Friday, February 11, 2022

Friday Food: It's a Birthday

Today is Cubby's 12th birthday. He does not wish his handsome visage to be featured here, and so I will instead post a picture of a plane the birthday boy made for his sister out of cardboard and Tinker Toys.


Named, amusingly The Predatory Princess. Her call sign is the Red Yam.

And now, food.

Friday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, baked beans, fresh bread, carrot sticks, frozen vegetables

Long version: The MiL sent me a recipe that's supposed to make baked beans like Grandma Brown's baked beans. We used to drive past the Grandma Brown's factory in Mexico, New York on our way from far northern New York to Blackrock.

Anyway. I tried the recipe. I was a bit short of brown sugar, so I used the last of my small bottle of maple syrup. I think it was a bit too sweet, because I just put what was left in the bottle rather than measuring carefully, but they were still pretty good.

Not, of course, JUST like Grandma Browns, which my children were quick to mention.

I got my Misfits Market delivery this day. Thanks to the weather, it was two days late and frozen absolutely solid.


Those are some seriously cool cucumbers.

They refunded the cost of the whole order and gave me a $10 credit, as well. So now I can tell you that they do have good customer service.

And of course, I did use all that frozen stuff. The children sampled all of it, still frozen, and discovered that they actually really like frozen cucumber slices.

Saturday

Short version: Spaghetti and meatballs, baked fennel, frozen peas

Long version: I was very, very tempted to punk out with something easy like taco meat with the ground beef I had taken out to thaw, but I overcame my lazy impulses and made meatballs instead. 

I figured I might as well, since I had roasted the frozen cherry tomatoes the day before with a head of garlic while I was baking bread and made the spaghetti sauce. If there is sauce, there should be meatballs.

They were really good. Virtue is indeed its own reward.

Sunday

Short version: Pork and sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, green beans, chocolate pudding

Long version: I really, really love sauerkraut with pork. A. does, too, and sauerkraut is the only form of cabbage he can eat in any quantity, so that works out.


Definitely humble food of the most delicious sort. (Photo bombing by Pretty Sparkles the Unicorn.)

I always make a double recipe of chocolate pudding, and we always eat it all. We're a double recipe kind of family, I guess.

Monday

Short version: Chicken tacos

Long version: Poppy had wistfully remarked the day before that she wished we could have chicken. I have several roosters in the freezer at the moment, along with a few bags of chicken pulled from bones after stock-making that I had labeled "chicken for soup."

Except instead of soup, I made tacos with a couple of the bags of soup chicken by simply frying the chicken with spices and salsa. Much more popular than soup would have been, no doubt. 

Tuesday

Short version: Barbecue bull, rice, coleslaw

Long version: Two jars of pressure-canned bull meat further broken down with the immersion blender, then fried with additional tallow (because it has no fat of its own), and then I added barbecue sauce and grated cheese. Serviceable.

I hadn't made coleslaw in awhile. It sure is good. I was actually reminded of it by Poppy's friend, who came to stay with us during the day while her mom was at work and was asking all about the cabbage seeds in the bathroom and what I do with them.


The woodstove picnic the girls had later in the day did not include coleslaw.

Wednesday

Short version: A plethora of leftovers, tomato salad

Long version: Let's see. A. and I had fried pork and sauerkraut, and leftover rice. Plus coleslaw and tomato salad.

Cubby had the last serving of lamb stew with some extra bull meat added.

The rest had chicken tacos.

The tomato salad was made with the cherry tomatoes I got with my Misfits Market order, which were lacking in flavor, as all winter tomatoes are. Salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic powder helped, but they were still winter tomatoes. Boo.

Thursday

Short version: Bull and potato skillet, more chicken tacos, green beans, raw radishes

Long version: I made a skillet of sliced microwaved potatoes plus the rest of the bull meat, and spices and cheese. Then I gave the children a choice between that or more chicken tacos. Half the family had the tacos and half had the skillet food, which worked out well.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Cubby!
Cool plane!
takeout
chicken barbeque, coleslaw, roasted potatoes
taco salad, corn chips
Nothing as we went out for lunch using Christmas gift cards & were still full.
mini quiches, acorn squash, garlic bread sticks
pizza, salad
And for tonight taco seasoned grd. beef & cheese over roasted potatoes, salad.
Linda

Gemma's person said...

Happy Birthday Master Cubby!
You are one great brother.

Kit said...

happy birthday Cubby! Great plane!
Friday-last of the vegetable beef soup, and sourdough biscuits
Saturday-spaghetti and meatballs, broccoli, lemon cookies
Sunday-Mexican meatloaf, baked potatoes, and forgettable vegetables. One child had yogurt.
Monday-eggs, oven-fried potatoes, peas
Tuesday-arctic char, baked potatoes, broccoli
Wednesday-pita pizza, mixed vegetables
Thursday-enchiladas, salad

mbmom11 said...

