Friday, October 7, 2022

Friday Food: Work and Enchiladas

Friday 

Short version: Breakfast tacos, tomato salad, Otter Pops or root beer

Long version: A. took Cubby hunting for elk, which meant an easy dinner for the three kids left at home with me. Cubby is the only one who doesn't like breakfast tacos, so I thought that was a good idea. It's just scrambled eggs in corn tortillas microwaved with cheese, and salsa.

I made the tomato salad because I had half a tomato left from making BLTs for lunch, plus another tomato I had harvested that had a hole in it that was drawing fruit flies. So I just diced those, sprinkled on some onion powder, and added some vinaigrette I had already made.

My parents had left some soda with us when they left, and only one can of root beer was left. So I let the kids choose if they would rather have soda or an Otter Pop (left over from the county parade) after dinner. Two chose the root beer, so they split that, and one had an Otter Pop.


Have an Odin picture, just for fun.

Saturday

Short version: Cheater's pizza, raw green beans, sauteed calabacita/tomatoes/beet greens with chicken sausage

Long version: We got a bag of something labeled "hoagie rolls" from the excess commodities. They were smallish, oblong white-flour rolls. I had a pan of tomatoes in the oven reducing for canning, so I used some of those to make pizza sauce by blending the tomatoes with basil, parsley, and roasted garlic, using my immersion blender.

I cut the rolls in half lengthwise, poured some olive oil on them, and baked them at high heat until they were crisp. Then I spread on the pizza sauce and grated mozzarella from the block we also got from excess commodities this week.

Not as good as my pizza, but not bad.

I still had a few of the unpopular commodities chicken sausages left. I was sauteeing some calabacitas anyway, so I added to that the greens from the two beets I had harvested and roasted along with the tomatoes, some of the pizza sauce, and the chicken sausage diced fine. I sauteed all of that until it was a bit browned, then added some of the extra mozzarella. It was pretty good. Definitely better than eating that sausage on its own.

Sunday

Short version: Beef, mashed potatoes, green salad with ranch dressing, St. Michael cake with whipped cream, late-night peaches and cream

Long version: I took out a package of stir-fry beef, but I didn't stir-fry it. Instead I cut it into smaller pieces, browned it in bacon grease, added sauteed onion and garlic, then a quart of beef stock, and simmered it until the meat was tender and most of the liquid was gone. To that I added a bit of mustard, a lot of fresh dill, and some sour cream.

Fresh dill and garlic in the ranch dressing, too. I'm very pleased that some of the dill plants re-seeded in time for another round of dill before the freeze.

The cake was Grandma Bishop's chocolate cake. We traditionally have this on the feast day of St. Michael, and the kids get to stab the cake with toothpicks. It's supposed to be a devil's food cake, because St. Michael defeated Satan and threw him from heaven. The feast day was Thursday, but I forgot, so we were a few days late. I don't think St. Michael will mind too much. The kids didn't. They always enjoy stabbing their cake. And eating it, too.

A. and Cubby returned from their hunt at 8 p.m. (minus an elk), just as the other kids were getting into bed. Of course, dinner had to be provided to the hunters. There was plenty of mashed potatoes and meat left. Since A. doesn't eat cake, I gave him some canned peaches with the whipped cream. And then I gave some peaches to the other three kids while Cubby was eating his cake, because it seemed kind of mean to have them sit there watching him eat his cake while they had nothing.

Monday

Short version: Breakfast tacos, posole, leftovers, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: A cobbled-together after-work meal. The younger kids had the scambled egg breakfast tacos. A. had yet more posole from the never-ending containers in the freezer. Cubby had leftover beef and mashed potatoes when he got home from football practice. 

And all the kids got to have leftover chocolate cake. No more whipped cream, though. Things get pretty barebones on work days.

Tuesday 

Short version: Chicken with curried split peas, rice, raw tomatoes

Long version: I had some chicken still in the freezer from the last rooster we had, so I took that out to thaw while I was at work subbing for the other teacher's aide. When I got home, I just heated the chicken in with the rest of the curried split peas and made some rice.

Wednesday

Short version: Tuna quesadillas, posole, raw green beans

Long version: Third day in a row of work, and my options for leftovers were pretty limited. A. had the last of his posole (not the last in the freezer--just the last of the container I had taken out) and I made some tuna salad. I didn't have any bread, though, so I made some quesadillas with it instead, with just corn tortillas, cheese, and the tuna salad.

This is actually surprisingly good. Like a tuna melt. It's much more appealing on a chilly, rainy night like this one than a pile of cold tuna salad.

Thursday

Short version: Bull enchiladas, arroz de leche

Long version: A. had mentioned that he thought the processed bull meat would be good in enchiladas.  I didn't have enchilada sauce, so I made some with tomatoes, onion, garlic, green chile puree, cumin, and red chile powder. I didn't have enough, though, so I also used the last bit of roasted tomato and garlic sauce in the refrigerator. The basil in it was undetectable at the end.

And then I still didn't have enough sauce for the top, so I used some pureed salsa.

Making enchiladas with corn tortillas is a pain, because you have to fry each individual tortilla in oil so they don't just dissolve into mush when they're baked in sauce. And then the tortillas are dipped in the sauce before being rolled, so your fingers are just a mess the whole time.


It makes a mess of the kitchen, too.

They are good, though. And A. was right: It was a good use for the bull meat. 


I need more sauce next time, though.

I made arroz con leche because I had four cups of milk that the kids informed me was starting to go off. I didn't want to spend the four hours to make our usual baked rice pudding, so I just made a stovetop version with condensed milk and cinnamon.

