Sunday, April 25, 2021

Snapshots: Tomatoes!

We'll start right off with the big excitement: There are tomatoes in the ground. Outside.

Specifically, there are 25 tomato plants outside under milk cartons.


It's a bit shocking how quickly I can accumulate 25 milk cartons.

The milk cartons are essential, because we are definitely not past our last freeze date. Just ask the poor asparagus.
 

Bowed and defeated.

When I went out last week and saw the asparagus hanging like that, I have to admit I stood there staring at them for more than a minute, puzzling over what could have happened to them. After a couple of minutes, I had the very delayed lightbulb realization: "Oh yeah. It was 25 degrees last night. They froze."

Bummer. I'm sure the roots are okay. At least, I hope they are.
 
Switching topics . . . we're going to be in Tucson in June for my brother-in-law's memorial service. Since all six of us are going, we have to take the dogs with us. These are not dogs that will be okay in a kennel. They will not be okay if we are not here. So they have to come with us. 

I thought two adults, four children, and two feral dogs might be a bit much at my parents' house, where my brother and his family will be, as well as my sister and niece. It seemed wise for us to find our own lodgings. 

So to Airbnb I went, for the first time in my life. I found a very cool house to rent--a ranch house on 15 acres, no less--but completing the transaction required me to take a photo for the host to view. To make sure I'm a real person, I guess.

So then I had to have A. take my picture, which does not ever happen. So it's a photo of me definitely in my natural state. Although I did remove my dirty fleece and take my hair out of its very messy bun.

It doesn't matter what I look like, though, because I have the world's cutest accessory on my hip.

Who could resist renting a house to that face? (I refer to Poppy's face, of course, not mine.)

Speaking of Tucson, on one of our daily walks around my parents' neighborhood when I was there a couple of weeks ago, we saw this house being built. I had an immediate and visceral reaction to it, but I won't tell you what it was, because I'm interested to hear what your immediate reaction to it might be.


First thing you think when you see this: GO.

And there you have it! My life, snapshotted.

14 comments:

samcarter said...

My first thought when I see that house: Huh?

My second thought: It reminds me a tiny bit of the warehouse in the show Warehouse 13, so...maybe? I like Warehouse 13, living in a house that evokes it would be kind of nifty. I can't attach a picture, unfortunately. https://warehouse13.fandom.com/wiki/Warehouse_13_(Facility)

mil said...

Bunker/fallout shelter

Really super picture of you and Poppy. A should take more pictures! Congrats on the tomatoes!

Gemma's person said...

Bomb shelter.
Beach latrine facility so it can all be sprayed down once a day.

Anonymous said...

I thought either a warehouse or possibly a prison (but even prison residents get windows somewhere). Mary in MN

sheila said...

Cold fruit storage house for apples.

Anonymous said...

Shelter for the upcoming zombie apocalypse!

Kate said...

toilet facility at a rest area on the expressway.

Anonymous said...

A heat storage facility?

Anonymous said...

3d printed house made of concrete for low income housing? Its a thing.

Karen. said...

Ah. Yikes. Paint paradise and put up a parking lot.

Alternate immediate thought, tennis courts.

Lisa said...

Prison. And no walking around unless fully dressed with those windows. Oddly it looks a lot like the building where I work.

Anonymous said...

Warehouse or LARGE garage.
Linda

Mary W said...

Bunker

Quilty Chaos said...

My first thought was that I hoped there are a lot of windows on the other side. My second thought is that it could be made of SIPs, with plans to cut the windows out later. But I only had that second thought because we've looked into building with the panels ourselves.