Monday, January 2, 2023

Snapshots: Roll on Highway*--Part 1

A day late, yes, but definitely not a dollar--or any photos--short. 

We didn't get home until about 4 p.m. yesterday, and man, I was WRECKED. I definitely did not have any energy for writing or posting photos. But now, after a solid night's sleep in my own bed (YAY) and my first cup of proper coffee since leaving home, I feel capable of diving in to the snapshots from our trip.

Ready? Let's go!

The drive from our house to the sea is over 12 hours, and we can't realistically do that in one day with our crew, so we didn't even try. We planned on stopping for the night somewhere, and that meant we didn't need to leave punishingly early.

I was shooting for a 7 a.m. departure, so I told everyone we were leaving at 6:30 a.m. Sure enough, with everyone working towards leaving at 6:30, we were rolling away from the house at 7:05 a.m. 

We brought the dogs with us. Adventure Van is big enough that we can have a full-size dog crate set up in the back for Odin, to separate him from his brother so there's no growling and jockeying for space in the main part of the van.


Odin's van den.

Jasper just goes under the seats in the back, where the children sit.


Someone's gotta guard the toys.

And then, we drove. I drove across the entirety of Texas many years ago when I was helping to move my grandmother's things from Louisiana to Arizona, but I don't remember much of it. Perhaps because the way I drove then wasn't memorable. Or perhaps because I wasn't visually assaulted then by hundreds upon hundreds of wind turbines and their accompanying hideous infrastructure.

I really, really hate those giant wind turbines that have gone up in the past decade or so. They're just such an eyesore, and their constant spinning has a bad effect on me. Texas is COVERED with them. Particularly around Lubbock, apparently. I was not a fan.

Anyway.

The children were interested to see those oil derricks that look like giant birds continuously pecking the ground. I didn't take a photo of one, but if you google oil derrick, you'll see them.

I was less interested to note that we could actually smell the oil as we were driving through those areas. When we got off the main road for lunch, we drove by one of the derricks that had a sign warning of poisonous gas. Super.

Thankfully, the smell--and presumably the gas--wasn't bad where we actually were, which was the rodeo grounds in Post, Texas.

Why did we stop at rodeo grounds for lunch? Because we're never actually looking for food when we stop on the road. 


Ham and cheese sandwich assembly in the back of the van.

Instead, we're looking for a place both our children and our dogs can run. Parks are good, as long as there aren't too many people or other dogs. Empty rodeo grounds in small towns are perfect.


So much space to run in. So many fences to climb. Be free, small, feral things!

The good times have to end eventually, though, and all animals and people must be once again corralled in the van. 

More driving. More wind turbines. But also the beginnings of the Texas hill country, with its lovely oaks and turbine-free views.

We made it to Eden, Texas, this night and called it quits there at a really terrible motel. 

Fun fact! Eden is the geographical center of Texas.

Eden has embraced its name and there is, indeed, a garden there. It was actually quite cute, with lots of brightly painted animals made of tires and metal and so forth.


Poppy's favorite was, of course, the unicorn.

The hill country ends at San Antonio, which we had to drive through. That was possibly the low point of the second day. A. wanted to stop at one of the many historic missions there, but we got lost in the absolute chaos of the San Antonio freeway system and had a terrible time getting back on track. 

While we were enmeshed in the insanity of San Antonio, we saw a Bass Pro Shops in one of the shopping areas by the freeway and stopped to get our salt water fishing licenses. These were required for A. and me on the charter boat we were taking the next day.

This was the younger children's first experience with the wonder that is Bass Pro Shops--essentially Disneyland with a dead animal theme--and they were THRILLED.


Giant staircases!


AND ELEVATORS!

We did manage to find our way to the mission area and stopped for lunch at the Espada Acequia. This is a stone aqueduct that was built by the Franciscan missionaries around 1740 and has been continuously running there since then. They used the water to irrigate their gardens. I don't know where it goes now, but it is a very nice little water feature in the middle of the city.

Our destination was only a few hours past San Antonio, so we pushed on until at last, we reached the sea.

I woke up the next morning and brought my coffee out onto the front porch to enjoy the fog and palm trees.


And to avoid the children sleeping on pull-out beds in the living room.

Tune in for Part 2, in which we venture into the Gulf and we see if any of us are prone to seasickness.

