Tuesday, August 16, 2022

T.T.: A Modern Switchel Recipe

Cubby started football last week, so of course I bought him a case of Gatorade to bring with him to his three-hour practices.

. . .

If you believed that, you have not been reading here long enough.

I don't like the disposable plastic bottles or the ingredients in Gatorade. But there is no denying that it goes down easy for boys who have been running around a football field in the sun for over three hours. They can't drink too much cold water without getting cramps.

So what to do?

Grandma Post knew!

Grandma Post was the MiL's mother. She was the daughter, wife, and mother of farmers, all of whom spent many, many hours haying in punishing upstate New York heat and humidity every summer. She knew how to keep them hydrated. And how she did it was switchel.

My first experience of switchel was at her house in the summer. She had some in her refrigerator for her son who was running the farm. Switchel is the traditional drink for summer hydration because it can be consumed in larger quantities than plain water. 

The primary reason for that is that it has ginger in it. That's what allows a person who is exerting himself to drink it without getting cramps, as he would with plain water.

The traditional ingredients for switchel are water, vinegar, ginger, a bit of lemon juice, and a sweetener like maple syrup or honey*.

 I made traditional switchel for Cubby last football season, and he really didn't like the vinegar in it. 

He never would have made in on a haying crew.

I suspect the vinegar was mostly a lemon juice stand-in for farmers who didn't have access to fresh lemons, anyway, so now I just use all lemon juice. Not from fresh lemons, though, because I also don't have regular access to fresh lemons. Also, you would have to squeeze a LOT of lemons. The bottled stuff is fine.


All of my switchel ingredients come in bottles actually, but if you have fresh ginger and lemons, knock yourself out.

The resulting drink is pretty much like a slightly gingery lemonade. Very palatable for those of us not raised on traditional switchel, and just as refreshing.

So if you, too, have a child sweating their life away on a field somewhere (or it you yourself are the sweater), give switchel a try. No plastic bottle, no food dye, no strange ingredients. Perfect.

Modern Switchel

Ingredients

1/2 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup maple syrup or honey (if using honey, you'll probably need less, but I haven't tried it)

1 teaspoon powdered ginger

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 quart water (warm if using honey, to dissolve it better)

Method

Add all ingredients to a quart-size canning jar and shake it all up. Either keep the jar cold in the refrigerator, or pour the switchel into a big water bottle filled with ice to take to the football or hay field. Cubby has a 32-ounce insulated water bottle that I fill with ice in the morning before adding the quart of switchel to it, and it's still icy for afternoon practice. 

Although I measured so I could write out a recipe for you, it will probably not surprise you that I don't actually measure anything when I make it myself. I just go by taste. As should you. Start with the measurements if you want, but add more or less sweetener, more or less ginger. You can even try some apple cider vinegar in place of some of the lemon juice if you want it more traditional.


Salud!

* Molasses is also traditional, but the one time I made it with molasses, A. was absolutely horrified and actually spit it out. So I guess it wasn't traditional for his family. Molasses does have a very strong flavor, so unless you're a fan of molasses already, I wouldn't recommend it.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forgot about this recipe. I saw this somewhere on another blog a long time ago & have made it in the past. I think it's pretty tasty. It might have been called haymakers drink or something like that.
Linda

mbmom11 said...

In the Little House on the prairie books, I think they made something similar for Pa to drink in the fields. It's interesting that something so old fashioned really works. And in a much more natural color than Gatorade.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Linda: It's also called haymaker's punch.

mbmom11: Yes, in "The Long Winter" Ma sends "ginger water" to the hay field with Laura and Pa. I actually remember trying to make ginger water after reading that when I was about 10 years old, but as it was pre-Internet and there was no actual recipe in the book, I just put powdered ginger in water, and it was just as gross as it sounds. This is much better. :-)

Karen. said...

Also a pretty good remedy for sore throat or general cold symptoms.

JP2GiannaT said...

There's a Little House cookbook out there that has a recipe for it. It looks pretty much like this one.

JP2GiannaT said...

We keep powdered Gatorade or electrolyte solution in the house for when people get sick. I'm saving this recipe though: I generally prefer homemade stuff is possible.

JP2GiannaT said...

https://www.christianbook.com/the-little-house-cookbook/barbara-walker/9780064460903/pd/60908?en=bing-pla&event=SHOP&kw=crafts-and-recreation-0-20%7C60908&p=1179517&dv=m&msclkid=12871b7c8b8e1a0c9139798766b2c519&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20Main&utm_term=4580702881405449&utm_content=s-all%20products

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. I had to go through colonoscopy prep recently and the switchel really helped me get through the clear liquids day. Much appreciated!

Tina