Sunday, September 25, 2022

Snapshots: An Old-Fashioned Tally

Years ago, when we still lived at Blackrock with its huge garden and I had more time, I used to can a lot. And when the canning season was done, I used to post the tally of all the things I had preserved, along with photos of the shelves full of jars.

It was fun. For me, anyway.

This year, for the first time in many years, I have had both the time and the produce to can again. So I thought it was time to revive the traditional end-of-season tally. It's still not as much as I used to do, but it's really quite a bit when considered all together.

I will probably be adding to this a bit, as I'm still processing tomatoes. But I organized and moved all the full jars into A.'s office, so while they were in transit, I took a photo of them all. 

Here we go . . .

Frozen 

4 gallon bags of peeled and sliced peaches

3 gallon bags of unpeeled peach halves

1 gallon bag of pesto cubes

1 gallon bag of green beans

7 quart bags of shredded calabacita

7 quart bags of roasted tomato sauce

Canned

18 quarts peaches in syrup

7 quarts applesauce

5.5 quarts dilly beans (pickled green beans)

10 pints apricot jam

5.5 pints peach jam (I made a lot more than this, but most of it went to the guy who gave us the peaches)

7 pints tomato puree

8.5 pints sauerkraut

4 pints pickled beets

And now for the photo!


Fruit to the left, vegetables to the right. A total of 64 jars*.

There you have it! My canning season, snapshotted.

* If you actually count the jars in this photo, there are 63. That's because one of the jars of peaches already got eaten. They go fast.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive! :)
Linda

Mei said...

I miss dilly beans. The only green beans I can find in Japan come in a can from the commissary shelf.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mei: Dilly beans are incredibly good, but am I right that Japan has a long tradition of pickled vegetables? Probably not with dill, but I bet there are lots of other good pickled options there.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mei: Or you could try making your own refrigerator dill pickles with cucumbers. You can make it with dried dill weed. It's really easy. Equal parts white vinegar and water with salt, heated, poured over cucumber spears in a jar with dried dill weed and a clove of smashed garlic.

Mei said...

The Japanese pickle practically everything they see. It is the green beans that are rare to find. Fortunately, there are enough varieties of pickled things, including watermelon and fish, that I go without something tart to eat. It is only that green beans are like potato chips. I cab just grab a jar, open it and eat them without requiring a bowl. lol

Karen. said...

Apricot jam is a gift from the gods.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen.: It really is the best jam.

Kit said...

It's a lot of work but it's worth it.