Tuesday, August 3, 2021

T.T.: Beware the Curry

Although I am generally an all-cast-iron-and-wooden-spoons sort of cook, I do make one important exception: curry.

The combination of strong spices in curry powder permeates everything it touches. It will sink into a wooden spoon and make it still smell like curry days later. Don't stir curry with a wooden spoon unless you don't mind everything you stir with it for the next several uses to be faintly touched with curry.

The smell and taste of curry will also linger in cast iron for a few washes. I mean, it's not necessarily bad to have a fried egg that's faintly yellow and tastes of curry, but it might be unexpected.

For this reason, I use stainless steel pans and spoons when I make anything with curry powder.


Onions and curry powder: a potent combination.

Leftovers go into glass containers, not plastic, for the same reason.

So just remember, kids: Cast iron and curry* don't mix. Break out the stainless steel and glass for your curry and thank me later.

* And wood and plastic, but that would have spoiled the alliteration.

4 comments:

mil said...

I wonder if it's the turmeric that makes curry so persistent. I'll bet it is.

Gemma's person said...

Can I ask what you cook with curry powder?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

G.P.: That particular picture was the beginnings of curried chicken and vegetables. Most often I made curried split peas. I sometimes make a curry with leftover lamb, too. And I really like curried cauliflower, although I rarely have cauliflower.

Daisy said...

Good tip! I'll pass it on to DH. Me? I don't like much of anything with curry. I haven't found a curry that is bland enough (seriously) to avoid knocking me over.