Friday, August 6, 2021

Friday Food: Four Food Photos

Friday 

Short version: Mystery meat, bread and butter, frozen peas

Long version: I pulled out two bags of red meat from the freezer that were labeled "neck roast." The question is: The bull's neck, or the ram's neck?

If it was from the ram, it would get tender in a reasonable amount of time. If it was the bull, it would, um, not. So I decided to play it safe and pressure cook it. That way, it would cook in a reasonable amount of time no matter what it was.

I cooked it with onion, garlic, and some of the leftover pasta sauce. Then, at dinnertime, I fried it in the tallow rendered while it was cooking and added the rest of the pasta sauce, plus some asadero cheese.

It came out well, and A. positively identified it as sheep meat.

I really need to start labeling meat more specifically.

Saturday

Short version: Tacos, raw green beans, pinto beans. collard greens

Long version: I didn't have quite enough of the ram meat left for everyone, so I added a can of commodities beef we got from someone.

Canned meat seems sketchy, but the ingredients are literally just the meat and salt. So it's just like the meat I pressure can. 

Well, the texture is a little different--shreddier--but that's probably because that meat wasn't from a mature bull.

The collard greens have definitely been an unsung hero in the garden this year. They volunteered, and while every other plant is bolting in the heat or getting eaten by various species of caterpillar or grasshopper, they keep soldiering on.

I need to remember to use more of the jars of pinto beans I pressure canned some time ago. I still have at least 12 pint jars left, and plenty more dried beans in the pantry.

Sunday

Short version: Roast chicken, roasted potatoes and onions, roasted garlic, green salad with ranch dressing, pots de creme

Long version: Poppy always goes with A. to feed the chickens. When one of the meat chickens pecked her in his zeal to get at the food she was carrying, she declared "Off with his head!"

Maybe not those exact words, but she was of the opinion that he was ready for the oven. A. was happy to oblige. He did the actual killing, as well as the scalding (dunking it in hot water--makes it easier to get the feathers out) and singeing (with fire, to get the little hair-like feathers off), but Poppy and Jack did most of the plucking, and Cubby did the gutting.

A.'s ultimate goal is to turn the entire butchering process over to the children.

Anyway.

I cooked it with butter, garlic, lemon, and rosemary. Once again, it was a very big chicken.


Very tasty, too.

We dug the potatoes earlier in the day. Not as large as some potatoes we've grown in the past, but certainly a good return on the dozen or so potatoes we put in the ground last fall.


Also tasty.

The salad was mostly beet greens, with a token amount of lettuce and spinach from the small plants I currently have in the garden. Summer-planting greens really does not work here. Too hot and dry.

Cubby chose the pots de creme. That is far and away the most-requested dessert since I've started letting them choose.

Monday

Short version: Chicken and vegetable curry, rice, garlic bread

Long version: Pretty basic curry with leftover chicken, onion, carrots, and peas, with the interesting addition of green tomatoes. I had several green tomatoes on the counter that had come off the plants while Poppy and I were hunting for caterpillars (the pest situation this year is OFF THE CHARTS--post coming soon). They were green enough that there was no possibility they would turn red on the counter, so I chopped them all up and threw them in the curry. They cooked right down and were unnoticeable in the finished product.

Before they cooked down, though, they looked very pretty:


I just love colorful vegetables.

Tuesday

Short version: Leftovers

Long version: For the kids, I made chicken and gravy with the last of the leftover chicken and the juices, plus cornstarch and milk. I added some peas to that, too, and put it over leftover rice for them.

A. and I had the last of the ram/beef taco meat fried with leftover collard greens and some onion I had roasted with the chicken.

And then we all had cherries, because I had an appointment in the Outside World this day, and never miss an opportunity to take advantage of the all-too-fleeting season in which cherries are available at the store. These were particularly good ones, too.

Wednesday

Short version: Scrambled eggs, pinto beans, quesadillas, raw green beans, collard greens

Long version: A. had scrambled eggs with feta, plus some leftover collard greens.

The children had the eggs, beans, and cheese quesadillas I made with the very exciting flour tortillas purchased at the grocery store.

Flour tortillas are a rare treat (their ingredient list is a bit alarming), so that made a meal of scrambled eggs a bit more acceptable to the children. They also had the raw green beans.

I had a salad, with this exciting addition:


The first of what I hope will be many. If I can fend off the many, many insects bent on tomato destruction this year.

Thursday

Short version: Beef goulash with sauerkraut and carrots, mashed potatoes, carrot sticks with ranch dip, vanilla ice cream with chocolate shell

Long version: I actually made the goulash the day before, when it was cool and cloudy. The sauerkraut was some I had made from a store cabbage awhile ago. There wasn't enough of it to can, so I just put a couple of bags in the freezer.

