Friday, March 19, 2021

Friday Food: Onion Salvage

Friday 

Short version: Tuna noodle casserole for the kids, scrambled eggs with feta and caramelized onions for the adults, frozen peas for all

Long version: So why did I make such fancy eggs, with caramelized onions of all things? Because I found three bags of onions in A.'s office that I had forgotten about and that were starting to rot.

Don't all your fanciest recipes start with rotting food?

The nice thing about onions is that, due to their layers, it's possible to peel off the rotting layers, do some trimming, and salvage most of even a really nasty-looking onion.

I had, um, quite a few of those.


That is a GIANT casserole dish, and it is three-quarters full of sliced onions.

After cooking those onions in the oven for a very long time with butter and salt, this is what I ended up with.


Where'd all the onions go?

Those were the onions I used for the eggs. I seriously love caramelized onions--I can eat them just by themselves--and I also love feta cheese. They were really good eggs.

The tuna noodle casserole was in no way fancy. I mostly made it because I had not one, but two cans of cream of mushroom soup given to us by different people. So I used those, with tuna, pasta, cheese, onion, and celery to make a HUGE casserole of tuna noodle. I filled my 9x13 Pyrex alllll the way to the top.

Cubby has eaten an astonishing quantity of that casserole this week. 

Saturday

Short version: Roast beef and onion gravy, fried potatoes, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: The roast was a sirloin tip. I was careful not to overcook it--always my downfall when roasting large cuts of meat--and it came out very well. 

I made the gravy with--you guessed it--more of the caramelized onions. It was tasty, but too salty. It always seems that if I season the meat enough so it tastes good on its own, then the pan juices are really too salty to make good gravy. Maybe I'm just not making enough gravy, so it's not diluting the juices enough? Maybe I shouldn't season the meat so much and instead should rely on the gravy to season it more?

Any input on this issue would be appreciated.

Sunday

Short version: Chicken legs, rosti, steamed broccoli and carrots, peach and blueberry pie with maple whipped cream

Long version: Cheapo chicken legs seasoned with salt, garlic powder, and paprika, browned, then roasted in the oven, with some barbecue sauce smeared on at the end. Everyone except one child loved these. He declared them "too sweet."

Right.

Now for the rosti, which is a Swiss dish that is basically a giant hash brown in a pan.  I should let reader Claire, who actually lives in Switzerland, tell you how to make it. And if she wants to chime in in the comments, she should. How I made it was to grate two giant potatoes, squeeze them with my hands and wring them out in a dish towel to get out most of the moisture, then dump them into the cast-iron skillet I browned the chicken in, with a bunch of coconut oil and vegetable oil, lots of salt, pepper, and some dried onion flakes. Then I put that in the oven with the chicken to cook at 400 degrees. 

The most intimidating thing about rosti is flipping it, so it will brown on both sides. You have to put a plate on top of the skillet, then flip the whole thing so the rosti drops out onto the plate, then slide the rosti back into the skillet to brown on the other side. The couple of times I've tried this in the past, it has stuck and fallen apart. But I did it this time! Hooray!


I win rosti-ing. (Yes, I just created a terribly awkward verb. Such is the beauty of the living language of English.)

Also, with the rosti, I inadvertently created a sort of potato pie. And we all know March 14 is Pi Day! 

Oh, you didn't know that? Of course not. That's because it's another of those made-up "days." The only reason I know about it is because many women online celebrate this day by making pies and posting about it.

There's only one person in our household who really likes pie. I speak, of course, of Cubby. He loves to make pie and also received a very nice pie pan from his grandma for Christmas that he hasn't even gotten to use yet. Since Pi Day happened to be on a Sunday this year, I decided it was as good a time as any to shepherd Cubby through pie-making again.

I had lots of frozen peaches and blueberries on hand, so we made a peach and blueberry pie, using this post for some help but mostly winging it with the filling and using the MiL's crust recipe. I did need the video in that post to figure out how to do the lattice top, though.


Happy Pi Day!

Cubby declared peach-blueberry pie his second favorite, after strawberry-rhubarb. It was pretty good, although the crust was a little tough. We need the MiL here to instruct this boy. I am a very poor substitute.

