Tuesday, February 2, 2021

T.T.: Bananas Two (Sugar-Free) Ways

We don't have bananas with any regularity, due to their relative perishability and their location at stores 90 miles away from our house. We only have them for the few days after a trip to the store, and then we always have two or three that need to be used right away before they pass the point of no return. 

Bananas freeze well, of course, for future baked goods, but almost all those goods involve adding a LOT of sugar to the bananas, along with flour. I like banana bread as much as the next person, but the "bread" descriptor is a bit misleading. Let's be honest: That's a cake.

If cake is what you're going for, then there are a million recipes around for using up bananas. But if you're trying to use elderly, spotty bananas without adding any sugar to them whatsoever, here are the two ways I use the most.

Way Number One

Fake ice cream. I know you know about this. Everyone knows about this. But just in case you don't . . .

Freeze the bananas in about inch-thick chunks, then drop the frozen chunks into a food processor with a tiny bit of milk or cream. Really, just a little. You can always add more if you need to, but you don't want to make the bananas soupy. 

The texture is surprisingly similar to a Wendy's Frosty, and the bananas all by themselves are sweet enough to make it taste like a dessert. You can eat it just like that, or you can add flavorings. I always add some cocoa powder. I also like a little peanut butter in there, too, although I am sometimes vetoed on that.

Note: This melts way faster than regular ice cream, so be ready to eat it as soon as it's done.

Way Number Two

Fake pancakes. Well, not fake, exactly, just without any flour.

This is another banana recipe with exceedingly minimal ingredients: bananas, eggs, and a teeeeeny bit of baking powder. And I think the baking powder is optional.

Mash your bananas well with a fork or a potato masher. For each banana (I use at least three to feed my four kids), add one egg and a tiny pinch of baking powder, then mix it all together until it's completely combined.

Cook like regular pancakes on a well-oiled pan, with this important tip: These are very soft and delicate to flip until both sides are cooked, so make them small--I only put about two tablespoons on for each pancake--so you can get your spatula completely under them to flip, and make sure they are well browned on the first side before you attempt to flip them.


And even then, they may get a little wonky in the pan. No worries. Just kind of squish the pieces back together.

I top these with peanut butter for my children, for two reasons. Well three. One is that peanut butter is always good with anything banana. Another is it ups the protein content. And last, these are sweet enough from the bananas that they do not need maple syrup.

The slightly melty peanut butter makes them really goopy and kind of messy, but they are quite tasty.

Okay, I think that's enough banana talk. Have a nice Tuesday.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm trying the fake ice cream tonight for a dessert with dinner. I don't have a food processor, so I'm going to make the chunks thinner for in my blender. No cocoa powder, either.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: I've never done it in a blender before. I should imagine you'll probably have to stop and re-distribute the bananas on the bottom a few times. I'll be interested to know how it works.

Anonymous said...

My blender worked fine. And as you said, I did need to stop & re-distribute the bananas on the bottom. It was delicious! My husband told me three times how much he liked the dessert. I have more bananas in the freezer, so we'll have it again tomorrow night.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: Yay! Thanks for letting me know.