Tuesday, June 8, 2021

T.T.: The All-Important Salad Bowl

I eat a lot of salads. That's why I get so excited at the advent of lettuce season.

I don't eat them as a side dish, though. Generally, I put whatever protein and vegetables we have in with my lettuce and have that as my meal. So there's usually a lot of stuff in my salads: cheese, meat, nuts, lots of different vegetables.

And it is with this kind of salad that it's most important to choose the right bowl.

First, it has to be the right size. The salad shouldn't fill it more than 2/3 of the way. You need room to both mix the salad around in the bowl and maneuver your fork to choose what to put on it as you eat.

Equally important is the shape of the bowl. What you most definitely do not want is a really deep bowl. Because then all the add-ins end up at the bottom, and that means you spend the first few minutes eating nothing but lettuce. Bummer.

To find all that good stuff as you eat, you want a relatively wide and shallow bowl. 

Also, it should have sloping sides, not straight ones. You want it wider at the top than at the bottom.

I don't even remember how I got my preferred salad bowl. I think it might have been part of a incredibly cheap set of Corelle dishes from the thrift store.


Unknown origins, but no less important for all that.

Sometimes I use the bowl part of my salad spinner, just so I don't dirty another dish, but it's not as good as my real salad bowl. Because it's just a bit too deep.

In case you were thinking we were only going to cover topics of great import here for Tuesday Tips, I think this post will prove otherwise. Unless you're as into salad as I am. In which case you probably already have a favorite salad bowl of your own.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely agree that salad has to be in the right size bowl.
Linda

Mary W said...

Somehow our diet has developed so that 50 percent of our meals are eaten out of shallow bowls.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mary W.: Pretty much all of my favorite meals can be eaten out of such a bowl.

Gemma's person said...

That sounds like my kind of salad. A bowl keeps everything settling to the middle with out a lot of fork work too.

Karen. said...

Yes! An old-school Pyrex mix/measure bowl that's the leaf shape is also perfect. When we have a "big salad" meal, we use all the mixing bowls in the kitchen. They're not perfect, but they serve the purpose and keep me from buying a whole bunch more kitchen stuff.

Though, to be clear, I love kitchen stuff almost as much as I don't love cooking, so more kitchen stuff is almost always an option.

sheila said...

I had my favorite salad bowl, but it broke. I'm still looking for it's replacement.

Anonymous said...

My mom bought the most perfect salad bowls at the Dollar General!