Friday, November 4, 2022

Friday Food: Wanna See My Refrigerator?

Friday 

Short version: Salmon patties, German potato salad, green salad with ranch dressing

Long version: All the dill in all the things! I still had the bouquet of dill in the refrigerator, so I used some with three cans of salmon we got from the excess commodities to make salmon patties. And then I used some in this potato salad (half the sugar, though, and regular onion). And then some in the ranch dressing.

Saturday

Short version: Halloween party food

Long version: This was the night of the village's Halloween celebration. The (only) restaurant serves a buffet that this year included pulled pork, tortillas, coleslaw, and lots of desserts. So that's what we ate.

I haven't been taking many pictures lately, because I haven't had the phone at home, but I do have this photo of my refrigerator. Someone commented awhile ago that I must have a giant refrigerator. I do not. I have a barebones, old-school box that was here when we moved in. It manages to hold a surprising quantity of food. 


Fitting it all in, however, is very much like Tetris. A game I was always very fond of, as it happens.

Sunday

Short version: Brisket, boiled potatoes, sick-girl soup, green salad with ranch dressing, sub-par peaches and cream

Long version: I had actually cooked this brisket a few days earlier when I already had something planned for dinner that night, figuring I would be glad to have it some night when I didn't have time or really didn't want to cook. Which was this night.

All I needed to do for the brisket was re-heat it in the oven. And it was a good thing I had it, because Poppy woke up sick and asked for soup. So I made some for her with the liquid from the brisket, some of the diced meat, some of the boiled potatoes, some already-cooked and pureed squash, and a bit of the pesto that was still in the refrigerator.

We had gotten a whole flat of peaches from excess commodities, which were unfortunately just like all commercial peaches: gross. They were getting kind of wrinkly and a bit soft, but also were all brownish and dry. A dry peach is a crime against nature. They were also crunchy. Kind of like apples.

So weird.

I still peeled and diced some with sugar so the boys could cover it with cream. With enough sugar and cream, even crunchy peaches will be consumed.

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, bean and cheese quesadillas, still-frozen peas, CANDYCANDYCANDY

Long version: This was both a work day for me and Halloween. There was also a volleyball game at school right after the school day was over. So the plan was for everyone to stay at school for the game and have dinner at the concession stand, and then go trick-or-treating while we were still in the village.

Poppy being sick complicated this, however. She didn't go to school and was with A. all day while I was at work. I needed to go home to take care of her instead of staying for the volleyball game, so in the end, only Cubby stayed for the game. The rest of us went home and I made the children quesadillas with the flour tortillas Cubby had picked out at the store, cheese, and some of my pressure-canned pinto beans.

A. and I had leftover brisket, potatoes, and peas.

And then we all went trick-or-treating (even Poppy--she wasn't going to get anyone sick walking around outside, and I couldn't bear to deprive her of all the Halloween fun stuff) and the children ate far too much candy. As is proper on Halloween.

Tuesday

Short version: Green chile beef stew, cheddar cheese, baked peaches and cream

Long version: I had one last package of stew beef in the freezer, so I, uh, made stew. Meat, onions, garlic, beef stock, green chile, carrots and potatoes. I made this because we were at church for All Saint's Day Mass at 5 p.m. and didn't get home until after 6 p.m. Stew is an excellent make-ahead meal.

I peeled and cut up a bunch of the weird hard peaches and cooked those with a bit of honey and lemon juice in the oven while the stew was in there. This softened them, and they were better than the raw form. Of course, they were really just a vehicle for the heavy cream and maple syrup I served them with, but they were at least eaten happily.

Wednesday

Short version: Breakfast sausage patties, rice, green salad with vinaigrette, applesauce

Long version: Look! It's a work night without leftovers! Not that it was a particularly challenging meal, but I still like to pat myself on the back.

I made the rice for the one child who came home from school with a delicate stomach. I made the rice with rooster stock instead of plain water, because that way it doesn't need a bunch of butter to taste good. Of course, adding butter to the rice cooked in the stock is the best of everything, but just the stock rice is better for iffy stomachs.

The applesauce was also for that child, but I couldn't very well leave the other children out, so they got some, too.

Thursday

Short version: Pot roast, potatoes, frozen green peas, rice pudding

Long version: It appears the theme of my fall kitchen is big pieces of beef cooked a long time in the oven simultaneously with a giant dish of rice pudding. No one has complained yet.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


13 comments:

mbmom11 said...

With one son playing Jr high basketball, and teen daughter busy, motivation to cook meals has eluded me.
Fri- pasta and sausage. Maybe broccoli but probably not.
Sat- I was at our schools's trunk or treat with Jr high son, so wasn't my problem. Luckily, son had brought home a leftover pizza from Jr high dance, so that took care of some. When I returned from trunk or treat, those who forgot to eat got grilled cheese.. I had rise crispness.
Sun- new fryer purchased, so chicken strips and assorted fried potato products. Applesauce.
Mon- lasagna , mostly vegetarian with one end had some italian sausage.homemade bread - underproved but tasty. Tortilla and cheese for picky kids. Then trick or treating. Teen took small kids for me, Jr high son went with a friend( without asking permission but he knows better now) and I manned the door. We had over 200 come- lovely weather.
Tues- leftover lasagna, tortilla chips and cheese.
Wed- first basketball game. So grilled cheese and fries in shifts. After the game, I made Jr high boy scrambled eggs with leftover breakfast sausage, and little boy got some too. I think i had rice crispies again.
Thurs- out of town with picky eater for Dr appt, so planned tacos. Managed to get home in time to cook it for them. Tortilla and cheese for picky eater ( he'd gotten chicken nuggets after the appt, so don't feel bad for him). I had rice cripes, and I am now tired of them .
With Halloween, not much dessert baking. Brownies and cookies over the weekend. Cheese braid twice, cinnamon rolls this morning, banana bread somewhere.
Enjoy your fall weekend!

