Tuesday, November 15, 2022

A New Mexico Tradition

I have learned many new things since moving to New Mexico, a place with a very long and unique history. One of those things is the job of a church mayordomo. 

There's a little history of the word and its associations here, but in the present day, the mayordomo is what is referred to as a sacristan elsewhere. Mayordomos care for the church and prepare for the service. So, cleaning, turning on (and off) the heat in the winter, opening and closing the church for services, ringing the bell, making sure all the proper materials are on hand before services, and so on.

Our very small church only had two ladies doing this, and they really wanted some more help. Which is how I ended up being a mayordomo in a tiny village in New Mexico.

Because I have to get there early and stay after Mass, I go in a separate vehicle. A. brings the kids later. This means that when I unlock the door at 7:15 a.m., I get to go into a completely silent church.


A bit dark, too, since I have to turn on the lights, obviously.

As I was sitting in there Sunday morning before anyone else showed up, I was thinking how rare it is nowadays to be in a building that really is completely silent. No humming machines or movement of any kind. When the heat is off in the church, it is really silent. 

So restful.

And then I shatter the silence by ringing the bell, which is actually pretty fun because it's a real bell with a long rope to yank on. How many people get to do that anymore?

Although I am a somewhat reluctant mayordomo, there are some compensations. Silence and bells. Both rare in the modern world, but still appreciated.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely church!
Linda

Anonymous said...

I know the feeling, as I have frequently been the person who slips into church with flowers or whatever. Sitting in a quiet church rests the mind as well as the soul. MIL

Gemma's person said...

Cool.

Kit said...

I was a sacristan where we lived before and I loved the atmosphere in the empty church.

And your church is beautiful!

Karen. said...

Silence and bells. Yes.