Friday, January 8, 2021

Friday Food: Welcome to 2021

Friday

Short version: Pork chunks, black-eyed peas, rice, beet greens, leftover peas, seltzer

Long version: Happy New Year! Now, as you know if you've been reading here for longer than a year, I always, and I mean ALWAYS, make pork, greens, and black-eyed peas for New Year's Day dinner. How else can I ensure our health, wealth, and happiness in the coming year?

I have to admit that this year's effort was a bit lame. I forgot to put dried black-eyed peas on the list for A., so I didn't have a big pot of peas like I usually would. Luckily, I did have a can of black-eyed peas that came to us from the commodities program via a neighbor. So we did have at least some happiness.

I also didn't have very much in the way of greens, thanks to the brutal cold and wretched rabbits that have attacked the collard greens out in the garden. I did have some beet greens, though, so I made those.

The pork was some random cut I pulled out of the freezer and chunked up before frying with paprika and garlic powder.

And the seltzer was for our festive toast to the new year. I made it even more festive by putting a slice of actual lemon in each glass, AND by giving the children actual glasses with handles (which are actually jars that a Texas company sells jam in).

For my seltzer, I used a beer stein that my parents got for me in Germany years ago. I don't drink beer, so this seemed like a better use for it. The children were fascinated by it, though honestly I find it heavy and awkward. You can't see in the photo below, but it has one of those pewter covers on the top, and that just gets in the way.

Still! It was festive!


Saturday

Short version: Bull meat, leftover rice, green salad, exciting artichoke appetizer

Long version: I had some more pork chunks from the day before that I had cut up, but it wasn't quite enough and I knew everyone would be very hungry after a long hike we took to see an ancient combine harvester that was abandoned a hundred years ago in the middle of nowhere.


There are actually quite a few farm machines from long ago in the middle of the range here, because this area used to be used for dry-land wheat farming. Back when it actually rained, that is, before the Dust Bowl.

Anyway, I took out one of those half gallon jars of pressure canned bull meat instead. I thought one of those jars would be enough for two meals.

How foolishly optimistic of me. Half a gallon of meat is ONE meal for us.

The artichoke was one that A. bought in Taos for me. I love artichokes and haven't had one in years. Pretty much everything I have ever seen in the food world about preparing artichokes involves trimming the leaves with shears. My mother never did that, so I don't, either. Anyway, half the fun is scraping the leaves with your teeth.

Just ask my children. I shared the artichoke with them. They've never had one, so I had to demonstrate the proper technique for removing the leaves, dipping them in the olive oil and vinegar mixture (also what my mother always did), and teeth scraping.

They loved it. Of course.

Sunday

Short version: Roasted chicken, carrots, and potatoes; roasted onions and tomatoes; green peas; vanilla ice cream with maple syrup

Long version: This was a really large meal that came out well, but I feel like there's not too much to say about it.

Oh! EXCEPT! (I always have something to say, right?)

Those roasted tomatoes? Those were the VERY LAST fresh tomatoes from the garden. The ones that were harvested way back in October. "Fresh" was pretty relative by this point, because they had gotten kind of wrinkly and mummifed, but they were delicious roasted.


Only six more months until we have fresh tomatoes again. (Sigh.)

Monday

Short version: Pork with sauerkraut and onions, chicken with curry dip, rice, carrot sticks, sauteed green beans

Long version: I really needed to cook those pork pieces I had cut up on Friday, but it still wasn't quite enough for dinner for all six of us.

How lucky one of our hens drowned in the horse water!

Yeah, not really. She was just starting to lay. Boo.

Despite the bummer of losing a laying hen, we certainly weren't going to let her go to waste. So A. hung her overnight and then prepped her in the afternoon for me. 

This hen was not all that large, but she was incredibly fat. I guess because she had been eating grain all winter and hadn't starting depleting her reserves by laying yet. This was the first time I've ever had a home chicken with enough fat on it to render, but that's what I did.

