Friday, June 25, 2021

Friday Food: Chicken Beer

Friday 

Short version: Scrambled eggs, chili pinto beans, rice, carrot sticks with curry dip

Long version: I put some of the sauce I had drained off the Costco barbacoa in with the beans.

That's about it.

Saturday

Short version: Barbecue beef, garlic bread, coleslaw

Long version: I'm having barbecue sauce issues. The only purchased barbecue sauce I really like is NY-state specific, and that really can't be ordered online without paying exorbitant shipping costs. I've tried several Texas barbecue sauces, and they're all too spicy. A lot are also too sweet.

But I was tired of being out of barbecue sauce, so I went ahead and ordered the barbecue sauce that comes through the school Sysco program. I had tasted the barbecue sauce used in our cafeteria, and it was fine, so I figured I'd just get that.

Unfortunately, what came is NOT the same as what I tasted. And there's a gallon of it.

It's okay, but it has a very strong smoke flavor, so if I use too much, it makes food taste kind of burned. Boo. I can use it, but sparingly, and I need to dilute it with more vinegar, I think.

I did one last big harvest of the spring-planted vegetables this day:


Very satisfying.

There will be a bit of lull now until the summer vegetables--mostly green beans and tomatoes--are ready.

Sunday

Short version: Steaks, dill potato salad, green salad with ranch dressing, baked custard

Long version: I know, steaks are the ultimate cliche for a Father's Day dinner. But A. likes steak, so I guess he's a cliche too.

I made the same potato salad with lots of fresh dill that I made for our roadtrip, because A. loved it so much. This time I halved the sugar, with no appreciable difference.

I overbaked the custards, so they were a little separated, rather than smooth and unctuous. But at least I had a proper-sized vessel for the water bath!

I'm working on upsizing my kitchen, because I'm cooking larger quantities of food all the time, and that's not going to reverse course any time soon. I started by buying the largest glass Pyrex pan I could find (4.8 quarts). This was the first time I used it, and I discovered a double recipe of the baked custard I make fits perfectly in two casserole dishes that fit inside that Pyrex.


Hooray!

Monday

Short version: Pork carnitas tacos with homemade corn tortillas

Long version: After many days well above 90 degrees, this day was about 70 degrees with high winds. So I could run the oven for awhile. Thus, carnitas. I found a piece of pork shoulder roast in the freezer, and that's what I used.

It was also cool enough to fire up the cast-iron griddle pan to make tortillas, so I did that. It had been awhile. They sure are good.

Tuesday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: An eclectic meal.

A. had leftover stew meat with some onion I had cooked with no particular purpose, some of the barbacoa sauce from the Costco beef the week before, and some pepperjack cheese. Plus beet greens I had cooked just so they wouldn't take up so much space in the refrigerator.


I did freeze most of them, however.

Cubby had some of the barbecue stew meat, the last of the dill potato salad, and some beets. He's the only child who really loves beets like I do.

Calvin, Jack, and Poppy had a skillet dish of the stew meat with leftover rice, the rest of the barbacoa sauce, the rest of the cooked onion, finely diced beet greens, and a bit of grated cheese left from the night before's tacos.

I had a salad with the stew meat, beets, some of the ranch dressing, and half an avocado. You can tell from the avocado that A. went to a store recently. 

Wednesday

Short version: More leftovers, plus chicken rice

Long version: The refrigerator really was quite full. This time, I had the food processor out to make fruit shakes (smoothies) for lunch, so I rinsed it out and made a quick pasta sauce with the last three cubes of pesto from the freezer, a can of drained whole tomatoes, and olive oil. I added that to the egg noodles I had cooked, plus some finely diced beet greens and leftover stew meat and Parmesan cheese.

Egg noodles, incidentally, are way better than regular pasta. We got this bag from Miss Amelia. I think I'm going to buy those from now on myself, though.

A. had leftover steak with Romano cheese on top, plus some beet greens.

I had another salad, just like the night before, except with leftover pork instead of beef.

After dinner, I used the big pot I had made the pasta in to make chicken rice. Not rice with chicken in it, but rice for the chickens.

We're almost out of chicken food, but I have a dentist appointment next week, so rather than make a special trip to get food I'm stretching the chicken food by supplementing with brown rice and split peas. You might recall I have plenty of each. The chickens forage quite capably this time of year, anyway, since they're very free range, so they just need a little extra.

Cooking for chickens is even more annoying than cooking for dogs, but at least I get some eggs from the chickens. The same cannot be said for the dogs.

Interestingly, the peas and rice, which are in a bowl covered with water, have started fermenting very strongly in the heat we've been having. They're all bubbly and smell like beer, and the chickens LOVE it.

