Sunday, September 18, 2022

Snapshots: Fruit and an Owl

Last week was a whole lotta fruit processing.


Two and half gallons of apple/pear sauce.


Peach/pear fruit leather, phase one.


I did all of this canning in one day. One long, completely exhausting day. (16 pints peach jam, 7 quarts applesauce, 7 quarts peach halves in syrup, and a half-gallon jar of extra peaches in syrup that didn't go into the canner because my canner only fits a maximum of 7 quarts.)

Poppy made an owl mask at school, and supplemented it with wings when she got home.


I was, of course, reminded of Cubby's infamous Owl Game. Man, that was a long time ago.

I haven't had any sunrise photos lately because I haven't been taking morning walks lately. A combination of my wonky ankle, school mornings, and later sunrises all mean that I got out of the habit. But here's a sunset photo.


Night falls on the high plains.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

3 comments:

Kit said...

I know you don't wear that kind of hat and I don't either (does anyone, any more?), and never mind about our consciences. But here's a quote from Irma Rombauer in a 1931 edition of The Joy of Cooking: "It is a thrill to possess shelves well stocked with home-canned food. In fact, you will find their inspection (often surreptitious), and the pleasure of serving the fruits of your labors, comparable only to a clear conscience or a very becoming hat."

If not exactly thrilled, you deserve to be well satisfied!

Daisy said...

You're ahead of me in the cider making game! We made pear cider a few weeks ago, thanks to a good friend with prolific pear trees. My best source for (free) apples isn't ripe yet, so it'll be at least two weeks before we get to apple cider.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Kit: I do get a kind of thrill from all the finished jars. Although I wish I still had the big shelving unit like we had in the cellar at our old house so I could line them all up for proper appreciation. It's hard to get that thrill when they're all over the place, behind cupboard doors. :-)