Sunday, October 9, 2022

Snapshots: About that Schoolhouse

Many weeks ago, more than one person asked me about the schoolhouse that I sometimes show in my snapshots. And . . . I never answered.

Mea culpa.

Since I appear to have zero photos to share from this week--I guess my life gets less photo-worthy as the school year goes on--I thought I should get back to that interest in the schoolhouse. So here we go!

This is the schoolhouse. 


Bathed in the lovely light of an early morn. Back when there was still light in the early morn.

As you will have guessed, being the highly intelligent people that you are, it is the old school in our ghost village. It's about a hundred yards from us, down one of the village lanes.

It's a very nice two-story brick structure. I don't know the exact year it was built, but I think around the turn of the twentieth century. Several of our neighbors and acquaintances attended this school. It closed in the mid-1950s, and the students from it began attending one of the other schools in the county, which are ten miles in opposite directions from this school.

Unfortunately, the building was purchased by some guy about twenty years ago who started to tear it down and then stopped. So now it's partially dismantled and falling apart. Literally. The kids heard one of the chimneys collapse a couple of months ago. So it's obviously not safe to be in there, and it's really a shame that it wasn't left intact.

The old gym right next to it, however, is intact, and is a beautifully built stone structure. 

That will be the next building on the tour of our mostly-abandoned village. But probably not soon, given my track record.

5 comments:

Gemma's person said...

Hmmmm, maybe the guy is willing to donate and you guys could rework the gym for family living quarters.

Anonymous said...

It is a shame that the old building is literally falling down now. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of the gym!
-Andra

Gemma's person said...

Why do I think you plan on living there forever? I see all of you and their wives/husbands/children all living there making your own little family compound.
That is just me being me.......:).
Now, quit laughing. hee hee

mbmom11 said...

Old schools are so solid and beautiful. We have some in my town that were closed ages ago - the 1950's efficiency to build modern buildings with no character - and a few have been remade. One is a senior citizens apartment building - really well done. Another was bought and then abandoned. So it decays slowly. I think people forget about modern requirements when dreaming about renovating 100 yr old buildings.
The school is gorgeous -It's a pity the owner isn't taking care of it.

Mei said...

I love old school buildings. We have one that was allowed to almost fall down but the community stepped in to prevent that. Now it is a beautiful sight to see.