Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Charlie's Alexander Day

Charlie came lurching blearily out of his room at 5 o'clock this morning, and I sent him right back to bed. That's just not enough sleep on which to manage a long school day.

He went back to bed without protest, but at 5:30 he was back, saying he just couldn't sleep any more.

"That happens," I said. "But it's going to make for a bit of a hard day at school."

"Yeah," he replied. "But I'm going to fight to make it a good day."

Good attitude, Charlie.

The furnace happened to be running, so he shuffled off to the bathroom to assume his favorite morning position.


Reading with his body on the heating vent in the bathroom, and his head cushioned by the carpet in the hall.

Just as he got settled, though, the furnace turned off. He shuffled back through the kitchen with a resigned expression and announced on his way through, "The day is fighting back."

Some days are like that. Even in Australia.

* If you have no idea what the title and last line of this post are referring to, you have probably not read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day as many times as I have.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are four kids in our family, and we read that book A LOT. We're all adults now (youngest is 34) but even today, when someone has a bad day, they're often comforted (?) with "Some days go like that. Even in Australia."
Karen.'s sister

Karen. said...

What she said.

Jenlee said...

I love his attitude!!

Andra said...

I have never read that book. My daughter was not much of a reader so She very picky about what she would read Have have read to her at home. She said she did read it at school.
My son is 2 and is the opposite. He loves books.

Andra said...

I should have proofread this. I meant to say she was very picky about what she read or would allow us to read aloud to her.