Tuesday, August 30, 2022

T.T.: Roasted Tomato Sauce

For years and years, I made and loved Finny's tomato sauce. She called it The Best Tomato Sauce Ever, and it is. If you ever get a chance to make it just the way she does, you should.

But I don't make it the way she does anymore. There are a couple of minor changes I made so as not to use aluminum foil, but mostly it's different because I don't typically have red wine in the house, and I can't easily get it, either. So when I'm slammed by the tomato harvest that needs to be roasted and frozen pronto, and the nearest red wine is 60 miles away, this is what I do. 

First, I use Romas from my garden. They make the best sauce, because they have much more pulp and much less liquid in them than a slicing tomato. You can use slicing tomatoes, but they will take longer in the oven and yield less.

I cut off the stem end and then slice them longways, laying them on my half-sheet pans as I go until I've filled both pans with a single layer of tomatoes. I do not line my pan with foil or parchment paper, because I would rather scrub a pan than throw something away, but it is easier if they're lined.

After the pans are full, I mound all the tomatoes up in the middle of the pans and douse them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mixmixmix until everything is all coated, then spread them back out in a single layer.

Any recipe that tells me to toss vegetables and oil in a bowl before putting them on a roasting pan is immediately suspect. I do not want to wash an extra bowl for no reason. 

I also put a whole head of garlic right on each pan with the tomatoes. Again, I do not wrap it in foil because I don't want to have to throw the foil away. All I do is wash and rub off the dirt from the outside of the head, but if your garlic is from the store, it will already be clean.


Ready for the oven.

The pans go in a 400-degree oven for about 45 minutes. I scrape and stir the tomatoes around a few times. When they're done, there will be very little liquid in the pan and some char.


I scrape the tomatoes up into a pile while they're still hot, mostly avoiding the black spots but trying to get all the jammy spots of tomato.

After the pans are out of the oven, I let them sit for awhile so they're not burning hot. It's much easier to handle the pans and the tomatoes when they won't burn you on contact.

When they're cooled a bit, I dump the tomatoes into the food processor and scrape the olive oil in there, too. Because the garlic wasn't wrapped, it doesn't squish out of the skins. I can just pull the skins open and pull out the garlic cloves whole. Those go into the food processor, too, along with a handful of fresh basil leaves.

Here is where we come to the biggest difference: The wine. If I had red wine, I would certainly use it, because this sauce is best with it. But it's almost as good with balsamic vinegar, so that's what I use. About two teaspoons.

After everything is in there, it just needs to be pureed, checked to see if it needs more salt or vinegar, and that's it.


Yum.

It makes a very thick, flavorful sauce, and it freezes perfectly in zip-top bags.


With very abbreviated labels.

What really makes this good is the method. The roasting concentrates the flavors and adds some caramelization that doesn't occur on the stovetop. All that garlic is key, too. 

It's best with wine, but the balsamic version is also delicious. I have even made it with cans of whole tomatoes--removed from the juice--dried basil, garlic, and the vinegar, and it's still good.

So even if you can't make it exactly like the original recipe, at least try roasting the tomatoes and garlic and see how you like it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing...the moment those were about done I'd be boiling water for pasta...and the moment those tomatoes were out of the oven they would be on my plate with buttered noodles and some salt and pepper.

They'd never become sauce with me around....in my world that pan of awesomeness is dinner.

But then my world rolls that way.

Happy Tuesday!

Karen. said...

Roasted tomatoes are the best ever.

Here's something that seems totally unlikely, but is totally true.

Even though you're using all that oil already, a skim coat of vegetable oil on your baking sheet before you put anything else on will make it about 90 percent easier to clean the pan.

Same with baking bacon. All that grease, but a little vegetable oil makes better cleanup.

Wipe on with fingertips, or, if you're like me and accidentally fell in love with aerosol cans of baking spray oil, then that is quick and easy.

JP2GiannaT said...

Can you can it?

Kristin @ Going Country said...

JP2: I did one year many years ago, but I can't remember if I pressure-canned it. Presumably that's what Ball would say to do, what with the garlic and all. I just freeze it now, though. it takes up very little space when the bags are frozen flat.

Natalie J said...

Thanks for the recipe, this sounds delicious!

Becky said...

I gave it try today with my Early Girls. They worked out just fine. I only did one pan and put a head of garlic on it as directed. When I got to the processing part, I thought that was an awful lot of garlic for that amount of reduced tomatoes, so I only put in 1/2 the cloves, whirled, tasted--and put in the rest. When I was picking tomatoes this morning, I was thinking that next year maybe I'd put in fewer plants; now I'm thinking maybe more :-)

Daisy said...

With a little lemon juice in each jar, this could be suitable for canning. Couldn't it?