Jenlee said...

I am so jealous of the canned salmon as that is one of the rare types of fish I will eat. Back when it was t so high, I would make a Salmon Stew and have it for every meal until it was gone. It's $5 a can now, so I haven't made it in over 2 years. The recipe was so simple and had few ingredients so it was always on my winter menu.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jenlee: Yes, canned salmon used to be cheaper alternative to canned tuna. Now they're about the same price, and not all of my children really like the salmon, so I buy tuna. I'll certainly use the salmon when we get it for free, though.

Kit said...

Friday-leftover hamburger crockpot stew.
Saturday-turkey and green chilies with cornbread topping, broccoli
Sunday-roast chicken, baked potatoes, coleslaw
Monday-stirfried pork and broccoli, rice
Tuesday-eggs with green tomatoes and peppers, fresh bread
Wednesday-salmon loaf, potatoes, tossed salad
Thursday-leftover turkey, coleslaw
and candy, candy, candy!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a peach variety meant for commercial canning and then poorly handled. Cook 'em up! MiL

Andra said...

The week was a blur…I did my best to remember.
Saturday: I told my family we need all the veggies right now. Took the kids out to see my dad and made dinner at his house. I did basmati rice mixed with rice cauliflower, green beans, turkey loin with brown sugar and bourbon seasoning

Sunday: I was up all Saturday night with the dog…again. So, I think we ate leftovers but it’s all a blur now.

Monday: We did our traditional meal for Halloween….chili and rotelle dip… My kids won’t eat chili so my daughter had noodles with rotelle dip and the other wanted fish.

Tuesday: leftovers

Wednesday: Fish, rice, green beans… I can’t remember the vegetable but I think it was green beans.

Thursday: leftovers

Friday: Spaghetti

Anonymous said...

takeout
baked chicken w/sweet potatoes/broccoli, garlic knots on the side
leftovers
zucchini/ground beef casserole, roasted carrots, garlic knots
spaghetti squash w/marinara & meatballs, salad, garlic knots
chicken/spinach casserole, roasted potatoes, garlic knots
Takeout as our electric was off for many hours, so I will have leftovers for tomorrow night instead of our usual takeout on Saturday.
Linda

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Sunday - Tacos.

Monday - Taco leftovers and brownies for dessert.

Tuesday - Vegetable soup, grilled cheese sandwiches

Wendsday - Tomato and onion tart/pie, cucumbers, bread

Thursday - Pork chops, fried apples, cottage cheese, bread.

Friday - Had some leftover pork chops and random veggies so I cobbled together fried rice, fried apples to go with.

Saturday - Plan on making twice baked potatoes and green salad.

Happy weekend everyone!

JP2GiannaT said...

I make fruit crisp when I find myself with a weird glut of fruit like that. The baked peaches sound really good though, I'll have to remember that.

Halloween was pizza at a relative's house before trick or treating.

All Saints day was tacos made with a clearance package of pre-seasoned chicken and leftover beans.

All Souls' Day was a restaurant meal (taqueria, it's kind of our tradition).

The end of the week was soup, chicken soup with a mix I found when I cleaned out the pantry one night, and a bean and veggie soup the next. No one complained, thankfully.

Tonight will probably be crockpot pork something or other.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

JP2: The baked peaches actually weren't great, but I suspect that was because the peaches were so inferior to begin with. They didn't have much flavor after being baked. Good peaches would no doubt make for good baked peaches. I probably will make a crisp with the rest of them for dessert tomorrow. They could use the help of a spiced oat topping.

JP2GiannaT said...

If you have any more flavorful fruit, even dried fruit, the peaches could be a "stretcher". I've done that with a scant amount of berries and apples before.

Natalie J said...

This week was crazy but let’s see what I remember!

Sunday: Was supposed to be a BBQ chicken and cornbread thing, but we ended up scrounging leftovers together
Monday: A Jack o lantern shaped pizza with salad before trick or treating
Tuesday: Spaghetti with leftover sauce
Wednesday: I was on an accreditation team for another school, which means I was gone 7-7 Wednesday and Thursday, and the school fed us breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Dinner this night was some tasty gluten free taco soup and clam chowder (one of our team members was gluten free). No idea what my family ate, haha
Thursday: Gluten free lasagna that I wouldn’t have guessed was gluten free! Turns out the principal at this school is a really good gluten free cook
Friday: The BBQ chicken and cornbread that we were supposed to cook on Sunday
Saturday: Leftovers

Tu mere said...

Looks like your refrigerator every time we visit!