Friday, August 26, 2022

Friday Food: So Much Fruit

Friday 

Short version: Pork chops, sauteed calabacita/tomato/green onion, snacks and vodka

Long version: This was one of two nights I was in Taos with my brother and sister. We had a late lunch at a Mexican diner when they arrived, so we cooked dinner at our rented condo pretty late. 

Because I am a peasant woman at heart, I travel with food. I had brought a bunch of garden vegetables with me, along with butter. So I sauteed diced calabacita in butter with some diced tomato, and green onion we had bought at the store. The pork chops also came from the store. My brother grilled those.

The snacks we had beforehand consisted of dilly beans I brought with me, plus tortilla chips and sharp cheddar cheese from the store. These accompanied vodka with lime and seltzer.

A very nice dinner, I must say.

The home crew had steaks and leftover spaghetti with tomato sauce.

Saturday

Short version: Tamales, sauteed green beans, peaches and cream, more snacks and vodka

Long version: Taos night #2, and another meal cooked at the condo. We had been walking around all day and were pretty worn out by the time we got back to the condo at 4 p.m. Luckily, we had purchased tamales and peaches at the farmers market in the morning, so it was an easy meal.

I steamed the tamales in a big skillet with a layer of knives and spoons on the bottom to hold the tamales out of the water.


Improvised tamale steamer.

The green beans came from my garden, and all I did with them was saute them in butter.

I also used the last of the tomatoes I brought with me, green onion, cumin I found in a cupboard, and a bit of the brine from the dilly beans to make a salsa for the tamales. What I really needed was some sour cream, because WOAH, those were some spicy tamales. As are all purchased tamales, in my experience.

The peaches were peeled, diced, sweetened with honey I found in the cupboard, and then doused in the heavy cream I had bought for coffee. The peaches could have used another day to fully ripen, but they were still good.

This night's snacks were pickled cucumbers I had made the day before by heating the brine from the dilly beans after all the beans were eaten and then adding the cucumber I had brought with me, sliced. My sister also made guacamole, which we ate with tortilla chips. And more vodka, lime, and selter.

I prepared most of this meal, and let me tell you how easy cooking for only three adults is. It was so much easier than my daily cooking, it didn't feel at all like a chore.

The home crew had man food. More on that momentarily, but first, a directional sign from a truck stop rest room on my way to Taos.


My sons were not amused. (I must admit I rolled my eyes at this, too.)

Sunday

Short version: Lasagna-ish skillet, strawberries and cream

Long version: While I was gone, A. discovered that almost two gallons of milk had soured. Loathe to waste that much milk, he looked up what to do with it, and ended up making two batches of ricotta with the sour milk and a bit of vinegar to separate it. 

You just never know what that man will do. I was very impressed.

The kids loved it and ate it plain, but he made a TON of ricotta. Like five cups. I used some in this meal.

A. made man food the day before, which consisted of ground beef, potatoes (from the garden, yay!), tomatoes, and rooster stock. The kids all liked it, and there was a LOT left over.

Using that as a base, I fried that in butter, then added some canned spaghetti sauce, garlic powder, frozen green peas, and the ricotta cheese A. had made. The end result was like lasagna, but without noodles. It was exceptionally good.

Strawberries were on sale for about the cheapest I'd ever seen at the store I stopped at before coming home. So I bought four pounds. We ate almost two pounds this night, sliced and covered in sugar and heavy cream. Yum.

Monday

Short version: Steak and mushrooms, rice, raw baby carrots, broccoli, watermelon

Long version: It is a tradition at our school that the history teacher grills steaks for every student and employee for lunch on the first day of school. There were about five steaks left over that the school cook had planned to use for something, but never did. 

Week-old cooked steaks can't be served at school, but I have no problem with it. I sliced them and fried them in butter with the mushrooms she also gave me.

The carrots and broccoli came from the school, too. They were left over from the salad bar last week.

The watermelon wasn't from school. It was from the first grocery store I went to in Taos with my brother and sister. I saw watermelons WITH SEEDS and could barely contain my excitement. These are the first real watermelons I've seen all summer, which is why we haven't had any watermelon yet this summer. 

It will probably be the only watermelon we have this year, so I'm very glad it was a good one.

Tuesday

Short version: Improvised pizza, leftover meat, green salad with vinaigrette, baked apples with cream

Long version: I spent most of the day harvesting tomatoes, green beans, and calabacitas in the garden, and then roasting tomatoes, green beans, and calabacitas in the kitchen.
 
The tomatoes, plus a couple of heads of garlic, basil, and balsamic vinegar, became roasted tomato sauce.

I was also making bread this day, so I used some of the dough to make pizza crust. Except I didn't have the pans I needed for stretching out the dough, because the pans had roasted vegetables on them. 

So instead, I just put a lump of dough on my smaller cookie sheet, roughly stretched it out, and then when it was baked, cut it in half longways to make two small pizza crusts. By that time, I had finished roasting the vegetables and could wash one of my big pans to put the crusts on.

I used the roasted tomato sauce for the pizza sauce, and A.'s ricotta cheese, some pre-shredded cheddar from the school cafeteria, and some shredded home cheddar for the cheese. One pizza had some finely diced ham that also came from the school cafeteria.

