Sunday, November 6, 2022

Snapshots: Breaking News

A very important announcement to start off our Snapshots today: I have a brand-new washing machine.


Cue the Hallelujah Chorus.

Our previous washing machine was purchased used two years ago, and has been dying a slow death for a few months. It finally stopped agitating completely, among other problems, and I declared the time had come for a new machine. A REAL new machine this time. 

But of course, we live a long way from new appliances, so it took a week or so before A. drove the many miles to an appliance store. During that time I was once again doing laundry in the bathtub and re-confirming my belief that I would have been a terrible pioneer woman.

Anyway.

A. did eventually get to the store. He bought a commercial Maytag washing machine, and my socks are once again white. Yay.

Moving on . . .


Samson was waiting at his takeout window for his hay when I went out in the morning.


So was Bill. He has his own window.


A moody walk yesterday morning.


Jasper is invariably cheerful, regardless of the weather.


Those clouds brought snow later in the day.


We ended up with about a quarter inch, which melted fifteen minutes after it stopped because the sun came out. Welcome to New Mexico.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

10 comments:

Gemma's person said...

How many quarters does the machine take per load? ;) AND who gets them?
Great improvement over the bathtub...bleh.

Anonymous said...

Yay! Great news on the new washer!

mbmom11 said...

Does the commercial machine wash better than a typical household machine? I've only had the standard kind (many of them over the years!).

Andra said...

Yay for a new washing machine!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: Well, it works better than one that doesn't agitate. :-) It seems to be working well. This one has some "deep water" cycles, which are good for the really dirty, large loads I have regularly. Also, it has an actual agitator, and it's made almost entirely of metal, rather than plastic. AND, NO DIGITAL BUTTONS. I insist on knobs. Digital displays always break. It was either Maytag or a Speedqueen--another notable maker of commercial-quality machines for home use--and A. decided this one looked better when he examined them at the store.

Andra said...

A friend’s husband was an appliance repair technician and he recommended a washing machine that had minimal digital components. The less fancy the better.

Juli E. said...

The last washer and dryer we bought had the knobs and no fancy digital displays. The sales person told me only elderly wanted that model…. As if he thought that would sway me away from that set !

Tu mere said...

This isn’t the first time you’ve used the bathtub, so very happy you got your replacement washer. It’s not like you rarely do wash! Love the horse photos and comment about windows really clever, but sad to see winter’s coming quickly to put your garden to sleep. Your garden stuff tastes so much better than bought. Oh well.

Elaine N said...

I am SO HAPPY that someone has dared to write about the elephant in the room - HE washing machines are designed to work well for about 3 years but they continue to operate for another God-knows-how-many years without getting the stinky dirt off your clothes. As the water lowers and leaves the drum, the dirt remains on the contents.
How can this be an environmental improvement?
I am shocked at how many people wear dingy smelly clothes without knowing it. Several of them are relatives of mine and I don't know how to tell them. I stayed in an Airbnb last year that had such smelly bedding that I removed it, put it outdoors on the porch and slept on a bare mattress with my coat as a blanket. I guess that makes me crazy.

Elaine N said...

OK, I'm off my soapbox. Congratulations on no more tub laundry!!