Tuesday, March 16, 2021

T.T.: Two for One

I am sure everyone who reads my (very, very long) Friday Food posts has noticed that when we have broccoli, we almost always have carrots, too. And why is that? Well! I will tell you!

One reason is that the children like broccoli very much, but their father is not such a fan. He prefers the carrots. 

But the main reason is that I discovered a few years ago that it's entirely possible, and actually even preferable, to cook the two vegetables in the same pot.

See, if you put chunks of carrot in the bottom of a pot with broccoli florets on top of the carrots, and then add enough water to cover the carrots most of the way, they will cook in the same amount of time. The carrots cook faster, because they're actually in the water, but the broccoli, suspended above the water, steams. 


A broccoli blanket, with some cozy carrots peeking out from underneath.

This also means that the broccoli doesn't get waterlogged as it would if it was actually sitting in the water. The carrots take the place of a steamer insert, which I do not have. 

So, the details for what I do are as follows: About half-inch chunks of carrot in the bottom of a pot, with big broccoli florets on top of those. Sprinkle on some salt, add water to come about 3/4 of the way up the layer of carrots, and simmer, covered, until both vegetables are done.

Better cooking, two vegetables instead of one, and only one pot to wash? Works for me. I hope it works for you, too.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would have never thought to do this. Good idea!
Linda

mil said...

I like the layering concept. I think I will try it with some baked dishes--I'm thinking carrots, potatoes, onions in cream, and then adding fish and more cream towards the end of cooking.

Gemma's person said...

Great tip, thanks.

Karen. said...

Super smart.