Friday, June 10, 2022

Friday Food: Steak, Steak, Steak

Friday 

Short version: Leftover pork stir-fry

Long version: Nah. Have an asparagus forest photo instead.


The spears you buy at the store are the beginnings of the plant in the spring that you cut before they can form the fronds from those little triangular flaps on the spear. After the season for eating the immature spears is done, the plants are left to grow into this, then cut at ground level when they die down in the winter. The spears re-appear above ground again in the spring.

Saturday

Short version: Top sirloin steaks, fried bread, green salad with vinaigrette

Long version: I never seem to remember that top sirloin has no bones, and very little fat or gristle. Which means I really do not need two packages of them. LOTS left over. Not that leftover steak is a bad thing.

Being out of potatoes makes for some different starchy sides. I briefly considered making cornbread or something before punking out entirely and frying some slices of bread with butter on the griddle pan while the steaks were resting.

I mostly made a vinaigrette for the salad because I was cleaning out my cabinets and discovered a very old promotional container of French country vinaigrette spices. It was so dessicated, I had to gouge it out with a butter knife, but it did make a nice salad dressing with vinegar and olive oil.

Sunday

Short version: Italian-ish steak, bread and butter, raw snap peas, pots de creme

Long version: I knew that leftover steak would come in handy. I sliced it and warmed it in a skillet with about half a can of the commodities low-sodium spaghetti sauce (with salt added :-), plus a cube of frozen pesto, and then topped it with some shredded asadero cheese.

Snap peas from the garden, hooray!

Incidentally, although I proved pots de creme can be made with evaporated milk, I do still make it with whole milk when I can.

Monday

Short version: More leftover steak, tuna salad, bread and butter, instant mashed potatoes, raw snap peas and radishes

Short version: This time I just re-heated the steak in bacon fat on the stove. 

This is the first time I have ever made instant mashed potatoes. We got a big bag of them from someone, and I accidentally opened them thinking they were dry milk, so I've had a half-gallon jar of potato flakes in my pantry for a couple of months now. I made them according to the proportions on the bag, but they seemed really grainy, so I added lots more milk, plus a bunch of butter. 

Four of the six family members ate them, and A. noted the nostagia factor of eating something that brought him right back to his school cafeteria.

I remembered the taste too, although I could do without it. Not bad for an emergency side dish, though, I suppose.

Snap peas from the garden, radishes . . . not.


A pleasing color combination.

Tuesday

Short version: Steak fajitas, frozen peas

Long version: Finally, the last of the steak. This was an uncooked top sirloin that had been hanging around the refrigerator. I cut it into small pieces--real fajitas are in thin slices, but longer pieces are harder for my kids to eat--and marinated that with vinegar, salt, cumin, chile powder, and garlic powder for an hour or so before frying it with bell pepper slices from the freezer, and onion slices. 

I think fajitas are usually served in flour tortillas, but I was not in the mood for rolling out a bunch of flour tortillas, so everyone had to make do with storebought corn tortillas. They survived.

Wednesday

Short version: Pizzas, coleslaw

Long version: The stars aligned for pizza. The first and most important star was that I was making bread, so I could just steal some dough for the pizzas.

The second star was that I had a partial can of commodities spaghetti sauce in the refrigerator that needed to be used. Pizza sauce seemed like a good idea. (And no splashing sauce, because now I'm smart.)

The third star was that it was only in the 70s, so I could bake at high heat without wishing to douse myself with a fire extinguisher.

The fourth star was that I had most of a giant block of asadero cheese that really needed to be shredded and frozen already.

One pizza was just cheese, one was with bacon and cooked onion.

Coleslaw because I had six cabbages in the garden that needed to be harvested, and one had already split. That one went into the coleslaw. And then after I cut up the tiny bit of onion I needed for the coleslaw, the rest of the onion got cooked in the bacon grease for the bacon and onion pizza. 

So many stars! So much alignment! Such good pizza!

Thursday

Short version: Spanish tortillas, leftover coleslaw

Long version: We had a build-up of eggs again, but Spanish tortilla takes care of over a dozen of them. This one only had onion, bacon, potato, cheese, and eggs. I like them better with tomatoes, too, but the only tomatoes I had were green ones on my plants.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

12 comments:

ladybug said...

I'm always amazed at your creativity in cooking. I only wish I had that gift. If you have any sour cream around it can be stirred into the mashed potatoes. It gives them a creamier texture!

Anonymous said...

You can thicken soups with mashed potatoes flakes.

mbmom11 said...