* Somewhere around Lubbock, the song "Roll On" by Alabama came on the radio. I hadn't heard that song in years, but the refrain was so appropriate I had it on continual loop in my head (and often out loud as I sang it) for the rest of the trip. 

Roll on highway, roll on along
Roll on, Daddy, till you get back home.
Roll on family, roll on crew
Roll on, Mama, like I asked you to do.
And roll on, 18 wheeler, roll on.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

In cities, the Google maps app on my phone saves me, except in Boston, where the one-way streets confuse it. The old parts of cities are the worst for finding one's way through the overlay of freeways. I doubt I'll be in San Antonio, but thanks for the warning about driving, in any case.

Cathy W said...

I can smell the oil and picture your descriptions in my head from my own experiences from those trips across Texas. I've driven several times from Raleigh, North Carolina to Hobbs, NM. Sometimes we made the northern route down I40 to I30, other times down I85 to I20. Once we even dropped to the Gulf and took I-10.

I enjoyed reading about your trip. Hope the kids loved the ocean but not so much that they want you to make that trip often!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Nodding donkey: other name for those oil rigs

Anonymous said...

They are called pump jacks.
I don’t love the smell of the oil fields, but I do enjoy the sights of the pump jacks bobbing slowly up and down. I too detest the wind turbines. Sounds wonderful to be by the ocean.

Anonymous said...

Ha, when you mentioned in Friday Food that you'd stopped in Eden, I was going to ask how your hotel was. I was hoping your experience was better than mine, but it sounds like it was not. We worked in the Eden area for several weeks a couple different years and stayed in a hotel there that was beyond sketchy. The cleaning crew was a bunch of drunks -- quite literally, with Coors Light on the cleaning carts -- and it showed. I believe a Sonic is the only fast food in town (with the work we were doing and the hotel life, the fast food was inevitable) and it, too, is maximally awful. We no longer work in Eden and I am not sad; the rural people are nice and the countryside is interesting, but we found Eden itself to be pretty miserable.
--Karen.'s sister

Tu mere said...

Wow. Making those sandwiches in the back of the van brings back so many memories. Bread getting stale really fast in a dry summer wind is one that sticks out. Wish y’all could have spent time other than on the freeway in San Antonio. Some neat things to see, not to mention getting out of the car for a bit, but maps are only so good in congested metropolitan areas I guess.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Karen.'s sister: It was truly yuck. And I have stayed in some pretty bad motels. It wasn't even as cheap as it should have been, given the condition of the room and the location.

Tu mere: We were using the phone navigation, even! But I was reading the instructions to A., who was driving, and there was, uh, some disturbance in the car at the time, so everything kind of went sideways.

Mei said...

I am thinking to ask Jared to drive us from Oregon to our next assignment, where ever that may be. I wish to experience the family style road trip for myself. Of course, with my luck, that will be NAS Everett or some other close base. Wow... an entire 4 hour drive from home.

JP2GiannaT said...

Some thoughts:

-The Hill Country is, in my mind, the prettiest place on Earth. It's beautiful and well worth exploring if you're at all into hiking. There's also really interesting German culture there (Fredericksburg is a lot of fun in a kitchy way, and they have an awesome museum of the WWII Pacific theater).

-San Antonio traffic is awful, horrible, and no good, and I'm deeply sorry you had to experience it. Only Houston's is worse.

Bass Pro Shop is indeed awesome. I'm sorry you missed so much of the missions. The biggest one, Conception, is a weird mishmash of National Park service visitor center and exhibits mixed with a huge, VERY active parish where you might not be able to get into the Church because a quince or funeral is going on.

There's also a basilica dedicated to St Therese in San Antonio with a big fake wax dead body in a glass case, painted roses circling inside of the huge dome, and a painting in the basement that apparently St. Therese's sister painted for them when she heard they were building it. If you ever feel the need for some odd religious tourism.

-the wind turbines are all over down here too, not so much at the coast but definitely as you head west inland. They're really scary to stand or drive right underneath, and at night the whole skyline is full of red dots from the lights on them flashing in unison. I think they're ugly too, but we're the only state in the country where they make any sort of economic sense, so I get why they're being installed. Doesn't mean I like it.

-Im excited to see part 2!

Andra said...

I love the description of the Bass Pro Shop! Drinking coffee in the porch looks so peaceful.