Friday, January 27, 2023

Friday Food: A Very Beefy Week

Friday 

Short version: Barbecue meatballs, baked beans, garlic bread, dilly beans

Long version: I only made two pounds of ground beef into meatballs, which made 18 meatballs. I wasn't sure that would be enough, so I also made baked beans using another of the giant cans of pinto beans we got from the school a couple of years ago.

We were pretty low on vegetables, which is why I went with dilly beans. Just emulating our pioneer forebears, who didn't have Misfits Market and relied on pickled vegetables in the winter.

Saturday

Short version: Bull enchilada casserole, squash, cinnamon sugar crust trimmings

Long version: Still grimly working my way through the chewy bull. All of the boys agreed while they were eating this that they love casseroles, so it's certainly the most popular use for the bull meat.

The squash was one A. had bought a few months ago just because he liked the way it looked. It's been sitting in the corner of my entryway ever since. I finally got tired of seeing it there and cooked it. It tasted fine, so A. saved the seeds.

It was a very big squash. I put two quart bags of pureed squash in the freezer, used some to make a pumpkin pie for the next day, and still had a lot of squash in the refrigerator. We ate some with butter, but since only four of us eat it, it doesn't go very fast that way.


Well, four of us plus the chickens. They get the skins after I scoop out the flesh. They're not as picky as some children I know.

Sunday

Short version: Shepherd's pie, pumpkin pie with whipped cream

Long version: An inadvertent Day of Pie. I made the pumpkin pie the day before because I had just baked that big squash and thus had lots of pureed squash on hand, and still had a ball of dough for a single pie crust in the freezer from Thanksgiving.

The shepherd's pie was a little bit unusual because I didn't have enough carrots for the meat part, so instead I put some of the pureed squash in there. Not enough that it was detectable, though. And instead of frozen peas, I used a can of green beans, because we get a ton of those from commodities. It made for a somewhat ugly meat mixture.


No one is eating this with their eyes first.

Very tasty, though.

Monday

Short version: Many leftovers

Long version: Enchilada casserole, shepherd's pie, baked beans, and squash all to choose from. Plus some still-frozen green beans for the children, who will never voluntarily choose squash.

Tuesday

Short version: Sirloin steaks, mashed potatoes, pureed squash, sauerkraut, still-frozen green beans, cookies

Long version: Am I perhaps leaning somewhat heavily on the frozen green beans for the children who generally dislike the winter options for vegetables (i.e. squash and sauerkraut)? Yes. But it's fine.

This week's cookie-jar cookies were kind of like the snack cookies, although I used sugar instead of honey in them, and used slightly more sweetener than the snack cookie recipe. They still had quick oats and peanut butter and walnuts and chocolate chips. There's a lot going on in these cookies. The children were very pleased with them, however, and I am always pleased when they're eating a cookie that has at least a small amount of protein in it. 

Wednesday

Short version: Hamburger-vegetable stew, bread and butter, cheese, grapes

Long version: I made this stew on Sunday just so I would have it for my work lunches this week. I guess you could also call it a soup, but it was really thick with a bunch of stuff, which is how I like soup. Anyway, it had a pound of ground beef in it, plus a quart of concentrated rooster stock, onion, garlic, carrot, celery, pureed squash, pureed tomatoes, the last of some already-cooked spinach that was in the freezer, and diced potatoes.

There wasn't quite enough for all of us--and I had had some at work for lunch--so I had hardboiled eggs mashed with butter, salt, and pepper, and scooped up with rye crisps. Very satisfying, provided there's enough butter in the eggs.

There was a Misfits Market box waiting for me when I got home, so we all had some grapes from that while we were waiting for A. to get home from his bus run.

Thursday

Short version: Homecoming food

Long version: We always go to the homecoming basketball games at our school. There are four games (JV girls, JV boys, varsity girls, varsity boys) and then the homecoming court coronation. It's a LONG afternoon and evening. 

