Tuesday, November 23, 2021

T.T.: Something To Watch

A. is much more likely than I am to find something on our desktop computer to watch at night. Actually, I literally never do that, because watching anything with our insane children running around the room drives me crazy. He's more able to tune them out, though, so he will not infrequently put on a YouTube documentary about, say, ship breaking in India, or the wildlife of Andalucia.

I don't find those subjects interesting enough to make the effort of watching over and around the running children, however, so I rarely watch with him.

This week, though, he found something interesting enough that I actually sat down and watched it.

It's a 1977 documentary called World Safari filmed by an Australian guy and his friend who spent six years just wandering around the world--on sailboats, buses, trains, and one tiny Dutch car--and ended up in the most unbelievable situations. It was filmed on a Super 8 camera (I think), and is the most incredible collection of adventures I've ever seen.

It is very real, and therefore sometimes hard to watch. Such as when they ended up in the middle of a drought-stricken African nation and witnessed the starving children. But it's not sensationalized at all. It's just what they actually saw as they traveled.

Nothing was planned, they just went here and there following means of transport as they came up, and sometimes jobs when they needed money. It's certainly not at all scripted. 

Despite some of the unpleasant situations they found themselves in, it's mostly upbeat and fun to watch. The older boys watched it with us (the younger ones were doing the aforementioned running), and there wasn't anything where I felt like I needed to get up and skip through.

So! If you need something to watch and this sounds interesting, you can find it here.

(There are at least two more volumes of it, but I haven't seen those.)


2 comments:

mil said...

I will look at it! And I wonder what those guys are doing now--the trip seems like it might have been a truly life-changing experience. I wonder, are they doing something amazing internationally? Or did they settle down to a humdrum existence (as most of us do) and just let their memories (and film) be their daily adventures.

Anonymous said...

Looks interesting. I'll check it out when I have more time.
Linda