Monday

Short version: Many leftovers

Long version: Three of the four children had leftover tuna casserole and leftover broccoli. 

Charlie had leftover roast beef, the last bit of leftover rosti, and leftover broccoli. 

A. had leftover roast beef and carrots.

I had some of the leftover roast beef with the gravy that I had diluted with water. I added some of the leftover carrots and broccoli, plus leftover frozen peas, to make a sort of soup. Surprisingly tasty.

Can you tell it was a work day?

Tuesday

Short version: Extemporaneous meatloaf, baked potatoes, calabaza, frozen green peas, baked custard

Long version: I made the meatloaf with about 2/3 ground beef and 1/3 the cheap pork sausage from Sysco, along with eggs and about half of a half-pint jar of ancient rhubarb sauce that moved here with us from New York. No bread crumbs, because I didn't happen to have any in the freezer and was too lazy to haul out the food processor to make any.

Surprisingly, it turned out really well. Hooray.

I had two egg yolks left from making two batches of spiced almonds, plus the beaten egg from the egg wash we used for the pie, so I made a batch of custard. Good call.

Wednesday

Short version: Not-Irish food, but soda bread!

Long version: Somehow, it has become our tradition to have pesto on St. Patrick's Day. I think I made it several years ago, not realizing I had made green food for St. Patrick's Day, but then decided to pretend I did it on purpose. And from then on, I did do it on purpose.

So! This year, it was standard pasta with pesto. I still have about a dozen cubes of pesto from last year's garden. I planted a lot of basil seeds this year, in hopes of getting enough for pesto throughout the winter. We'll see.

I also used the same sausage and ground beef from the night before to make a meat casserole. It was 2/3 sausage and 1/3 beef, browned with garlic, which I topped with a bag of Finny's tomato sauce from the freezer, then grated asadero cheese from the freezer. I mixed in a bag of chopped calabaza--also from the freezer--in half the casserole dish, for A. and me. The children wouldn't touch such an abomination. I also randomly sprinkled on extra basil and garlic powder, then baked it until it was all hot and the cheese was browned. It was very good.

I actually made that ahead of time and just had it in the refrigerator, since Wednesdays are work days for me. But then our Winter Weather Advisory resulted in the call at 5 a.m. that we were going to do "remote learning" for the day.

Let me tell you how happy my children are about the school laptops and Zoom cheating them of snow days anymore. For that matter, let me tell you how happy I am about that.

However! On the bright side, me being home allowed me to make this soda bread. And the children being home allowed them to eat it. It's very American soda bread, but then I'm very American Irish, so I suppose it's appropriate. 

I mostly made it because I found no less than four partially emptied jars of yogurt in the refrigerator, at the very moment that more yogurt was incubating in the kitchen. So I decided to use up some of the older yogurt in the soda bread. 

We ended up with a lot of desserts this week. I heard no complaints about this.

Thursday

Short version: Beef sandwiches, coleslaw

Long version: I cooked an arm roast in the morning, using the last of the rhubarb sauce to season it. So I decided to pretend it was like barbecue sauce and shred the meat to serve as sandwiches. I added some Dijon mustard, too, to tone down the sweetness a little. Between that and the coleslaw, it was a pretty sweet meal for the children.

I had some of the plain meat shredded with Holy's cabbage, and A. had leftover meatloaf.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Cubby! I love fruit pies! Better than cake or cookies.
pizza, salad
meatballs (stroganoff style), mashed potatoes, squash, garlic knots, Pots de Creme
shrimp over rice, broccoli, salad, Pots de Creme
crockpot pork chops with potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, skillet cabbage, garlic knots, PdC
barbequed chicken sandwiches, roasted oven fries, mixed vegetables, PdC
casserole of chicken, peas, hard boiled eggs, with cream of mushroom soup, salad, garlic knots
And for tonight tuna melts, vegetable soup & maybe I'll make that fake banana ice cream.
Linda

mil said...