I did bring some food--walnuts, apples, and cookies--but I also let the kids each choose one thing from the concession stand for their dinner. Two got burritos, one got a hot dog, and one got Frito pie.

A. had to drive the school bus, so he went home after that and had a grilled cheese sandwich before coming to pick up the two kids who didn't want to stay for all of it. He got some nachos when he joined us at the school.

I ate the last few chips from the Frito pie, walnuts, an apple, and some granola when we got home.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?


13 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- we had a big lunch out of town- Chinese food and pizza and donuts and cake- so when we got home in the evening it was simple stuff. Leftover pizza, probably scrambled eggs.
Sat- I had made lentil stew and oatmeal bread to bring to a bereaved neighbor, and I can never make a small amount of that. (The recipe calls for 1 c. of lentils- the bag I bought had a little over 2 cups, so I doubled it. And if I'm chopping up onions I'm not doing half an onion- I just throw the whole thing in. ) so husband had lentil stew and kids had bread , bacon, and applesauce.
Sun- stew, biscuits, vegetables.
Mon- hamburgers, fries, chicken strips.applsauce.
Tues- salad for husband, bacon etc for kids.
Wed- leftover stew, bacon, leftover veg.
Thurs- I had to work at concession stand, so I left a salad for husband, tortilla chips and cheese and pretzels for kids at home , hot dog and popcorn for the boys who came with me to work the concessions. I had popcorn, and too much toast when I got home. It was not an organized night.
It seems when I'm too tired to cook , I make bacon , which the boys love, so I can get away with bacon , bread, and applesauce.

samcarter said...

Sunday was leftover pizza stuff, as usual. We have found, to our delight, that La Banderita flour tortillas (the smaller ones) make absolutely fantastic pizza crusts, if you like thin crust pizza, which most of us do. This means I have to bake fewer homemade crusts. I like baking, don't get me wrong, but now I can just bake one batch (for the holdouts who like the thicker homemade crusts) using my wonderful toaster oven, rather than firing up the big oven to make three batches. Yay.

Monday: tuna burgers with mashed potatoes, gravy, and frozen mixed vegetables.

Tuesday was burgers, cooked by #2 kiddo, and tater tots. I think I sliced up some cucumbers too. It is hard to convince teens and young adults that vegetables are food sometimes.

Wednesday was hamburger stew, cooked by my oldest, and the youngest had leftover hamburgers and chips and apple slices.

Thursday was #2’s 18th birthday, and he requested homemade lasagna, corn (he thinks it’s a vegetable side dish, sigh), garlic bread, and brownies.

Friday, tonight, will be leftover lasagna (we have two pans! I made three), leftover hamburger stew, and whatever else people want. Easy.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: Mine love bacon, too, although I rarely make it for dinner. Maybe I should.

samcarter: My children also believe corn to be a perfectly acceptable vegetable. Then again, A. considers potatoes a vegetable, so maybe it's genetic.

Anonymous said...

Hello, this week we ate:

Monday - Refried beans topped with onions, jalapenos, a sprinkle of cheese, sirracha, salt and pepper...this we scooped up with corn chips...one of my go to dinners when I'm just to tired to even look at the stove let alone tie on an apron.

Tuesday - Baked potatoes, ham steaks , celery, bell peppers and carrots sticks with ranch.

Wendsday - Had some very small potatoes left in the bag so I made crash potato's. Side salad to go with.

Thursday - Coconut yams and fried plantations topped with cashews on wild/white rice. Sliced banana to clear out the fruit bowl.

Friday - The plan is to roast up a lone chicken breast that was lurking in our freezer which will be chopped and added to kasha to stretch it...along with whatever vegetables I bump into in the fridge. Brownies for dessert.

Saturday - Grocery run day so what's for dinner depends on what I can find on sale...food prices...woof. as you may have noticed...Haha... (husband definitely has...he's a sport about it though...he was appalled at the price of burger and chicken last time he looked) anyway,

Happy weekend everyone.

