Sunday, February 13, 2022

Snapshots: Valentines and a Tea Party

If you know me at all, this picture will shock you:


If you even know what you're looking at, that is.

I always make the kids make their own Valentine's cards for their classmates, which most years are nothing but folded pieces of construction paper with "To:" and "From:" inside. My boys are NOT into making valentines, and I'm not willing to press the issue. We stick these bare-bones cards onto bags containing a crispy rice treat and call it good. 

However! 

Some sort of madness overtook me this year, and in an effort to make it more fun (for them, not me), I let them choose paper from a giant box of origami paper my sister gave Cubby (thanks, sis!) AND I carved a heart out of a potato and let them potato-stamp with paint. 

They were pretty wonky-looking hearts, to be honest, but the kids did find it fun. It took a lot longer than just writing names in the unadorned cards, though, and the reasons I dislike crafts with four children of various ages were again made clear, but it's done. 

My Christmas gift from A. this year was a blender, since I have not had a functioning blender in, uh, four years.

But not just any blender!


It's a PARTY BLENDER.

I mostly use blenders in the summer, so it sat in the box for awhile, waiting for a party. Finally I asked A. to get the ingredients for margaritas, because you know what makes this a party blender?


Pick your poison.

I laughed pretty hard when I saw the button labels up there, but I did dutifully use the "margarita" button, and it did make margaritas. It's been years since I've had a margarita--maybe as many years as I've had a non-functioning blender?--and they were delicious, but WOAH, I forgot how strong margaritas are.

The children had a much more temperate party of their own yesterday when Cubby asked me if he could make some cream tea. Poppy had been asking for a tea party, and I told her we needed to wait for her brothers to be home to make it an actual party. So when Cubby asked for tea on a snowy Saturday, I figured it was a sign.

Our tea parties are much more humble than the elegant affairs Grandma used to have for the children when we lived at Blackrock, a house with more than its share of tea cups, pots, saucers, sugar bowls, and cream jugs.  I don't have the room to store any of that stuff, and anyway, all the important elements were there, if not elegantly presented:



Food, cream, sugar, mugs, tea strainer, and tea in a pot (mostly white tea, with one black tea bag for flavor).

I was, of course, reminded by one of the children that Grandma used to make cookies or scones for tea parties. To which I responded that I would take away the apples, cheese, and spiced nuts if they deemed that inappropriate for their tea party. They elected to eat them. And they very much enjoyed their cream and sugar with token amounts of tea.

I don't have a new morning walk picture because, thanks to weekend activities involving teacher in-service and homecoming at school, I have not been taking a morning walk. But since it snowed Friday night, it looks just like this old picture I took a couple of weeks ago:


Sorry, dogs. Maybe next weekend.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

7 comments:

Gemma's person said...

We were just talking about "cream" tea this morning, as one does...
I wondered how much cream was in the tea or if it had any cream or just the cream for the eating part... scones or cakes. I do think jam is part of it and maybe butter.
Off to "bing" it...then no more guessing needed. Just hunger.

samcarter said...

My youngest and I have been reading The Hobbit together for his literature, and it only recently occurred to me that we should end our school day with a "teatime" while we read from the books (we each have our own copy--this makes it much more fun). His choice of drink for teatime is always hot milk and honey, with whipped cream and cinnamon on top.

Oh, and in England a 'cream tea' usually means tea with scones that are topped with Devonshire clotted cream and jam. So frickin' delicious. One of my literature professors once had all of us who were doing independent studies with her to a cream tea in her office. I probably made a pig of myself, those scones were so good!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Yeah, in our house "cream tea" is not what the English would refer to as "a cream tea," which I always understood to include the clotted cream. "Cream tea" for us just means black tea with cream and sugar. The name differentiates it from the other tea option, which is herb tea and honey.

Anonymous said...

Actually, I had to chuckle at the blender tabs. :)
Linda

mil said...

So, next time it's possible (i.e., when I have cream AND grandchildren AND strawberry jam), I will make clotted cream and we can have a British style cream tea. I've been wanting to make clotted cream, but have lacked inspiration. Now I've got it.

Anonymous said...

Actually... The fruit cheese and nuts ARE appropriate...my Gran who was Welsh and who is responsible for my life long mid afternoon tea addiction would serve al kinds of miscellaneous things with tea....including celery with a dish of salt to dip it in (yeah I don't know either but there you have it)...simple buttered toast was a regular occurance to and I recall apple and cheddar slices served with my cup of tea many times. To this day I take my afternoon cup with cream and sugar and whatever small simple snack I have around...it's all about taking a bit of a break and enjoying company or a quiet moment to reflect before getting on with the rest of your day.

BTW...The Valentine's are cute!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous: Thank you for sharing that. I'll tell my kids next time they complain. :-)