Friday, September 2, 2022

Friday Food: An Unusual Beginning

Friday 

Short version: Gas station food and snacks

Long version: We went to Cubby's football game a couple of hours away in the afternoon. 


Nice day for some 6-man football.

I had brought a bunch of snacks--cheese, summer sausage, carrot sticks, pistachios, animal crackers, graham crackers--and that all got eaten on the ride there and during the game. So when the game was over at 4:30 p.m., we decided to stop on the way home to get dinner. We didn't drive through any big towns to get there, though, so our options were pretty limited. Our first and closest choice was closed, unfortunately, which led us to the Allsup's gas station.

Allsup's is a somewhat famous convenience store around here. They sell hot food along with standard gas station snack things. So the kids all got either chimichangas or grilled chicken sandwiches, plus chocolate milk.

There were no tables at this gas station, so they ate on the curb, watching the trucks go by.


Fine dining, indeed.

A. finished what the kids didn't eat, and I had some leftover pot roast when we got home.

Saturday

Short version: Leftover chicken nuggets, posole, rice, cucumber and tomato salad, Otter Pops

Long version: The school cook sent me home with a gallon-sized bag of chicken nuggets the previous Wednesday, which I froze. We had our monthly Saturday Mass this day and didn't get home until almost 5:30, so I decided to use the nuggets. 

I re-heated them by frying them in cast-iron skillets of butter, which I suppose improved them, but I think I probably could have thrown them on the kids' plates stone-cold and they still would have been excited about eating chicken nuggets.

I did not share their excitement. I had fried eggs with salsa and half an avocado.

A. had some of his venison and tripe posole from the freezer. There were three half-gallon containers in there, so I figured I'd better start using some of it.

The Otter Pops were from the county fair parade. People on the floats just give our kids handfuls of them, and I throw whichever ones aren't already leaking into the freezer for some other time. This was the time.

Sunday

Short version: Italian steak, spaghetti with roasted tomato sauce, roasted calabacita, carrot sticks, pots de creme

Long version: I used the tenderized bottom round steaks and cooked them like Swiss steak, except I added oregano and a bunch of fresh parsley to the tomato sauce. I only have the parsley because A. started a bunch of seeds, thinking they wouldn't do very well, but they really did. So now I have a LOT of parsley to thin out.

It was really good tomato sauce. Must've been the parsley.


And good tomatoes, of course.

Monday

Short version: Pork stir-fry, rice, cantaloupe

Long version: I had been planning on frying some of the commodities pork after work, but then the school cook gave me about a pound and a half of leftover pork from the cafeteria. It was fairly dry, and didn't have any sauce on it, so I decided to use it for stir-fry.

I used one bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables, and added to that some cooked mushrooms I had in the refrigerator, plus some frozen peas. And the same sauce I always make, which is just soy sauce, vinegar, powdered ginger, and peanut butter.

The cantaloupe came from the commodities lady. It didn't look too promising, but it turned out to be surprisingly good. I mean, if you like cantaloupe. I don't, but other members of the family do.

Tuesday

Short version: Bunless cheeseburgers, fried onions, boiled potato chunks, sauteed or raw green beans

Long version: It had been awhile since I had made cheeseburgers, and I was bummed to see that we don't have very much ground beef left. Need another cow, I guess.

The school cook had given me some leftover American cheese slices, which I used for these cheeseburgers. A. was particularly happy with this. A nostalgic taste, I guess.

Wednesday

Short version: Quesadillas, posole, raw green beans

Long version: I had made taco meat with some of the ground beef the day before, along with half a can of black beans. And someone had left a package of flour tortillas on the counter at school for the taking. So I took them and used them to make quesadillas with the meat and some cheese.

A. finished his posole from the freezer. And I had some of the taco meat with cooked green beans.

Thursday

Short version: Fried rice

Long version: I really needed to make some space in my refrigerator, which means using up leftovers. Therefore, leftover rice, leftover pork stir-fry, and a couple of eggs to make fried rice.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

9 comments:

mbmom11 said...

I've had a week of low expectations, so everyone else will shine compared to me!
Fri- leftovers: chicken, broccoli, pineapple, but made it exciting by cooking bacon to add something new.
Sat- pasta , Italian sausage, broccoli cooked by husband while I took kids swimming.
Sun- hamburgers, chips, applesauce. Probably hotdogs for the kids who don't like burgers.
Mon- getting hot again, so leftover stew from freezer, broccoli, instant mashed potatoes .
Tues- tacos , tortilla and cheese for kids who don't like taco meat. I had cheerios.
Wed- after a visit to urgent care for child and a soccer parent meeting, I was wiped out. So free night-Leftovers and rummage through the cupboards. I had an ice cream bar.
Thurs- boy birthday- he wanted homemade pizza but it was still really hot. So gift card and Domino's to the rescue. I also bought orange soda and Fresca to make the meal special.
I did bake a little- cookies, cheese bread, cinnamon rolls, birthday cake (made the night before once the sun went down and it cooled off. Frosted the next day). Boy made homemade brownies to bring to school for class treat.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Saturday - Sausages fried with onions and peppers, French bread.