It was quicker, but I didn't like the method as much. My stove doesn't cook very low, which was probably most of the problem, because I couldn't get the rice cooked all the way without it sticking to the bottom of the pot. And I didn't want to add a bunch more water. It could have been softer, but it was okay. Tasted pretty good, anyway.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

10 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- hamburgers, hot dogs, leftover chicken strips, beyond burgers, fries, broccoli, pineapple.
Sat- homemade pizza. I'm trying to bake it at a very high temp to really crisp it up, but I don't think I'm there yet. I'm paranoid about burning things.
Sun- roast pork, mashed potatoes, vegetables, homemade applesauce. The applesauce was a great plan to use up some apples from our neighbor's tree. I had some granny smith's too- I like the tart taste they add. However, I made it using the crock pot, and I didn't realize until right before dinner that it was too wet. So it came out baby food texture. Kids wouldn't touch it, husband liked it. I cooked it down some after dinner, and husband ate the rest over the next days.
Mon- leftover pork and potatoes for husband, chicken strips and tater tots for kids.
Tues- soccer game right at dinner time, so soccer son ate grilled cheese and PB sandwich early, then the rest of us has quick grilled cheese and chips right before the game. Though I think one son had mostly chips.
Wed- baked chicken, fried rice, plain rice, broccoli. A bagel for the picky eater.
Thurs- so tired and no meat defrosted, so tacos. I can microwave the hamburger meat a little to get it unfrozen, though I don't have good luck doing that with chicken or other cuts. It always seems to start cooking.
Like you, I'm working more this semester, so my usual boring menus are even more insipid. However I am doing better about using leftovers, so that's a plus.
I always admire how you have leftovers to enhance a dinner or to feed someone who doesn't like the dish or comes home late. Your fridge must be enormous.
A mixed bag for baking this week- brownies the boys made over the weekend ( too much sugar but tasty) cc cookies, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, mediocre muffins to use up cream that was a little off. triple chocolate bars.
I hope everyone has a joyful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Are corn tortillas the go to due to diet restrictions or is it just a preference on your household?

My husband left Thursday to go through Captain upgrade training so I made food to have extras that I thought would freeze well to send with him.
I don’t remember what we had on Friday and Saturday….
Sunday: white chicken chili
Monday: pot roast with root vegetables
Tuesday: chili
Wednesday: spaghetti with homemade chicken meatballs
Thursday: salmon with rice and green beans

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: Oh, that's the worst when kids try something and take against it and then won't eat it even when you fix it. Yay for husbands. :-) My fridge is not enormous. It's a barebones, freezer on top Frigidaire from probably the 1990s, if not earlier. Although I do think I can get more in there than the fancy side-by-side models or the arrangement with freezer drawer things. Having a wide-open box makes it easier to arrange things for maximum stuffing, I think.

Anonymous: That's very thoughtful of you to cook so your husband can take food with him. If he's a commercial pilot, I'm sure he gets very, very tired of road food. I know my brother the pilot does. And if he's military (either could be captains, so I wasn't sure which you meant), homecooked food away from home is always a treat. Corn tortillas mostly for diet reasons, although I grew up with them used in enchiladas, so of course that's what I think is correct.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Monday - Potato soup, cucumbers, cheese, bread

Tuesday - When I make potato soup I make a lot so we can transform leftovers to clam chowder...which is what we had with crackers and a beer to share

Wendsday - Had alot of odd vegetable leftovers so I made oddment salads, roast potatoes to go with

Thursday - Husband had a co worker give him a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread (idk either...guys do the weirdest things at times) anyway, made french toast with it, scrambled eggs on the side along with the last banana to share

Friday - Grocery store here I come (not my idea of fun) I think I'll pick up what I need for chicken scampi and peppers over angel hair pasta (yes, we eat our scampi with pasta heathens that we are...not sorry)

Happy weekend everyone!

Anonymous said...

takeout
zucchini pizza, garlic knots, salad
grd. beef/potatoes taco style, sauteed broccoli/mushrooms/onions
chicken/squash/stuffing casserole, salad
fish tacos, tomatoes
spaghetti/meatballs, brussels sprouts
And for tonight chicken patties, roasted potatoes, broccoli
Linda

Anonymous said...

Kristin: You are right! My husband is a pilot for American Airlines.
-Andra

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Andra: Oh, well then congratulations to him for making captain! And to you for flying solo (ha) yourself for so many years. The life of a pilot's spouse is often very challenging, I know. My dad was a commerical pilot, as well.

JP2GiannaT said...

I've made pizza sandwiches with leftover hot dog buns that sound really similar to your pizza hogies.

Kit said...

Friday-bologna and cheese sandwiches, salad
Saturday-meat pies, fresh lima beans, apple pie
Sunday-turkey in a tortilla with lettuce and tomatoes
Monday-salmon, baked potatoes, green beans
Tuesday-Chinese pork and beans, rice
Wednesday-scrambled eggs and oven fried potatoes, peas
Thursday-hamburger stew in the crockpot

Natalie J said...

My husband does a fair amount of cooking, but he refuses to make enchiladas with corn tortillas. If he makes them, it's with flour tortillas. So if I want corn tortillas for the enchiladas, I know it's up to me haha

Also, I’ve gotten my taste back after having covid! So talking about food is exciting again 🙂

Sunday: Leftover pizza. Exciting, I know haha
Monday: Saag paneer with store bought frozen garlic naan on the side
Tuesday: Leftovers
Wednesday: “Chicken and rice” by the preschooler’s request. It’s a slow cooker meal that has cream cheese and a packet of Italian seasoning
Thursday: More leftovers
Friday: Stuffed pepper skillet
Saturday: After helping my youngest sister move into her new apartment, we took her out to Wendy's