Saturday, June 18, 2022

Friday Food: On a Saturday

This is the first time since I started Friday Food posts that I've missed a Friday. We left last Friday for Arizona to see family and have been traveling since then. We just got home today. So today is now Friday.

Friday

Short version: Meatloaf, dill potato salad, marshmallows and graham crackers

Long version: And we're off to Tucson! I knew we would be on the road this night, so I made the meatloaf and potato salad ahead of time. The great benefit of this meal is that it can be eaten either hot or cold. So if we were somewhere we couldn't have a fire, we would still be able to eat.

In the end, we actually camped indoors in the community center in the very small and mostly abandoned village of Hachita, NM. There was a kitchen area with a microwave, so whoever wanted to heat their food up could.


I got the only cot that was in there, with a camping pad AND the thickest sleeping bag, because I am a high-maintenance princess. Everyone else slept on the stage.

Saturday

Short version: Grilled chicken, rice, roasted vegetables, grilled corn on the cob, ice cream (in cones!)

Long version: We stayed with my parents on this trip, so this food was all cooked for us. Oh, the luxury. The kids were thrilled to have chicken, corn on the cob, AND ice cream. All dreams come true at the grandparents' house.

Sunday

Short version: Mexican restaurant food, popcorn and chocolate around the pool

Long version: We were out during the day with A.'s family, and we stopped on the way back to my parents' at a restaurant A. has been to over the years. It's a very bare-bones place in a strip mall on a very busy road, but it has really, really good Mexican food. Pretty cheap, too. The total for the six of us was $51. We had various combination plates with rice and beans that included a shrimp burrito, a beef burrito and taco, some kind of egg mixture, carne asada tacos, and chicken tacos. Yum. 

We had leftovers, too, which we brought back with us and the kids ate at night after swimming in my parents' pool for over two hours. That's also when my mom brought out a tray with the popcorn, seltzer, and mini chocolate bars.

Like I said, the grandparents' house is where all dreams come true.

Monday

Long version: Grilled pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, grilled corn on the cob, roasted zucchini, more ice cream and strawberry/apple crisp

Short version: More corn? More ice cream? AND a crisp?! These kids have never had it so good.

Tuesday

Short version: A fish feast, plus rice, green salad, and after-swimming cornbread

Long version: Because my mother knows at least one of my children really loves all sorts of fish, she provided baked mahi mahi, salmon, AND shrimp. 

The cornbread is how I bribed the children to get out of the pool at 7:45 p.m. They got to eat it up on my parents' roof-porch, which made it even more fun.

Wednesday

Short version: Grilled sausage, green beans, leftovers, after-swimming cheesecake

Long version: My mom made the sausage and green beans, and then there were leftover fish, pork, rice, and raw vegetables with dip. Everyone had a customized plate, and everyone was happy.

Are you seeing a theme of dessert after swimming? Yeah. That's because that was the easiest way to get my kids out of the pool and starting to get ready for bed. Bribery is an excellent parental tool.

Thursday

Short version: Pork carnitas con mi hermano, chocolate chip cookie bars

Long version: We left my parents this day and went up to Phoenix to stay with my brother and his family for a night before starting home. He fed us pork carnitas and his wife made cookie bars, and it was all delicious. I think Jack ate four burritos. 

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

9 comments:

sheila said...

No post on Fri had me worried. Glad tp read you were on vacation and had a wonderfull trip. The luxury of not having to cook must have been the highlight of the week for you!

JP2GiannaT said...

I was worried too.

Monday: leftover cooked mutton that was in the freezer cut up and cooked in the pressure cooker with beef broth and chickpeas to make a stew. Tossed in some veggies from the garden at the end and served it with tzatiki.

Tuesday: ate at my mom's. She made chicken in mushroom sauce over pasta and a salad.

Wednesday: spatchcocked and roasted a chicken, served with oven roasted potatoes and zucchini.

Thursday: Little Boy 's birthday party. Hot dogs, sausage, watermelon, chips, and three types of homemade pickles because I've gotten pickle happy this summer.

Friday: macaroni and cheese baked casserole with leftover hot dogs, zucchini, and tomatoes all chopped up and mixed in and topped with shredded cheese and crushed potato chips. Not healthy at all, but tasty.

Tonight we're celebrating Father's Day early and doing steak.

Andra said...

I have family in Tucson so now I am curious as to the name of the restaurant. :)
I have only been to AZ twice in the summer. We also swam in the evening!

Gemma's person said...

Worried here as well.....but gosh can it only be saturday. NO a WEEK since that saturday. No wonder I was worried. :)

mbmom11 said...

Fri- homemade Mac and cheese, vegetables, pineapple.
Sat- maybe fried rice?
Sun- grilled chicken, and I can't remember.
Mon- started getting extremely hot and sticky so hit the easy button and got Domino's. With gift cards so free as well!
Tues- pasta.Made by teen while the rest of us were at pool. Miserable heat wave.
Wed-teen made hamburgers while others were swimming. Chips and pineapple.
Thurs- still hot and gross out. Hot dogs and chips.
Fri- continued hot. Pancakes and bacon after swimming.
Tonight was random grilled meats, broccoli, and cereal.
I've hit the part of summer where I would rather just eat cereal every night. However, as husband and son are still building the garage, I need to make some effort. They can only work in the mornings ( the sun and humidity make the afternoon too awful, and they can take their time). But leftover chicken and pizza help fill their bellies at lunch, so I can choose easy some nights.
Not much baking with the heat- ice pops and store bought cookies mostly. I did do sour cream coffee cake, rice crisp treats, and some banana bread in the mornings. College daughter came for a visit with homemade macarons and then made Brazilian limeade. Having tall, helpful kids is awesome.
I'm glad your trip went well. Camping in a community center - no sleeping on gravel or pine needles? My kind of camping!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Andra: Poncho's, on Speedway.

Anonymous said...

And, I was worried too! Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

I was worried as well. Glad you had a safe trip.

takeout
grilled steaks, roasted potatoes, salad
turkey burgers, salad
spaghetti soup, sauteed zucchini & mushrooms
ditto
chicken taco salad, corn chips
grilled hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans

Glad you got a break from cooking!
Linda

Natalie J said...

Sun: Chicken strips and cut veggies, all served with ranch
Mon: Pasta salad. I'm trying to recreate one of our favorites from a local restaurant, but the recipe still needs a few tweaks
Tue: Hamburgers on the grill
Wed: Cold soba noodles with peanut sauce
Thur: Leftovers
Friday: Cookout at a friend's house
Saturday: Miso Salmon Taco Bowl, from a library cookbook. Super tasty!