The kids got ice cream because I needed to bribe them so I could cut the boys' hair. You may recall bribery was my most important tip about cutting boys' hair. Ice cream is an excellent bribe.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

grilled chicken thighs, tomato & cucumber salad, broccoli, garlic bread, peach pie
zucchini/grd. beef lasagna, garlic brd.,cantaloupe, roasted potatoes, peach pie
chicken & broccoli skillet, cantaloupe, garlic brd., peach/tomato curry salad
takeout
hot chicken salad, roasted potatoes, cantaloupe, salad, garlic brd.
spaghetti & meatballs, yellow beans, cantaloupe
And for tonight tuna melts & yellow beans
Linda

mil said...

Gosh, but that is an impressive chicken.
What I ate this week--lentils, sausage, and rice--it goes on forever
Two chicken legs (drumsticks and thighs) from the stand where we used to get eggs and which now is offering home-raised meat chickens. They were good--baked with vegetables (carrots, onions, garlic, and new potatoes). The difference between home-raised chickens and the typical grocery store chicken makes it very hard to settle for "store" chicken. The early potatoes I'm eating are "Natascha," helpfully dug for me by Cubby. The girl next door dug the rest of the row,so I could give them my extras.

Kit said...

Friday-scrambled eggs, red-skinned potatoes, corn on the cob
Saturday-sloppy joes, corn on the cob, salad, seven layer bars (by special request from the 13 year old)
Sunday-pancakes and sausage
Monday-macaroni and cheese (children present were 6,6, and 4), apple slices, ice cream sandwiches, and beans in tortillas for the adults
Tuesday-beef and green pea salad, corn on the cob, watermelon
Wednesday-zucchini, pasta and feta cheese, corn on the cob
Thursday-salmon and potato salad

Pam said...

Friday - charcuterie platter at the local pub followed at home by red hotdogs(no buns) covered with guacamole, mayo and other condiments
Saturday - pizza with red sauce, andouille sausage, colored pepper
Sunday - Community Supper night where the bagged meal contained hotdogs (not red and with buns), baked beans, coleslaw and cookies, basically a Maine bean supper. There were 2 extra bags at the end so that was our supper
Monday - quinoa salad patties fried in bacon fat. On Sunday I had attempted to make a quinoa salad with a tahini dressing for a baby shower and it did not go well. It tasted pretty good but the texture was not good. However tt packed into patties and fried up well. Anything fried in bacon fat is good no matter what it starts out tasting like. The patties were then covered in mayo and hot sauce.
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - another round of quinoa patties fried in bacon fat and some marinated and grilled zucchini. There was a lot of quinoa salad and this did not finish it. It was part of several lunches during the week.
Thursday - Domino's pizza with the neighbors to celebrate a birthday. It was much better than the Domino's pizza we had tried about a year ago so I was pleasantly surprised.
Pam in Maine

Gemma's person said...

I was intrigued when you listed mystery meat in your short list. Then the explanation made it clear. Testimony to your cooking that you can do anything with anything and it tastes good!

Daisy said...

Interesting suggestion for the green tomatoes. I brought in a couple that had small cracks in them; I hope they'll ripen indoors. I didn't want the tiny bugs to find their way into the cracks on the plant.
Ah, the neck roast. Definitely start labeling!

Claire said...

I love that the kids are learning all these skills! Horse riding, butchering, gardening, wow. Has Cubby set up his own garden this year?
Ok what we ate:
Last weekend we were over at my inlaws so I cooked gluten free & lactose free food, this seems to help my MiL with her ME.
Friday lamb racks with oven roasted potatoes and steamed pak choi
Saturday barbecue for lunch: lentil salad, tomato mozz basil salad, T bone steak and grilled zucchini. gluten free pizza for dinner
Sunday carrot, lentil and ginger soup, make-you-own vietnamese rolls with shrimp or beef
Monday salmon with bacon and carrots over rice
Tuesday crêpes with leftovers from the weekend, ham, egg & cheese
Wednesday salmon tartare with toasts and salad
Thursday basque duck with green peppers, risoni pasta and chorizo (all in one pot, I love that kindof dishes, washing up is so much quicker)
Friday stuffed tomatoes with leftover risoni &duck

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Claire: Woah. That is a seriously delicious-sounding week you had. Cubby didn't have a garden this year. All he grew was some alfalfa that A. wanted in the pasture to start seeding. His alfalfa patch looks pretty good, but it's only edible for the animals. :-)

Anonymous said...

Newish here; so what’s with the “raw green beans”? You guys don’t like cooked green beans? I like both, but will only eat a few raw ones. Cooked, I would eat huge amounts. Just curious!

Anonymous said...

I really must read more carefully! For a moment I was puzzling over caterpillars turning red on the counter....

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: Ha. I haven't yet found any caterpillars on my counter, but I expect the invasion to reach my kitchen any day now.

I have a couple of children who prefer almost every vegetable raw rather than cooked. Since it's just as easy for me to leave a little of anything raw rather than cooking it all, they will often just have the raw vegetables.

Claire said...

@Kristin : indeed, it was a fancy-food week :-)
Good for Cubby on the alfalfa patch ! Our dad used to make us eat alfalfa sprouts as kids, they were pretty good on good bread with cream cheese. I haven't eaten any since though