How can you remember what you cooked? This is hard!

Saturday : pasta, broccoli, some Italian sausage on the side. Cookies.
Sunday: Fried food galore - chicken strips and fries. Some vegetable. Homemade pound cake a little dry but whipped cream or chocolate syrup helped.
Monday - maybe stew? homemade bread. string beans. leftover pound cake. Banana muffins because the bananas had fallen from the top of the fridge onto the floor.
Tuesday : Maybe chicken? probably broccoli. Definitely cookies.
Wednesday: homemade mac and cheese, cauliflower, string beans, cookies.
Thursday: I was out of town so used gift cards for take out pizza for family. Finicky boy child actually ate a slice! Cookie bars for variety.
Friday: I was busy all day and so grilled cheese or chicken patty for kids, husband ate many leftovers in the fridge - including hot dogs, breakfast burrito kind of thing, salad to use up the lettuce. Brownies.
Yes, we have dessert every day. And we make chocolate chip cookies 3 times a week, if not more. Boring but tasty.

Pam said...

Friday: lentil bolognese sauce on pacchieri, broccoli
Saturday: pizza with red sauce, hot Italian sausage, mushrooms, yellow pepper
Sunday: chili mac, carrot sticks
Monday: chili mac, carrot sticks
Tuesday: tacos with sauteed chili mac for filling
Wednesday: cabbage sauteed with, leek, hot Italian sausage, carrots and mushrooms on crazy good rice
Thursday: leftover chili mac or cabbage mix on rice

Chili mac featured prominently in this week's meals because I made A LOT! of it on Sunday. The local churches here offer a free meal every Sunday evening and the 1st Sunday in Feb is my Sunday to organize the meal. I opted for chili mac as the main dish which I have never made before and never even tasted before but it sounded really good. Since I had never made it before I had no idea how much I needed to prepare to have about 40 meals and I always feel that having too much food is better than having too little. A friend and I made a couple of big batches of chili, mixed in some cooked elbow mac and shredded cheese. I think we could have feed 50-60 people with what was made. That coupled with the fact that there really old weather kept people from coming out to pick up meals meant that there was a lot left. We gave some to friends, I made my daughter take some and we finally finished it up on Friday. Phew! I'll made a little less next time.

Anonymous said...

That’s a lot of chili macM I was noticing that before I read your explanation! I have gotten a couple of “cooking for groups” cookbooks from the library or other sources to help me figure it out. It does depend on what and how many side dishes you have, of course, and who you are feeding, but, I agree- better too much than too little!

Kay said...

List of my menu and what we really ate ++.

Sunday: Cheeseburgers, FF, Beans
++Went to the town for Mexican. Mexican sampler plate and Chimichangas

Monday: Grilled Salmon, Rice, Mixed Veg, Biscuits
++ Cheeseburgers, FF, Baked Beans

Tuesday: Chef Salads,
++ Chicken Fajitas, Yellow Rice

Wednesday: Biscuits and Gravy, Smoothies

Thursday: Sheet pan Fajitas
** I was not feeling good, so Leftover Rice & OJ; Cereal & toast

Friday: Tator Tot Casserole, Veg
++ Date Night: Bacon Cheeseburger; Hot Beef Sandwich

Saturday; Soup, Grilled Cheese or Toast
++ Lunch: FastFood burgers
Dinner: Chips & nacho cheese

We ate a lot of Mexican this week. Tonight I tried to make Peach Ice Cream but my bowl was not frozen and it wouldn't set up. I put the mixture in the fridge and the bowl back in the freezer. We'll have that tomorrow. :D

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom: I cheat and add to the post every few days, so I don't have to remember the whole week at the end.

Kay: Hi! I was just wondering about you a little while ago, since I hadn't heard from you in some time.

Claire said...

Happy belated birthday Cubby!
Sunday we went to a fancy 2* French restaurant at lunch, and had mcdonalds take-out on the drive back home for dinner
Monday my mum came over for dinner, we had sausage in onion gravy with rice and carrot salad
Tuesday eggs baked in leeks and cream with bread and a cheese platter
Wednesday pizza
Thursday trout fillets, with beurre blanc sauce, herby rice and sauteed kalettes (a mix between brussel sprouts and kale - i definitely prefer kale)
Friday roasted duck legs and potatoes, a quick salad of leftover kalettes and diced kohlrabi
Saturday baked cheesy ravioli
Tonight I will try a chicken and dumplings with mushrooms recipe from Bon Appetit

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Claire: I had to laugh at the two-star French restaurant followed immediately by McDonalds.

Claire said...

@Kristin Haha I know ! after spending 5 hours eating at lunch followed by 3.5 hour drive back home under heavy snow I was just feeling too lazy to cook for dinner 😂