty. 

This is the hidden labor of butchering. The cutting itself is arduous, of course, but so is all the prepping and cleaning that goes into having clean, accessible meat in a freezer.

Anyway! It's all done now and the coolers are getting further sanitized out in our strong New Mexican sun.

Let's pause here for another random photo:


Hey look! There I am again! This time showing Poppy her birthday cake.

In addition to scrubbing the coolers, I have also done three loads of laundry (and hung them on the line, of course), made spiced almonds, roasted two pans of tomatoes to keep ahead of the many green tomatoes that are slowly turning red, rinsed out the outdoor trashcans, watered the animals, and cared for Poppy.

I am not lacking in distractions, anyway. Which is lucky on a day like today.

So, tell me: What are you up to today?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I'm so glad the meat is good! So many factors at work.

I'm doing 83 things at once. My 4yo taught me to play mancala so every so often we have to have a mancala break. She calls it mancaleb which is hilarious to me.

I don't get out much.

Karen.

sheila said...

Sitting here watching the rain in Redmond, WA while knitting up a storm. Making winter hats, mittens, socks and a sweater for 18 month old grandson who lives in the cold frozen north of Ithaca, NY. At least it keeps my mind off everything swirling around me. I voted weeks ago because the whole state went mail to in ballots several years ago.

Yeah for woodchuck beef. A lot of work, but someone had to put that bull out of his misery and it would have been a shame to waste him.

Gemma's person said...

Ditto what Sheila said on the beef.
Sun is shining almost 60 , beautiful day. Planning meals for the next couple days,trying to make room in the freezer for some bulk chicken we have coming Sat., getting the dishes washed and laundry washed and hung in the sun to dry. Sorting some never worn or rarely worn coats and hooded sweatshirts to give to some folks who need warmer wear for this winter. Reading your blog which always brings a smile to me. You guys are just too cute for words.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not listening to any news either, today. All the political ads have worn me out over the last month or so. I hung 2 loads of laundry out today in the beautiful sunshine.
Enjoy your beef tonight for dinner.
Linda

Tammy said...

Went to Brunswick for a Dr appt for Dh, then over to St. Simon's Island to see the VB 10,000. Highly recommend googling this. Interesting. It's going to cut up the Golden Ray, which is a cargo ship that capsized in the channel there. The VB 10,000 is so tall it won't fit under the Golden Gate Bridge, provided it could get over there, lol.

We also browsed in Target, Academy, and a couple shoe stores. Got some lunch/drive through. Came home and crashed, bc I didn't sleep last night, ugh. I'll do some laundry before bed, straighten up the LR a bit, but it's a quiet night.

Anonymous said...

Quietly within your posting, you said something like "and then I had to work yesterday." What? I know you mean at a job outside home, but it seems to me you work a lot. Really, a lot--children (all by themselves they're a multi-shift job...), food prep, meal clean-up, cleaning coolers, laundry, hosting family, writing a blog, and more. Yikes but that is a list!!

Tu mere said...

Meat, weather that accommodates hung laundry, tomatoes roasting, and, obviousl, y’all’s good health. All good news. Thanks for the distraction. Guess I shouldn’t say distraction as I’m not reading or listening to the news as well.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen.: I don't, either.

Sheila: Luckly grandson, to have a grandma willing to knit him cozies for the winter. I remember having a small child in those upstate New York winters. All the wool things are necessary, and very hard (or expensive) to find.

G.P.: Thank you.

Linda: I can imagine that PA is not a fun place to be in during (or, this year, after) an election.

Tammy: I did Google it, and woah, that thing is crazy. It looks like something from a sci-fi movie.

Anonymous: It's funny that with all that I do at home, those two days of work at the school every week feel a lot more like WORKwork to me.

Mere: The distractions continue . . .