The lettuce and radishes in the salad were from the cafeteria, too. There really were a LOT of leftovers from the cafeteria last week.

Tomatoes and cucumbers from my garden, though.

And the apples for the baked apples were from the tree next to Rafael's house. A. and the kids picked them while I was gone. This variety doesn't break down enough to make applesauce, but it's okay for baked apple. Peeling and slicing that many small apples is definitely a labor of love, although baked apples are awfully good.

Wednesday

Short version: Taco meat, tortilla chips, watermelon

Long version: I used the rest of the ground beef man food, along with a bunch of sliced tomatoes left from the cafeteria, to make taco meat. I was out of tortillas, but I brought a bag of leftover tortilla chips home with me from Taos, so we used those to scoop up the meat.

And we finished the watermelon. I'm so happy that I found a real watermelon before the summer was over. I had pretty much given up for the year.

Thursday

Short version: T-bone steaks, leftover rice, leftover roasted calabaza and green beans, raw tomatoes, strawberries and cream

Long version: Did I go a little overboard buying fruit in Taos? Yes. Did anyone mind? No.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


7 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- domino's with gift cards.
Sat- stew meat, gravy, carrots, peas.
Sun- husband off taking college boy back, so leftovers. I had ordered extra pizza Fri, so some had that. ( The pizza had also been eaten for lunches, breakfast, and snacks over these days by assorted kids).
Mon- chicken strips, fries, broccoli, applesauce. I had taken out hamburger from freezer but it was still solid, so it was easy night.
Tues- I started work, so hamburger became Taco Tuesday. I had cheerios.
Wed- very tired after work, so grilled cheese, chips, applesauce, pineapple.
Thurs- grilled chicken, corn on the cob, pineapple, broccoli.
I did bake more this week before it got hot.
Cheese braid, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate swirl pound cake, turtle bars, coffee cake, banana bread.brownies from a box.
Enjoy the weekend!

Anonymous said...

The tris to Taos sounded like it was a lot of fun!!!

Saturday: Barbecue at the lake while my aunt and uncle were in town… Pork steaks, bratwurst, baked beans, pea salad, coleslaw, potatoe salad, and “the pink stuff”
My dad was in charge of the meat and I was in charge of the sides… He told me what sides he wanted and I made them. My mom passed away last year and sometimes he asks for food made with recipes that she used and this was one of those times. My aunt and uncle had fun trying to guess what the “secret” ingredients were.

Sunday: I hosted a dinner for my dad and aunt and uncle last night… We did spaghetti with homemade chicken meatballs, salad, and Bread

Monday: My dad, aunt, and uncle treated us to dinner out as a thank you for doing most of the cooking over the weekend.

Tuesday: Pizza and salad.

Wednesday: breakfast casserole and fruit. My son had chicken nuggets

Thursday: out to eat with my aunt and uncle on their last day here

-Andra

Anonymous said...

takeout
BLT's, peaches
ground beef/broccoli skillet, garlic bread
crockpot chicken/potatoes/carrots, salad, garlic bread
chicken quesadilla's, tortilla chips, salad
mini quiches, salad, garlic bread
And for tonight, salad with chicken on top, pita chips
Linda

Kit said...

Friday-egg salad sandwiches with tomatoes from the garden, peas
Saturday-salmon loaf, baked potatoes, corn on the cob
Sunday-chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, vanilla wafer pudding. The 7 year old had toast and cherries. And pudding.
Monday-chickenetti, peas. And the 7 year old scorned the peas but ate the chickenetti (chicken, white sauce, spaghetti)! That's a first.
Tuesday-we had in-laws for company, so chicken taco salad, vanilla ice cream with homemade strawberry jam
Wednesday-leftovers
Thursday-German green beans (sweet and sour, with bacon), rice

Gemma's person said...

You are so clever. ;)

mbmom11.......did you open your own bakery? :)

mbmom11 said...

No, though sometimes it seems like it! I grew up with a mom who baked everyday. And I have a house full of kids who love the carbs. This week, with college boy leaving I made one or two special things for him. And my HS freshman has had a very hard time with the start of school, so I'm trying to bake something special for breakfast to give him a good start to the day. I'm not a crafty or artistic mom, so cookies are my love language.

Pam said...

Friday - cheese, noshies at the local Artwalk and then potstickers from the freezer when we got home because we were still hungry. Also there was wine at the Artwalk and I didn't feel like doing a lot of food prep so pulling potstickers out was easy and delicious
Saturday - the house was cool enough to turn on the oven and make pizza. It was topped with sauteed kale, swiss chard from our garden, mushrooms, red pepper, andouille sausage
Sunday - baked tofu stir fry with bok choy from our garden, mushrooms, red pepper.
Monday - BLT's with our tomatoes and lettuce
Tuesday - beef and bean tacos
Wednesday - cheesy zucchini casserole, green bean and tomato salad
Thursday - leftovers from Wednesday

Kristen - your improvized pizza on Tuesday reminded me that I need to find the Finny's sauce recipe for a meal this week.

Pam in Maine