This week was a series of underachieving dinners
Fri- leftover pulled pork, assorted.
Sat- went to pool late in the afternoon, so it needed to be easy. Toast, cereal, scrambled eggs, and tortilla and cheese were eaten by assorted kids.
Mon- grilled chicken, broccoli, pineapple, beyond burgers.
Tues- maybe leftovers. However vegetarian son made something that started off as curry and then veered into chili due to the ingredients in the fridge. Onions,peppers,black beans, cumin(which is a spiceI hate), assorted spices and misc things from fridge.
Wed- pool again so pancakes and bacon for an easy meal.
Thurs- grilled cheese and applesauce. We had a kids' library activity to go to, so I wanted easy.
I need to up my game tonight as my husband has started framing our new garage with college boys help. They deserve a decent meal. Maybe homemade Mac and cheese and some fresh string beans, cauliflower.

I did bake chocolate chip cookies, cookie bars, homemade brownies, box brownies, a chocolate cream pie, and cinnamon rolls. The weather was cool so I got busy. Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies today.

me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
me said...

You can use instant potato flakes in place of potato flour in bread.Potato bread is really tender and delicious.
For instant mashed potatoes, I use mostly milk- not water- and add lots of butter. Fluffing vigorously improves the taste.

Karen. said...

Grocery store potatoes at this time of year are absolutely the pits. We got some secondhand commodities potato flakes also, and now sometimes I even buy them for my mashed-potato-loving husband.

Seconding using milk. I use only milk and double the butter. Hopefully you utilized the microwave and a whisk. After mixing I just add more milk until the texture is appropriately non-paste.

My main problem is accurately judging quantity because you gotta have enough but, in my opinion, they are not fantastic left over.

Anonymous said...

takeout
grilled chicken breasts, salad, mixed vegetables
chicken divan over rice, salad
shrimp salad over toast. sauteed broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini
chicken/cheese quesadilla's, salad, strawberries
tuna melts, asparagus, roasted potatoes, strawberries
And for tonight fish tacos, asparagus, strawberries
Linda

Natalie J said...

Sunday: Dinner with neighbors
Monday: Baked potatoes. A local potato restaurant (sounds odd, I know) has a special with ham, broccoli, cheese, and honey mustard. We like it, and it's easy enough to recreate at home
Tuesday: A pork and leek recipe (We call it Leek'n Pork to amuse ourselves) that was previously cooked and frozen
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Chicken strips, carrots, and bell peppers, all served with ranch
Friday: Maybe pizza? I have a hankering
Saturday: Date night! We're going to see a play at 2, and go to dinner afterwards. Restaurant still undecided

I tried to find watermelon radishes when I placed my misfits order this week, but I think I might have missed radish season.

Gemma's person said...

Adding cheese to instant mashed potatoes is pretty good.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Monday - Winter melon soup, Dahl crackers and hummus.
Tuesday - Fettuccine with mushroom cream sauce, vinegared greens with manderines, raspberries and lots of croutons.
Wendsday - Friend gave us a whole sturgeon (he loves to fish but refuses to eat anything that swims as he puts it...strange boy...we get all of his catch which makes us happy so it's a win win I suppose....) so I baked it with spicy lime preserve, baked yams and potatoes to go with.
Thursday - Butternut squash and apple bake, sausage patties, bread.
Friday - Went to Costco and got hijacked by chicken ravioli in the fridge dept and by asparagus in the veg section...so garlic butter on everything with bread to mop up the juices....worth every penny.

Happy weekend everybody.

Oh...and if you happen to be making a Shepard's pie and find that despite hiding the container in the depths of your fridge you find you don't have any leftover mashed spuds anymore to top it with...with a teenage boy in the house this is a very likely event...those instant potatoes mixed with some Parmesan make a nice topping...saves your annoyance nerve from twitching to.
Just saying...been there.

Pam said...

Friday: traveling from Maine to Connecticut with the daughter for a baby shower so dinner was a Burger King fish sandwich at the rest area.
Saturday: pizza and beer at a local pub in CT
Sunday: back home and lots more wine cap mushrooms had been harvested by my husband so dinner was marinated and grilled mushroom caps, crazy good rice, veggie and white bean saute
Monday: same as Sunday and there are still lots of mushrooms left
Tuesday: chicken and black bean tacos, quesadillas
Wednesday: chicken legs in peanut sauce, cilantro-lime rice, cabbage slaw with an Asian dressing
Thursday: same as Wednesday

I'll second the comment about using the potato flakes for thickening soups and stews.
Pam in Maine

Kit said...

Friday-sour cream and bacon cabbage, baked potatoes
Saturday-chicken fried steak, rotini, broccoli, strawberry shortcake. The 7 year old had rotini and shortcake, sort of. She wanted the shortcake, whipped cream, and berries all separate.
Sunday-toad in the hole, salad. The 7 year old had toast and strawberries.
Monday-leftover turkey loaf in a tortilla with spaghetti sauce and cheese, salad
Tuesday-eggs and sausage, oven fried potatoes, peas
Wednesday-tuna sandwiches, salad
Thursday-leftover cube steaks re-heated, rice, coleslaw