I ended up with about a cup of rendered chicken fat, which, FYI, is a startingly bright yellow. 

The actual chicken I boiled, except I didn't get it in the water until mid-afternoon, so by dinnertime it was still very tough. The breast was okay, though, so I cut that off for the children and gave them some dip for that while I continued to boil the rest of the carcass.

And then we had the pork, cooked with a jar of rinsed sauerkraut and some sliced onions. It was a bit dry, so I added some butter, too. Yum.

Tuesday

Short version: Bunless cheeseburgers, fried onions, mashed potatoes, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: I took out another of those enormous rolls of ground beef from the freezer and made the whole thing into hamburger patties. We ate some this night, and then I froze about 25 more. 

I guess that's one good thing about those awkward quantities of meat: It forces me to prep ahead.

Wednesday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, pasta with pesto, frozen green peas

Long version: Epiphany! Otherwise known as Presents: Take Two.


The small but mighty tree, still standing proud.

The pasta with pesto was our celebratory food. It has nothing to do with the Three Kings, but my children sure like it. 

I haven't managed to grow enough basil here to make pesto an everyday food in the winter, but it's good to have for special occasions.

Thursday

Short version: Pork, leftover rice, baked onions, mashed squash, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: I don't know what this pork was. Another random thing I cut off something larger. It was pretty lean, so I'm guessing a loin. In any case, I cooked it in the oven for several hours until it was tender. It didn't make enough fat to fry it in, though, so I used some of the rendered chicken fat to fry it carnitas-style.

The onions were sliced and baked at the same time as the pork, as was the squash. Only one squash left to cook! And a LOT of bags of cooked squash in the freezer.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I've been eating the wrong meal to insure a good 2021!! (pork, sauerkraut, mashed potatoes)
takeout
sloppy joes, salad, roasted potatoes
chicken stir fry, rice
zucchini, ground beef, mushrooms, tomatoes, cheese roasted & garlic rolls
steak sandwiches, cauliflower
salmon patties, roasted potatoes & carrots, tomatoes on the side
pizza for tonight
Linda

Jody said...

I love ice cream with maple syrup. We don't have ice cream often, but when we do, I always have maple syrup somewhere in the house. So, why have I NEVER used it as a topping? It just doesn't make sense.

Gemma's person said...

Why am I always surprised when I read to the end and the okay friends what did you eat question is there?
I am so interested in what you cooked and how you prepared it I am in another world.
I hear cabbage for wealth , blackeyed peas for luck,something for health..crud, old and memory don't work together sometimes.

Kay said...

I made a menu and then we ignored most of it. Here it is with what we ate instead.

Monday: Dh had Sloppy Joes on homemade bread and I had leftover Chicken Noodle Soup & toast. (tummy was upset.)

Tuesday: Mexican Pork & Black Beans Rice Bowls. (used leftover pork roast, canned black beans, added lots of romaine to the bowl too. Dh had Tomato Soup & Grilled Cheese. (Was suppose to be Meatloaf & Mashed potatoes.)

Wednesday: Breakfast for Supper - Waffles and Sausage.

Thursday: Supper out in the City. (Errand night) BBQ Ribs for him and Catfish fingers for me. (Was suppose to be Chicken Cutlets, Hashbrowns and Broccoli)

Friday (tonight) He wanted Corn Dogs & Canned Peas. (yuck) I had leftover pork heated with BBQ sauce, homemade bread, celery. (Was suppose to be Ham & Bean soup.)

Also, I oven-roasted the last of our garden tomatoes tonight too along with some wrinkled cherry tomatoes. I'll use this in some Bacon Lentil soup on Sunday.
I checked our potatoes in storage tonight. They are in baskets in the maintenance room, which is the closest we have to a cave. They are sprouting like crazy, so I'm not sure how many I can still use. We got Alot of potatoes this past fall and we haven't been eating them very quickly. I guess next year I'll only plant 1 or 2 rows instead of 4. I don't think I can keep them until March for planting in the garden. We'll see.