Tuesday, December 28, 2021

T.T.: In Honor of My 42nd Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday. To commemorate the occasion, I took a special Morning Walk Photo:


A selfie with the rising sun. And my faithful companion in the background.

Of more practical use to all of you, however, is the following recipe for Grandma Bishop's Chocolate Cake.

I have mentioned this cake many, many times in my Friday Food posts. It's my go-to cake, because it's so easy and good. The recipe came from the MiL's grandmother. The original name of it was Dom Econ cake (as in, Domestic Economy).

The Dom Econ cake recipe is associated with Cornell University. It's possible Grandma Bishop, who attended Cornell, learned it there. The recipe I have from the MiL indicates that it's circa 1910. 


My actual recipe.

She may also have learned it from a women's club she belonged to that almost certainly received information, recipes, and demonstrations from Cornell's Agricultural Extension program.

In any case, this recipe has now been in the family for over a century.

Grandma Bishop's great-great grandson (Cubby) made it for me yesterday for my birthday. It's easy enough that an 11-year-old can just follow the recipe. And it uses only one mixing bowl. And no electric mixer.

If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is.

So, without further ado, I present to you . . .

Grandma Bishop's Chocolate Cake 
* Recipe as written makes one cake layer.

Ingredients

2 well-rounded tablespoons cocoa ("well-rounded" means "heaping")

1/4 cup lard OR 1/3 cup butter at room temperature

1/2 cup boiling water

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup all-purpose flour

pinch of salt

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup buttermilk or full-fat plain yogurt

Instructions

1) Butter and flour an 8"x8" pan, or 9" round cake pan. If you want to be very sure the cake comes out cleanly, cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan and then butter and flour it.

2) Put cocoa, lard or butter cut into pieces, and boiling water in medium bowl. Stir until all the fat melts.

3) Stir in the sugar, flour, and salt.

4) When combined, stir in the egg and vanilla.

5) In the measuring cup you used for the flour and sugar, put the buttermilk or yogurt and quickly stir in the baking soda. It will foam up. It's fun.

6) Add the buttermilk/yogurt mixture to the batter in the bowl and mix it all together quickly. Pour into prepared pan.

7) Bake at 350 degrees for about twenty minutes, until a toothpick stuck in the middle comes out clean.

8) Let cool completely before upending the pan to take the cake out. Frost as you like. Or, if you're like me and aren't so into frosting, just dust the top with some powdered sugar.


Yum. 

Thanks, Grandma Bishop. Your memory (and your cake) lives on.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated Birthday!
I will definitely make this cake.
Linda

mil said...

Don't be scared of the lard. If you have good lard (non-processed), the chocolate flavor really blooms. A few years back, the NYTimes featured an article advocating lard as the fat to use when baking with chocolate, specifically cocoa. I don't let the cake cool completely before removing it from the pan, because once when I was a teenager, my cooled cake stuck badly to the pan, an experience that seems to have seared itself into my memory. I use a whisk for mixing, which helps prevent any flour lumps. Sifting in the flour is not a bad idea. I doubt that one would have to do that in a dry climate, where flour is less likely to lump. And one other thing that I JUST learned -- use regular cocoa, NOT dutch-processed. One needs the acid in regular cocoa (i.e. Hershey's or the like) to react with the soda to make the cake rise.

Gemma's person said...

Yes,yes, Happy Birthday!
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe , so kind of you.

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday! Mary in MN

sheila said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Lisa said...

Happy belated birthday!

Tammy said...

Happy bday!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice birthday- sunshine and cake baked for you! I really love these old recipes and have a lot of old cookbooks, but the family connection makes it even better. Think I’ll try it tonight.
You look lovely in your photo, by the way.

Kit said...

happy birthday! and may you have many more!

Anonymous said...

I rarely comment on the few blogs I read, but I thought this was a good time to say how much I enjoy reading your posts, and I’m wishing you a happy belated birthday! (I believe I found you through your “city cousin” Kristen. 🙂)
From Cheryl in Illinois

Claire said...

Happy birthday! I love that picture of you, you're glowing!
Love from Switzerland