Anonymous said...

takeout
dirty rice w/ grd. beef, broccoli
barbeque sandwiches, salad
tuna divan, sweet potatoes, garlic knots
spaghetti/meatballs, zucchini/mushrooms
crockpot chicken/vegetables, garlic knots
and for tonight shrimp taco's, peaches
Linda

Kit said...

Friday-pork, leftover scalloped potatoes, coleslaw
Saturday-curried chicken, rice, peas
Sunday-beef stew
Monday-leftover spinach soup, leftover cheesy biscuits
Tuesday-bacon, eggs, oven fried potatoes
Wednesday-leftovers of choice, soup, curry and/or stew. And coleslaw.
Thursday-enchiladas from the freezer, broccoli

Mei said...

Friday: Pretzel Crusted Chicken with Apricot Sauce, Green Beans
Saturday: Spicy Chicken Parmesan, fried zucchini
Sunday: Maple Bacon Dijon-glazed Salmon, broccoli
Monday: Cajun-style Turkey Pasta, Kale
Tuesday: Meatloaf, Cheddar Broccoli
Wednesday: Cheddar and Bacon Chicken, Roasted Zucchini
Thursday: Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken, Roasted Brussels sprouts

JP2GiannaT said...

Monday: soup I threw together from leftover frozen cooked turkey and veggies. We had sickness in the house.
Tuesday: turkey noodle casserole with the rest of the cooked turkey
Wednesday: sausage and did sauerkraut, sausage, and potato skillet. Homemade pretzels.
Thursday: pasta bake with hamburger meat and red sauce
Friday: lentil mujadra, because hubby is out of the house tonight. He hates them, so I gotta time cooking them when he's gone.

Andra said...

Meal plan
Saturday: fish, rice, broccoli, scalloped potatoes (umm from a box)
Sunday: I was starting to feel fatigued by the evening so I told my husband it was a fend for yourself night. We attended a luncheon right after church since he serves on the welcomes committee. I got some thing for my four-year-old to eat and my daughter was not hungry since she attended the luncheon then a birthday party where she had more food and then went to a game night at another person‘s house and I think was offered more food.
Monday: after I got both kids to school I went back to bed. When I woke up, I realized I was running a temperature so I got up long enough to prep the chicken for my husband to put in the oven and then he made macaroni and cheese (again, from a box) and canned green beans. He didn’t quite time how to make it so that it all came out at the same time, but it was edible. The chicken was a little dry. He told me that he left it in the oven and started the sides when the timer went off for the chicken. I said whatever… You managed to get dinner on the table with minimal help from me and did the clean up
Tuesday: I somehow managed to compress a nerve in my back, so I had to take a trip to the doctors office to rule out a UTI and then get a steroid to reduce the inflammation so that I could move again. When I got back I threw together spaghetti. Everyone seemed happy that Mom was up and moving again.
Wednesday: it was a fend for yourself kind of night… My husband is on a trip and the four year old started throwing up in the morning and continued All. Day. Long. I have no idea what my daughter ended up eating, but she promised me it had vegetables. I had a bowl of cereal in between episodes.
Thursday: leftovers
Friday: breakfast for dinner which consisted of scrambled eggs with onions and bell peppers and French toast

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Andra: That sounds like a terrible week. (But I did have to smile at your description of your household when you're sick. Sounds like mine.) I hope this week is much better for everyone.

Anonymous said...

The week is just getting worse. I had to make the decision to euthanize my dog. We had him for almost 15 years. He got sick overnight and refused to eat today. He was starting to have issues before today. We adopted him as a rescue when he was around 3 so he had a long life. It’s still hard though.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I'm so sorry. That's a hard thing.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, sorry. Been there. Hugs. For real though...long life being loved...that's a good thing and that's all that anyone or any thing can hope for.
Hugs...and your pupper thanks you to.

Hugs and slobbers.