Here is what I think about the salt and the sauce. It's complicated. Most chefs over-salt because they have a lousy lifestyle that includes alcohol, cigarettes, and who knows what else (don't ask). But do check Jacques and Julia and see what they say. I would tentatively recommend salting the meat thoroughly but lightly as many hours in advance as you can pull off, so that it flavors the meat deeply. Then, hold off on any more salt until you finish the dish. Well, actually take away that tentatively. The pre-salting is a good technique that I always forget about, but it is sort of like a dry brine and does work.

When you see what I actually ate this week, you may feel free to ditch any advice from this quarter.

Friday: bean soup that had been "archived" in the freezer for who knows how long
Sat: same bean soup with two fried eggs
Sun: broccoli, baked flounder filets, baked potato
Monday: grilled spiced pork chop, carrots baked with za'atar, baked potato, Perigord prune and walnut cake (gluten free new recipe, a keeper--very rich, tiny slices are perfect, not too sweet). I spiced the port chop with a home-made spice mixture that had been given to me in the distant past. Very peppery!
Tuesday: jambalaya with andouille sausage, a bit of the cake
Wednesday: Baked potatoes--my last russet and a red-skinned potato. Never bother baking a red-skinned potato. It was wet and not very tasty. So if you wonder about the different kinds of potatoes for different uses, yes, it's a real thing. A can of sardines.
Thursday: rice from the leftover jambalaya, leftover pork chop. Celery with cream cheese spread (the Liptauer cheese spread from the Joy of Cooking.)

Karen. said...

Coincidentally, I roasted a sirloin tip roast on Wednesday. I followed the recipe to a T, took the meat's temp at the right time, the whole nine yards. It is approximately as fun to eat as a shoe would be. Fantastic. In future, I think I may have it ground instead of saved as a roast.

As far as very salty roast drippings, what salt do you use? I have found that kosher salt works better. Not saying this is an answer, necessarily, and any reason I would have for it would be purely speculative, but fine salt is too salty for us.

Kate said...

I've had so many tough sirloin tips that I pot roast them now. Seems a waste but there it is. Also, my husband doesn't like much salt so I don't add any til I'm done cooking. I don't know if I recommend it or not, but it works for us.
Friday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, broccoli
Saturday (grandkids) - meatballs baked in cream of mushroom soup, noodles, peas, and we made sugar cookies with my Easter cookie cutters. An Easter egg, a bunny, and a duck. They all like the egg best when they choose a cookie to eat because it's the biggest. No points for the bunny and duck, which are cute but small.
Sunday (grandkids) - pita pizza, tossed salad
Monday - eggs, fried potatoes, canned tomatoes
Tuesday - leftover cauliflower soup, sourdough bread
Wednesday - leftover meatballs on toast
Thursday - roasted chicken and brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes

mil said...

Kosher salt is definitely a good suggestion. It is easier to control amounts and has a less harsh flavor.

Claire said...

Very strange, I was not able to access your blog this weekend.. I kept getting an error message. Now it works!

Thanks for the shout-out :-) There are as many ways of making rösti as they are grandmas in Switzerland, as with any traditional dish. Typically however, it's done on the stovetop. I've never tried in the oven, it doesn't seem a bad idea but it would get less crispy. One thing that helps to get cooked potatoes inside and crispy but not burnt edges, is to parboil the potatoes before grating them. It also cooks faster.

Monday belgian endive gratin & rice
Tuesday pasta with lamb and spinach sauce from the freezer
Wed roast chicken with potatoes and fennel (all in the oven with beer and madeira)
Thursday I had a bad cold so Mr was in charge of cooking: he made grilled cheese sandwiches and salad
Friday Caesar salad with the leftover chicken
Saturday skirt steak (bavette), rösti with leftover potatoes (thanks for the inspirstion Kirstin!) and sauteed kale
Sunday homemade ukrainian-style manty ravioli filled with bits and pieces from the fridge and pantry (some beef stolen from the dog, raddish leaves, old soft carrots, half a turnip, kale stems, a grated baked potato, green onion and garlic)

Claire said...

And well done for keeping your rösti intact when flipping it! I failed mine on Saturday ;-)