Sunday - Went to Red Robin and had a bacon cheeseburger with onion rings...it was good but wow was it spendy, hence the reason why we don't eat out very much.

Monday - I can never finish a whole Red Robin burger in one sitting so I finished the other half and had some watermelon...huzbeast had a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich, he also helped me eat the watermelon of course.

Tuesday - Ham steak, roasted carrots and potatoes, bread.

Wendsday - Had leftover ham, onions and peppers so we made an omelet to split between us which we ate with toast and banana slices.

Thursday - Garbanzo bean "chili" topped with avacado, toasted tortillas to go with.

Friday - I think I'll make some tacos...enough to eat on through the weekend so I don't have to cook..cook once, eat thrice...sounds good to me!

Happy weekend everyone!

Karen. said...

Two things:
1. "somewhat famous", lol. Indeed. Very strong regional brand with some fun-to-read competitive history that would make a great podcast episode.
2. We are also low on ground beef. I think I'm down to the last 25 pounds or so. But, we have a bunch of boneless chuck roasts (TL;DNwrite, it was a locker problem) that I might take to get ground.

Anonymous said...

takeout
grilled pork chops, pasta salad, salad
chicken/noodle/vegetables in crockpot, salad
beef stew in crockpot, salad
stuffed shells, chow-chow, tomatoes
fish tacos, more chow-chow, tomatoes
And for tonight skillet zucchini pizza, garlic knots
Linda

Natalie J said...

My husband made burgers a while ago with American cheese. He really liked it, but I missed cheddar.

As far as the theme this week, just imagine Ross in your head yelling “Pivot!”

Sunday: We were supposed to have grilled chicken and slaw, but my husband wasn’t feeling well (he’s the grill guy), so we pivoted to tacos (which were supposed to be on Thursday)
Monday: We were going to make Sunday’s grilled chicken, but realized the chicken was still frozen….so we made Italian chicken in the crock pot (pulled from the plan for a different night – are you sensing a theme here?)
Tuesday: Grilled chicken actually happened, it was thawed and everything. Plus the slaw was already made, so it had to be served eventually haha
Wednesday: Mac and cheese (toddler’s request)
Thursday: Leftovers, and a giant Armenian cucumber from a coworkers garden. My daughter started munching on it on our way home from the sitters, it was as long as her arm!
Friday: Cupbop for date night
Saturday: Cleaning out the fridge

Kit said...

Friday-chicken taco salad. The 7 year old had sour cream and chips.
Saturday-blts, corn, watermelon. The 7 year old skipped the lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo, and had bacon on toast. Also I made a great easy dessert I found in an old cookbook: butter, brown sugar, crushed cornflakes, and coconut as a sort of crust for vanilla ice cream. Even the 7 ate it.
Sunday-leftover chicken, tossed salad, corn
Monday-tuna, green beans, tomatoes, biscuits
Tuesday-roast beef and cheese sandwiches (it was hot again), corn
Wednesday-salmon, baked potatoes, green beans
Thursday-hot German green beans, rice

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Natalie: Yes, the Armenian cucumbers! My new favorite. Not bitter even when as long as your arm.

Kit: Honestly, I kind of wish I could eat like your 7-year-old. Sour cream and chips sounds pretty good to me. Also bacon on toast.

Anonymous said...

Saturday: bratwurst, baked beans, grapes, and orange watermelon

Sunday: I roasted peppers, heated up some black beans, and mixed up a taco seasoning blend and cooked some ground chicken and added tomatoes… The kids asked for quesadillas with the ingredients and I did a fajita bowl

Monday: Fish, rice, green beans, cauliflower rice for me (not even close to being a good substitute for rice)

Tuesday: I cannot remember

Wednesday: Pizza for kids and salad for me. My daughter had an appointment and then wanted me to go to meet the teacher and we had less than an hour between evens so I hit the easy button

Thursday: umm… My 4 year son had his first soccer practice. So, I fed him chicken nuggets and fruit before we left and then he had yogurt and a hotdog when we got back. My 12 year old daughter was told to fend for herself and I think she had a breakfast burrito and fruit before going out with friends after she finished homework… I ate a salad once I got everybody to bed.

Friday: I made chicken and dumplings in the crockpot for my daughter and husband… My Four-year-old is very picky and refused to eat it so he had chicken nuggets and fruit, and I finished off the fajita mixture and black beans from earlier in the week

Pam said...

Friday - can't remember
Saturday - pizzas One was topped with sauteed greens and leek, andouille sausage and red pepper. The second had sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella and basil
Sunday - grilled sausage, grilled zucchini, tomato cucumber salad
Monday - BLT's
Tuesday - zucchini tacos, another successful test of the hypothesis that anything can be taco filling with enough of the proper seasoning
Wednesday - can't remember Geez, that's 2 days this week
Thursday - fish tacos and beer at the local brewpub/food truck

I haven't made Finny's sauce yet but I did get a bottle of red wine. Of course if I drink a glass of it every day, it's not going to last very long