Make of that what you will.

Thursday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, curried split peas, leftover rice, frozen green peas

Long version: Um. I fried the peas in with the sausage, because I didn't want to dirty another dish? Yeah, that's all I got.

Can you guess what I had? Yes! Another salad! This one was pretty light on the lettuce, because the early lettuce has bolted and the summer-planted lettuce is still too small. So it was just a little lettuce, with diced beets, finely diced onion, half an avocado, some of the peas, and shaved Romano cheese. It was very good.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

grilled hot dogs, baked beans, potato salad made with olive oil/lemon juice dressing (similar to the salad you made for your trip) We really liked the salad made this way. We usually have it with the typical mayo dressing.
tuna melts, salad
shrimp, broccoli, rice, garlic bread
crockpot meal of ground beef & potatoes with taco spices, toast, green beans
crockpot chicken, potatoes, carrots, salad, garlic sticks
baked spaghetti, garlic sticks, salad
And for tonight leftover spaghetti.
Linda

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: I like potato salad of all kinds, but the oil and vinegar potato salad is very useful for car trips and picnics and so on. The recipe I've been using is basically a German potato salad, which I love.

Anonymous said...

Two weeks ago while shopping with a friend at Sam's Club I bought a large (10 lb) package of spare ribs that were marked way down because they had reached their "use by" date. I threw them in the freezer. Usually I grill steak for my husband for Father's Day but decided to cook the ribs instead this year. I was not clever enough to partially thaw the package to separate the 2 racks and refreeze one of them so I had to cook both. Even though our daughter, granddaughter and my shopping friend joined us for dinner on Father's Day, there was A LOT of meat left for 2 people. Pork was eaten nearly every night from Sunday on.
Friday: charcuterie board at the local watering hole
Saturday: pizza topped with sauteed leeks and swiss chard, linguica sausage(a mistake)and colored pepper
Sunday: spare ribs cooked on low temp in the oven for about 3.5 hrs then spread with barbecue sauce and broiled. Kristin, you would not like this sauce. Its first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup and later on down the ingredient list is actual sugar. We also had crazy good rice and salad.
Monday: leftover ribs, rice and tomato cucumber salad
Tuesday: beef and bean tacos. My husband had to prepare the taco fixings for this dinner because I had to attend a webinar that ended at 6:30 and a meeting that started at 6:00. He choose to pull frozen beef and bean taco filling out of the freezer instead of using the pork for the filling.
Wednesday: leftover ribs, rice, tomato cucumber salad
Thursday: leftover ribs, rice, sauteed zucchini, yellow pepper and garlic scapes (my own). I cooked a big batch of rice on Sunday knowing that we would be eating leftover pork for most of the week. It lasted well. We ate the last of the pork and finished up the rice too.
Pam in Maine

Anonymous said...

Just a thought on the barbecue sauce - barbecue sauce is basically ketchup, vinegar, and spices. There are a lot of recipes online and you might be able to find a "knock-off" recipe for the one you like. It tends to keep indefinitely, plus, you'll know how much sugar is in it and can change it up as needed. Once you start making your own it's hard to go back.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Pam: I have also had to cook a giant quantity of ribs at once, because of the freezing thing, and have also had the Week of Pork. Not a bad week to have, honestly.

Anonymous: Yes, definitely. The problem is that I make SO MUCH "my own" already that I kind of relied on barbecue sauce to be one thing that was convenient, you know? But I think the time has come to stop being so lazy about making some of my own. Barbecue experimentation ahoy.

Kit said...

Friday-my grandson's birthday. I brought two Boston cream pies, which is what he wanted for his birthday cake. Yum.
Saturday-hamburgers with buns, salad
Sunday-grilled cheese pie, salad
Monday-camping with 3 grandkids. My first night meal is always deli ham and cheese (I know it's expensive, but it's vacation!) rolled in whole wheat tortillas. Worst case scenario (car broken down by side of road or possibly sitting inside during terrible storm) you can just eat them. Best case scenario, which was this time thank goodness, I heat them in the frying pan til they're brown and the cheese melts. Also we had salad from home and marshmallows.
Tuesday-pita pizza cooked over the fire, more salad and more marshmallows
Wednesday-fried spam, potatoes baked in the fire, broccoli, marshmallows
Thursday-hot dogs, chips, broccoli, and Little Debbie Nutty Bars because we ate up all the marshmallows
Friday-home, thank goodness a real meal. Meat pies, salad.

Gemma's person said...

What you say, your dogs don't lay eggs?
Drunken chickens...sounds like the start of a recipe!