Tuesday, March 15, 2022

T.T.: Physics in the Kitchen

Not that I know much about physics. I never actually took that particular science, since I pretty much stalled out at chemistry.

But! I do know this: If you have a big pot of something you need to cool down quickly, a sink of cold water is your friend.

Perhaps you all knew this already. If you did, disregard. 

But if you didn't, and you find yourself with, say, gallons of pigs' foot chile that is still just below boiling point but needs to be stored overnight without cracking a glass shelf in your refrigerator or raising the temperature of said refrigerator . . .


Hot pot, cold water.

Okay, so that example is most definitely specific to me, but the big pot of something hot to be cooled down quickly isn't. And a sink of cold water is the best way to cool it quickly. Something about heat transfer. 

Like I said, hazy on the physics details. But I do know it works.

A couple of further points: Do not do this if you have a very hot glass or ceramic dish, as the hot dish in cold water might crack. 

And last, to cool even faster, stir the stuff in the pot in the sink every once in awhile ,and also stir around the water in the sink itself to distribute the cooler water so it will be in contact with the pot.

And there's your tip for the day. Onward with Tuesday.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Good tip...just make sure the pot isn't too hot and the water isn't too cold because metal can warp and crack, too. I think. Physics are a little hazy for me, too, and I did take the class.

Karen. said...

Yes! Most things are better than air for heat transfer, which is why most insulation is light and fluffy. Lots of air pockets hinder heat transfer.