Sunday, November 14, 2021

Snapshots: Woodworking Wins for the Week

A couple of years ago, the MiL had the giant black walnut tree on the north side of Blackrock felled, thereby ending the annual labor of picking up the nuts that fell by the hundreds every fall.

I may have silently cheered from across the country, since I was the main walnut-picker during the decade we lived there.

Anyway.

A. hauled some of that wood back here.

It was this wood my father used to make me a nightstand after I finally decided I was tired of the rickety 20-year-old folding table that had been serving that purpose for a couple of years.

Can I say it "really transformed the space"?


No, that would be too annoying. I can say I love it, though.

That same wood was also called into service when the handle on my potato masher fell off. The handle was just a stainless steel tube attached to the mashing part. I asked Cubby to carve a new handle for me, which he did in about fifteen minutes. Then A. drilled a hole in the wood and used J-B Weld to attach it to the masher part.


 Ta da! My very fancy potato masher. (And the origami tulip Cubby also made for me. He's very crafty.)

In non-wood news . . .

The dogs found a way out of our perimeter fence the other night and were waiting for me outside of the gate when I went out for our morning walk.


On the outside looking in.

They were still game for a walk, of course.


Here comes the sun, do do do.

And there you have it! My life, snapshotted.

4 comments:

mil said...

Beautiful nightstand! And I am sure that you will enjoy the feel of Cubby's hand-carved handle--much more friendly to the palm than steel.

Gemma's person said...

What a beauty (the nightstand).
Forever Cubby , he's the man!

Anonymous said...

The nightstand is beautiful! My father was also a woodworker/cabinet maker, after he retired.
AND the handle cubby whittled/carved is gorgeous.
Linda

Joellen said...

That is a beautiful nightstand! Your father is very talented.