Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Snapshots: Roll on Highway--Part 2

Picking back up in Port Aransas, which A. had chosen specifically because we could get on a party boat to fish in the bay. Because we had never done this before, he chose the largest, most well-known charter company. They offered several options for fishing excursions, from three-hour bay trips to six- or twelve-hour Gulf trips. Even a three-day tuna fishing expedition in which you sleep in bunks on the boat and fish night and day.

We didn't go with that last one.

Neither A. nor I were confident in the sea-worthiness of our stomachs, so he chose the three-hour* bay trip to minimize the motion of the boat. Also, this company had large boats, which meant they were somewhat steadier.


The boat passed their inspection.

All the fishing tackle and bait was included with the boat, along with two deckhands who would pretty much do everything for you if you wanted them to.

Off we went across the bay, zipping along and bouncing on the waves . . . and into the Gulf.


Heading out to sea.

We were not expecting to go out past the jetties and into the Gulf of Mexico, but that's what we did. The crew dropped anchor just outside the bay and the fishing began. 


Fish on!

This is also when I got sick.

I didn't throw up or anything, but I was definitely unhappy. I was the only one who felt ill, thankfully, and we only stayed in that particular spot for about twenty-five minutes before moving to a different spot closer into the bay. 

I recovered myself, although I still had no interest in fishing. Fishing is not an activity I care about at any time, so while I had a pole, it was mostly to increase the family's chances of catching anything. There was, in fact, a catfish on my pole at one point, which Calvin pulled in for me, but that was all "I" caught.

While we were fishing, we were passed by one of the giant oil tankers that pass through this port regularly. It's quite an experience to be passed by a ship this size.


Also cool to see the dolphins jumping only about twenty feet in front of the prow of this behemoth.

Everyone caught something (except A., but he didn't care). All they caught, however, were catfish and whiting. We were told that the cold snap the week before drove the fish out of the bay and into the warmer, shallower waters in the surrounding canals or whatever, although I don't think this is the best time of year for fishing there in any year.

The crew took the catfish off the line, explaining that they have a toxin on their skin that really burns if the fins cut you. They threw the catfish back in. The whiting they kept for bait. I guess they use it to catch sharks and so forth.

However, A. has at least tried to eat every kind of fish he has ever caught (with mixed results--don't bother with suckers because they're mushy and gross). So he asked the crew as we were disembarking if he could have some of the whiting. He told them he was going to be fishing all the next day and would like them for bait. He did use the smaller ones for fishing bait, but the bigger ones he fried for dinner that night.

They were excellent. So now you know, in the event you're ever presented with whiting to eat.

All of the boys loved the boat and wished we had gone on the longer trip. All of the girls, however, were quite happy to be done after three hours. And everyone was more than ready for lunch.

One of the deckhands had recommended a restaurant right next to the wharf as a superior place for a fish fry, and he was definitely right. There were huge plates of fried fish, shrimp, and oysters, and it was all fried perfectly. Everyone stuffed themselves and left happy.

Poppy really wanted to go see this giant shark tunnel thing outside a local shop. So after lunch and a rest, we went.


It was constructed like a tunnel that was entered through the mouth, and it went all the way back into the tail. It really was much cooler than I was expecting it to be.


This smaller shark was right next to the door of the same shop. Jack hammed it up for his photos with Jaws.

And that was the first full day at the sea. Tune in tomorrow for Part 3, in which the children have their first physical encounter with waves.

* Did I sing "A three-hour tourrrr" in my head? But of course.

6 comments:

Jenlee said...

My dad was born and raised in Horry County, SC, home of Myrtle Beach, so I grew up seeing the beach quite often and of course, took it for granted. I'm sure it was an amazing adventure for the kids. Here in the South, we would've thrown back the whiting and kept the catfish!! Personally, I detest fish in almost all forms. Canned tuna and canned salmon are as far as I'll go, but love scallops and shrimp. Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Andra said...

It sounds like such a fun adventure so far!

Mei said...

It is surprising how large ships are when one is so close!

JP2GiannaT said...

I've never been in the water with an oil tanker like that. That looks really neat.

And a little scary.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I bet the kids had a great time! Looks like it was a lot of fun!
Linda

Tu mere said...

Again, so cool. Literally and figuratively. Overcast and on the water would not be my idea of a fun adventure, unless I had a space heater right next to me. Sorry you had a bit of sea sickness. Good to know for future trips. I would have been with the “girls” in wanting to get off the boat. Glad, however, the boys left wanting more. Great way to begin to see the world outside of New Mexico and family locations.