Saturday, November 14, 2020

We're Ready for Thanksgiving!

 

We've got decorations!


These are not Christmas lights. They are Thanksgiving lights, because they're only white and only in the kitchen, which is the center of all Thanksgiving festivities.


Window decals courtesy of my sister and applied by my very careful children.


Preschool art from one of the children. Maybe Charlie? There's no name on it, and I have now had three children go through preschool, so who knows.


Turkey centerpiece given to me by my mom seventeen years ago (yikes), with the further embellishment of two malformed squash that never matured before the frost. Festive!

We also have lots of meat on hand:


Conveniently located in the apricot tree right outside our front door. 

A. killed the ram yesterday--for reasons mostly to do with wanting to avoid inbreeding with his incoming group of offspring--and it is currently aging for a few days before we butcher it. So that, along with the bull, will ensure we have a very full meat freezer.

How are your Thanksgiving preparations coming along (if you're American, of course)? Any big plans?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention yesterday, I never have good luck with freezing things in mason jars. They always crack for me, also.
No turkey, no problem. Two other meat selections to pick from. Sounds good!
Linda

mil said...

I am sort of planning an early Thanksgiving but I am afraid that no one will come. However, my air filter seems to work well, and I can crack windows and doors for air circulation, and with a roaring fire in the wood stove, maybe---- The gov has set a max of 10, anyway, so whatever happens will be small in scale if not in spirit. Great decorations! I'm glad you've got the lights.

Kay said...

Our local DS & DDIL and littles will probably come over. We'll have a turkey breast, mashed potatoes-gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, fruit salad, rolls, pie. The usual. I have everything I need for the meal except the turkey breast. I'll get that this week.
Decorations have been up since mid-October. The outside pumpkins are looking very sad since we've had lots of freezing temps and snow. I'm ready for twinkling lights and red/green/gold.

sheila said...

No big Thanksgiving this year with the usual 30 to 40 guests. It will be just the 3 household members. We are making 10 pies and distributing them out to our usual guest's homes the day before Thanksgiving. At least that is the plan for now, as long as none of us get sick. Even going out shopping feels risky at this point. The numbers are climbing and my neighbors are in quarantine after being exposed to Covid-19.

Turkey is still our plan here and I foresee lots of casseroles and soup. It looks like small turkeys are in short supply this year so I plan to just go with a big one and enjoy it the whole month of December. The freezer is my friend. I also picked cranberries at a bog and canned 6 pints of sauce so it's all good here.